BFing & litter box duty - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-21-2009, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A passing comment from my midwife has kept me out of litter box duty so far, but as Dh has been cleaning it since we were TTC he wants more evidence that toxoplasmosis is still an issue.

So, are you supposed to not clean the litter box while bfing as well as pregnant?

Or do I get to resume that lovely task?

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#2 of 12 Old 02-21-2009, 12:30 AM

The CDC recommend breastfeeding even if a mother got toxoplasmosis during pregnancy
http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/dis...oplasmosis.htm
so I think that means pooper scooping is OK...
#3 of 12 Old 02-21-2009, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure that it's safe to clean out the litter box while breastfeeding. At least, I haven't heard anything to the contrary.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#4 of 12 Old 02-21-2009, 01:14 PM

My recollection is that the risk of toxoplasmosis is to the placenta, so I think you can't get out of it with this reasoning.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#5 of 12 Old 02-21-2009, 01:18 PM

I bought a bag of cat litter yesterday and noticed that it said that pregnant and breastfeeding mothers should avoid changing the cat litter. But it didn't give any other info as to why not. Maybe toxoplasmosis can be passed on through breastmilk? I don't know, but I bet the answer will be on Kellymom
#6 of 12 Old 02-21-2009, 02:18 PM

if your cat is an inside cat, you should be fine!

but even if your cat is indoor/outdoor, as long as you don't let the feces sit in the box for more than 24 hours, and as long as you wash your hands and/or wear gloves, you should be fine!

To get toxo, first your cat needs to have it. Then it needs to sit in the feces outside of the cat for 24 hours, then you need to ingest it.

There is a greater chance of catching toxo from handling raw meat or digging in the earth than from your cat!
#7 of 12 Old 02-21-2009, 05:33 PM

Don't you already have enough to do? Let him keep scooping. It's good practice for when you're preg again. It's safe to scoop, but you never heard it from us.

Dawn - Mom to : Jack 11/04 and David 5/08
#8 of 12 Old 02-21-2009, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

birdie22! He just wants some help in that department instead of being the only one doing it.

Thanks for the replies! I'm thinking that I'll resume helping with it, but make sure I wash my hands real good afterward. My cat has epilepsy, so he sometimes goes outside under supervision, but he doesn't have free rein.

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#9 of 12 Old 02-21-2009, 06:40 PM

I'd go ahead, but I scooped preg. too.

If I wait for others, *ahem* DH, it would get nasty and the house would be a biohazard.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#10 of 12 Old 02-21-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie22 View Post
Don't you already have enough to do? Let him keep scooping. It's good practice for when you're preg again. It's safe to scoop, but you never heard it from us.

EXACTLY! Heck, when baby is older, starting solids and daddy has taken over some of the feedings, then maybe you can talk about the division of duty and resuming cat box patrol. But until then, keep scooping hubby!

CPST ***I can help keep your child safe in the car. Ask me a car seat question!***
#11 of 12 Old 02-21-2009, 07:47 PM

i'm just gonna let my hubby keep thinking it has to be his job

Amanda- mama to Lincoln 1/09 and expecting #2 10/11!
#12 of 12 Old 02-24-2009, 04:06 PM

My hubby and I had this conversation this morning sort of.... I made a comment about needing to change the litter before I left for work and he said "NO WAY- That's my job. I don't want you or the baby getting sick."

Hey I don't mind- seems fair as I take care of all that goes into the family- why shouldn't he oversee what comes out

hang.gif  WOHMama to dust.gifDD (July 2008) and coolshine.gif DS (May 2013); wife to DH sleepytime.gif.

Live your life, like your life depends on it. joy.gif         

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page