Nursing at Church - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Where would you nurse during a church service?
in a "mother's room" 44 36.36%
in the pews 77 63.64%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-03-2009, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've used both but voted in the pews. I nursed dd there discreetly many a time with noone ever having a clue what I was doing. They just thought she was sleeping up against me lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2009, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Both, so I won't vote. If my babe is being loud or distractable we go to the mom's room, to nurse, rock to sleep, or play. If he was just laying quietly in my arms to nurse and go to sleep he'd be in the sling in the sanctuary.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:00 PM

The pews aren't actually very comfortable to nurse, I once watched a mom bend over her baby to nurse her. There is a rocking chair at the back of the sanctuary which is way better. My minister made it VERY clear that if I wanted to nurse in the sanctuary, that I should. There is a fellowship room which is used as the nursery for kids who want to go, the chairs are comfier still. So while I can nurse in the pews and might be inclined to do so during the sermon, I'd probably go off to the nursery purely for comfort.

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:54 PM

I wouldn't go to a church that made me feel uncomfortable nursing in the pew. It is so important for me for Christian women to breastfeed their children that I will always do it right there in the service. I did take dd to the nursery a couple of weeks ago b/c she wanted to get down and play, and I wasn't going to let her do that in the service. Someone even mentioned to me that they love hearing her chat during the service, so that made me feel great. (I've only been to this church a handful of times, and I think I'll keep going)
Old 03-04-2009, 04:03 PM

definatly the nursing room for me. I DO NOT feel comfortable nursing in the presence of men (aside from dh). I just don't. I've done it and I hate it. Although I don't attend church service I'd definatly head for the nursing room if I did. I also use a shield and ds spits up a lot so I have lots of gear when I BF (cloth diapers I use as spit up rags, a little tubberware cup for my shield, nursing cover, and usually a rolled up blanket or coat to help with positioning). I like room for all of my junk. I'd likely feel too cramped. Also, due to all the junk I have to organize ds gets fussy and sometimes cries between switching sides and that would be pretty disruptive in an otherwise quiet church.

I do go to a mom's bible study group once a week and always BF during our meet. I feel comfortable doing so there so long as I can stay concealed. I just move to the floor behind the couches out of the way but still part of the group (instead of the couch I share with someone else) so I can focus less on keeping all of my bitts covered. However, every now and then the pastor happens to be wandering and pops his head in the room... at which point I become uncomfortable. It's not him, it's simply that he is male.

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:42 PM

I've been a PK- preacher's kid all my life. This is an interesting thread.

I will nurse in the mother's room. Simply because it is soooo peaceful- there's a crib, bottled water, crackers for moms, a tv and sound system to watch the sermon- and when I'm done, I'll go back and play the piano. If she falls asleep, there's a crib in there, and I can leave her with the nursery worker next door.

With as rambunctious as I get playing the piano sometimes, I seriously doubt she'd be able to hold on while I nursed. not to mention that I have to sit on the stage- and there are cameras... So, although it might make the sermon DVD count go up, I seriously doubt anyone needs to see my boob.

HA HA HA HA HA

But, I'm a kind of modest person about NIP- I wouldn't look down on anyone who does- I just dont' need to have my breasts on the DVD. That's a *whole different kind of thing* and I think they tend to frown on that in church.

Now I hope you read that with the humor that it is intended to have.

Married to my best friend, expecting #1 6/09. Little angel came early- 4/10/09, 2lbs 5oz. Lilah Grace:
Old 03-04-2009, 04:44 PM

A teeny tiny can be nursed in the regular sanctuary part but a wiggly kicking toddler should go to the side room or a less distracting area.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanno View Post
A teeny tiny can be nursed in the regular sanctuary part but a wiggly kicking toddler should go to the side room or a less distracting area.
Should?

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanno View Post
Yeah. NO. As I said before, I picked my service because it is the more laid-back one that my church offers. This is the church I grew up in, but I would not hesitate to leave it if necessary to find one more welcoming to children/nurslings. I've chosen churches based on this issue in the past. I've found, generally speaking, that the Christians who are OK with small children are not the ones with sticks up their butts otherwise.

Quote:
For the Sunday morning service at our church no children under 8 are allowed in the main sanctuary.
Wait...Suffer the little children to come unto me? Didn't Jesus chide his disciples for that?

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

Old 03-05-2009, 11:32 AM

I am supposed to start attending a new assembly this Sunday. They are a HUGE congregation and they have nurseries seperated by ages. Parents CAN take kids into the service with them, but service is upwards of 2 hours and my toddler would be so bored. From what my neighbor downstairs tells me, they give you a pager that lights up and buzzes if your babe fusses. They will call you as much as you want them to. Now my toddler is not nursing, but I am pregnant and I am not sure how I will feel. If there is a secluded area to nurse in, I most likely would. DD was a tough nurser and I am modest about other men than DF seeing my breasts or even *thinking* they *might* see my breast. I'm sure no one really cares other than me, but I am anxious to see how it goes.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:42 AM

I nurse DD in the pews and DS has to wait until after church, but he's 2.5. Recently DH was between me nursing DD and another mom nursing her LO in the front pew. My mom (the pastor) commented later because she thought it was funny and he said "Yeah, I just concentrated on looking cool and keeping my eyes forward."
Old 03-05-2009, 12:09 PM

Usually I nurse in the pews. I usually wear something nursing-friendly for this purpose. If I'm wearing an awkward outfit, I'll leave and go somewhere with more privacy. We sit in a section with lots of kids and families. One woman even offered to get me a drink of water last week when she saw me nursing and commented on how big my baby's getting drinking mama's milk. I think the priest's wife has noticed me nursing too, because we've chatted after the service about her nursing her own babies in church many years ago.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

Old 03-05-2009, 11:54 PM

Jesus was breastfed.

I nursed my baby in the first row and had that running through my head the whole time...

Jeanna, proud mama to 3 sweet girls!
Old 03-06-2009, 01:07 AM

I always do what's easiest and most convenient. Our Sears had a great nursing room, and I used it all the time when we used to go to that mall. At church, it's easier to just stay where I am in the pews.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
Old 03-06-2009, 01:11 PM

I use both. Funny enough, the "crying room" is usually packed with bottle feeders and primary school kids and dads so it's not exactly bf-only. I didn't mind feeding my newborn in the pew most of the time, but if he's raising a fuss I don't want to draw attention.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:58 PM

I voted for in the "mother's room", though our church does not have one and won't make accommodations for one - we tried. And I don't believe anyone would be friendly about me nursing in the pews. It's not a baby friendly church. They love babies, but could care less about having a safe nursery or making it comfortable for moms. And our pastor's wife made a remark about how moms just nurse anywhere now and that was unbelieveable. I was pleasantly surprised when another dad in the church piped up and agreed with me when I mentioned that hungry babies need fed and deserve the same respect we do when we eat. His wife extended breastfed their children! I was so sad when they left the church.

User Tag List