Mothering Forum banner

Thumb-sucking = pacifier?

620 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Smirkin 
#1 ·
DD started sucking her thumb religiously -she loooooves her thumb.

Right about when she started sucking her thumb she started sleeping for very long stretches at night, 8-9 hours. She's 3 months old.

Is it possible that she's using her thumb to self-soothe when she's hungry at night?

I just learned more about LAM as bc (thanks mamas!) from a previous post, and on kellymom it says that the method works only is you are "breastfeeding on cue and not using pacifiers." I'm now wondering if her thumb is acting as a pacifier for her at night??

She's in a cradle in our room for most of the night, and I just started a thread in the family bed forum about whether I should bring her into bed full time - when she's in the cradle, I do hear her murmuring and sucking her thumb, and she of course doesn't do this as much when she's lying next to the boob in bed with me. now I'm putting two and two together here and wondering if this is a reason to cosleep full time.

??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.