is a 1 1/2 lb weight drop OK in a 8mo who started crawling and walking along things? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-20-2009, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so at DD highest weight she was 18lb 10oz---I can't remember quite when---hmmm maybe 5 mo? ---last time we saw any dr where we used to live--well so me moved and are in a new state---finally went into the dr now at 8 mo and she weighed 17lb 4oz ---i did not mention this to the ped as he was too busy being upset about no vaccines--(she had an ear infection)---SOOO what do you think? should i be worried?---
born 9lb 12oz and gained weight very quickly and stayed around or above 100%-----then I think about 6 mo started thinning out (started crawling AND walking along furniture--she has been on the GO every since)---
My son stayed big (not that big) and kept creeping down the percents at 6 months...

I HAVE been worried about my supply off and on and have always wondered (that's another story) but am just finally feeling good about having enough milk (she seems happy and eats longer than 5 minutes most times)--
she is NOT on solids (we've trialed a couple times and all have failed-) she reacts to dairy through my milk.

is this an ok drop in weight in such a big girl or should I be worried?!! THANKS
#2 of 15 Old 02-20-2009, 02:07 AM

Only you can know if something more is going on... if she is active, healthy looking, and developing normally then I would say that she is almost certainly fine even with the weight loss. My eldest Dd weighed a little over 17 lbs at 6 mos, and then barely 18 lbs at a year old... she barely gained at all - she just got taller and leaned out. I am very very sure if I had been weighing her each month during that time, I probably would have seen an actual drop in her weight. She was crawling, walking, climbing, laughing, playing, learning, and growing...I'm actually glad that I didn't know her weight each month because I figure I'd have become freaked out if I'd seen a dip!!

If she seems pale, listless, gaunt, or "off" in any way, then the weight becomes more significant. My advice is to look at her, watch her, and ignore the numbers on the scale.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#3 of 15 Old 02-20-2009, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

thank you--
yes she is a thriving happy and very smart child.
I figured it was fine--but then again hadn't had a child lose that much weight before.
#4 of 15 Old 02-20-2009, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

how many wet diapers should an EBF 8 mo old baby have a day anyways?
#5 of 15 Old 02-20-2009, 03:12 AM

I'm going to disagree with the previous poster. I certainly wouldn't panic as it sounds as though your little one is otherwise thriving and meeting appropriate developmental milestones. That said, it is worth further investigation. Babies often slow down their weight gain when they get active, but they really shouldn't lose weight. Some babies start off high on the growth charts and settle into the growth curve they actually follow after a few months, but they generally do this without losing any weight.

It is possible that your child has a medical issue causing this weight loss. It is more likely that your child is fine, but might just need more calories. Please see a pediatrician and discuss this further. (And if you aren't comfortable with your pediatrician, find a new one- there are a lot of great doctors out there!)

Mama to two sweet boys and a baby girl.  
#6 of 15 Old 02-20-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoElias View Post
I'm going to disagree with the previous poster. I certainly wouldn't panic as it sounds as though your little one is otherwise thriving and meeting appropriate developmental milestones. That said, it is worth further investigation. Babies often slow down their weight gain when they get active, but they really shouldn't lose weight.
:

Babies slow down how much weight they gain, but weight loss is not normal. It can happen with an illness, but they usually bounce back quickly. 1.5 lb loss is a lot - I'd definitely look into this more and talk to both a physician (family doc or pediatrician) and an LC.
#7 of 15 Old 02-20-2009, 10:03 AM

Yes, that would concern me. A slowing down in weight gain is normal....however that is quite different from a large weight loss. 1.5 lbs is about an 8% loss for her. If it were me, I would be more pro-active about getting more food into here....maybe work on increasing milk supply (either herbally, or whatnot) and really try to encourage the higher fat solids (like avocado) and maybe even supplementation with healthy oils (like coconut oil, olive oil, etc.). I would take measures to both increasing her milk intake (encouraging more nursing, nursing at night etc.) and her solid intake.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#8 of 15 Old 02-20-2009, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliabedelia View Post
Yes, that would concern me. A slowing down in weight gain is normal....however that is quite different from a large weight loss. 1.5 lbs is about an 8% loss for her. If it were me, I would be more pro-active about getting more food into here....maybe work on increasing milk supply (either herbally, or whatnot) and really try to encourage the higher fat solids (like avocado) and maybe even supplementation with healthy oils (like coconut oil, olive oil, etc.). I would take measures to both increasing her milk intake (encouraging more nursing, nursing at night etc.) and her solid intake.

wow okay I'm not sure what to do--find another dr and go tell him and he will tell me to supplement with formula?

I have a problem--I think she DOES need more calories maybe--she REALLY want to eat however everything I've trialed thusfar is a FAIL---I tried avacados first and she got huge hives--bananas and green beans--now I am waiting for her cold and ear infections to pass before i trial something else- maybe it was the different scales---I should go back to WIC and weigh her on their scale (with out allergies it wasn't worth it anymore)

I was under the impression that BM was enough calories--is that sometimes not the case? what about if she's sleeping through the night? wouldn't she be up if she were so hungry? also she eats every 3 hours and doesn't want to nurse more often--

what would be an example of an underlining medical problem causing the weght loss??!!!

should I maybe trial coconut next so I can add some fat? (I was planning on doing coconut smoothies w/veggies/fruit like MUCH later like 15mo.

thanks for all your advice and help--let me know what you think.

p.s. currently my son and I are getting tested for celiac or gluten intolerance and I know that can cause absorption problems but that would only affect her if she were having gluten---am I correcT? (I'm not giving her grain until a year becuase of this possibility)--just a thought-
#9 of 15 Old 02-20-2009, 02:49 PM

We went through something similar - we got a bad flu though, and I think that is what caused most of the weight drop. but I think he had a growth spurt too and get spent all of his energy growing up, and then some...YKIM?

my doc suggested fatty acid suppliments - i got some DHA from Dr. Sears site...also he suggested increasing those good fat foods, so we have been doing more olives, avocados, etc. We also do smoothies with coconut yogurt (a lot higher in fat than other yogurts).

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
#10 of 15 Old 02-20-2009, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

okay so I don't know if I imagined the 18lb weight but i can't find record of where it was she weighed that---am I imagining? the reason I dinstincly remember it is becuase that is why we decided to look into getting anew car seat becuase she was soon to outgrow her infant one--then we got a britax and next time we were at teh dr she was 17 and I was like what?!! K honestly I don't want to freak out about it if she really wasn't that high before. WOW either way I REALLY want to find some foods she can eat!! coconut yogurt is a great idea-- THANKS everyone--I think I may be going crazy--still would love an answer about how many wet diapers a day! thanks!
#11 of 15 Old 02-20-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
wow okay I'm not sure what to do--find another dr and go tell him and he will tell me to supplement with formula?

I have a problem--I think she DOES need more calories maybe--she REALLY want to eat however everything I've trialed thusfar is a FAIL---I tried avacados first and she got huge hives--bananas and green beans--now I am waiting for her cold and ear infections to pass before i trial something else- maybe it was the different scales---I should go back to WIC and weigh her on their scale (with out allergies it wasn't worth it anymore)

I was under the impression that BM was enough calories--is that sometimes not the case? what about if she's sleeping through the night? wouldn't she be up if she were so hungry? also she eats every 3 hours and doesn't want to nurse more often--

what would be an example of an underlining medical problem causing the weght loss??!!!

should I maybe trial coconut next so I can add some fat? (I was planning on doing coconut smoothies w/veggies/fruit like MUCH later like 15mo.

thanks for all your advice and help--let me know what you think.

p.s. currently my son and I are getting tested for celiac or gluten intolerance and I know that can cause absorption problems but that would only affect her if she were having gluten---am I correcT? (I'm not giving her grain until a year becuase of this possibility)--just a thought-

Well, I don't think a dr. would tell you a supplement with formula at 8 months. I think, they would probably focus more on getting her to eat solids.

If YOU are celiac than might be passing the gluten into the milk and she might be reacting to that. Although, I would *think* that she would have had issues earlier..but I don't really know??

There are all sorts of other medical issues that can cause weight loss, but most of the time it is nutritional..so I think most dr's really want to increase her nutrition and see if that helps before they do other tests.

Breastmik isn't enough if she isn't getting enough of it, yk. My dr. told me that sometimes older babies that are active and distractible don't nurse enough and may just be nursing enough to fill their bellies so they aren't hungry, but not necessarily enough for growth. Also, I think sometimes mom may have oversupply in the first couple of months, so a baby might do well on that, but as the oversupply evens out and milk production becomes completely dependent on supply and demand, if a baby isn't a totally effective nurser or draining the breast completely or really distractible and not nursing enough, they may not stimulate supply enough.

Also, not all babies wake up at night, even if they need more calories. If she is sleeping through the night, the first thing I would do is wake her up at night to nurse. I would also try offering more often than every 3 hours throughout the day....I would offer more frequently both day and night.

Does she nurse both sides or one each time?? If she has only been nursing one side, I would start offering both.

If she is wanting to eat solids...then I would start by trying to find something that she doesn't react to. I'm not a fan of rice cereal, but if she tolerates it, you can mix it with breastmilk or olive oil or coconut oil...all sorts of things to increase the nutritional/fat content of it. I would just make sure that the solids you give her are IN ADDITION to nursing and not REPLACING it.

As far as wet diapers go.....well I don't think that is an adequate measure of adequate caloric intake in an older baby since typically the diet isn't totally liquid at that point. It lets you know that she's not dehydrated (which is good). She should still be having 5-6 wet diapers a day...but I think "wet diaper" is a kinda subjective measure...I mean diapers vary a lot in the amount of "wet" they can be. Also, if you use cloth vs. disposibles that makes a difference...and how much the diaper can absorb.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#12 of 15 Old 02-20-2009, 04:11 PM

Since you can't find a record of the 18 lb weight, perhaps a prudent course of action would be to weigh her over this coming week and see if she is continuing to lose.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#13 of 15 Old 02-21-2009, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

thanks---lots of helpful stuff---what a good idea about weighing her!
#14 of 15 Old 02-21-2009, 04:58 PM

Did not read all the replies so this could be a repeat but scales can be very different sometimes a whole pound or more off even for babies. I would get her weight on a scale you can use on a regular basis and go from there. If she is healthy acting, pooping, and peeing I would not worry too much and just keep trying the solids. Good luck
#15 of 15 Old 02-21-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doula jbw View Post
Did not read all the replies so this could be a repeat but scales can be very different sometimes a whole pound or more off even for babies. I would get her weight on a scale you can use on a regular basis and go from there. If she is healthy acting, pooping, and peeing I would not worry too much and just keep trying the solids. Good luck
This was just what I was going to say. When my ds was about the same age he supposedly had a weight loss of close to a pound but it ended up being the scale. We used a different scale than previous times IN THE SAME OFFICE and it was off by that much.

That said, just stick with your mama instincts and do what you feel is right for your child.

Enjoying life with DH since 05/04 and our two boys Oliver 02/07 and Theodore 07/10 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page