Lactational Amenorrhea - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-25-2009, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone tell me the biological or physiological cause of this? Is it a hormone, lack of a hormone, luck, or something else? After DS1 it took 18 months for AF to return, slightly less after DS2, but I know some women get it right away, or anywhere inbetween. I'm just curious to know and my googlel searches are getting me nowhere. TIA!

Jessie. Mama to bikenew.gif(7) : broc1.gif(4) and : toddler.gif22 mo 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2009, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nursing lowers your body's estrogen thus making it hard for many moms to ovulate. Estrogen is the dominant hormone in your body pre-ovulation, then when your body reaches it's peak amount of estrogen needed to release an egg it releases the egg and your estrogen drops way down and progesterone takes over. So it's my understanding that each woman has a different amount of estrogen needed to release an egg and also a different amount that nursing will suppress which accounts for why women are so different. I'm one of those oh-so-lucky women who nurse pretty much 24/7 and still get AF within about 8 weeks of giving birth. woo hoo.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!

User Tag List