multiparas ... oversupply/overactive letdown question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-19-2009, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter
k13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering what the experience of women with oversupply/overactive letdown issues and multiple children has been - specifically whether the issue has been consistent with each baby, gotten worse with subsequent babies or varied in some other way.

I have three daughters, and with my first I never had oversupply issues, or if I did - it didn't seem to bother her. She was a very mellow, content baby.

#2 was very colicky, and I had eliminated everything from my diet and tried every remedy available. I think I had oversupply/overactive letdown issues with her and didn't connect it with the colic... I attributed her fussiness with breastfeeding to her temperament.

With #3 I have recognized after just ten days that the issue is definitely oversupply/overactive letdown issues. I'm working on "correcting" it but it can be very frustrating when I remember how peaceful breastfeeding was with my first. I hate feeling like my baby has to struggle and live with discomfort because of my milk.

So I am curious why I never had the problems with the first. I EBF with both my older daughters until they were three. With my second I wondered if the "flood" of milk was due to my having nursed her older sister for so long - e.g. I was "primed" for it.

Anyone have any input on this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 02-19-2009, 02:15 AM

I have 5 sons and always had oversupply issues. First two colicky, third a projectile vomiter from too much milk. When he was 3 months I figured out how to regulate it, ie nursing on my back 3-4x a day to cause back pressure on the ducts. Fourth and fifth just got incredibly plump fast, starting with back nursing at birth. I also lost a baby (#6) at 21 weeks and got tons of milk. They told me that was very rare so they had not prepared me for it- ouch, my first real engorgement. Baby #7 due very soon.
#3 of 5 Old 02-19-2009, 02:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've had oversupply with all my children (4 total). In my experience, it was worse with my first because I wasn't really aware at how to manage it. I feel like I have better coping mechanisms now. I'm not sure why you had no issues with your first.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#4 of 5 Old 02-19-2009, 02:38 AM

I only have two so far but it was MUCH worse with #1. (dd) #2. it was quite mild.

-Angela
#5 of 5 Old 02-19-2009, 02:41 AM

I had serious oversupply with my firstborn, mild oversupply with my second (the only girl and least enthusiastic nurser, though she is still breastfed at almost 3), and the most ridiculous oversupply with this third one. Starting a few minutes after his birth, he latched on every forty minutes until my milk came in, which was 24 hours later. Now, nine weeks later, I routinely get up and change shirts at night because I soak completely through a Lansinoh disposable nursing pad in the five hours before he wakes up to nurse. It's insane!

Anyway, for me it hasn't been a steady progression of more and more oversupply. No real theory on why not.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page