"Emergency" formula? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 03-03-2009, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't even want the stuff near my house. Of course I was a little more stressed about it when my LO was not on solids...but since she is now, I figure we have enough time to find a human milk source in case of emergency.
#32 of 54 Old 03-03-2009, 03:59 PM

I did.. and then chucked it. I found it too tempting... my dd does not comfort nurse so for a while there I thought we were going to have some breastfeeding issues.. so I tried one bottle she hated it! Thank god.. i was so upset with myself that I chucked it that very day!

Mom to Ds1 (8 1/2) Ds2 (6) Dd (2 1/2)!!!!
#33 of 54 Old 03-03-2009, 04:12 PM

I have some free samples floating around here somewhere that I never threw out. but DH knows to come here and post on my FYT board if something ever happens to me. and not just for BM but for everything (he can get opinions on 'what do you think my wife would have done if __________ happened or came up or whatever")
#34 of 54 Old 03-03-2009, 04:15 PM

I have saved some samples that I signed up for and will ask that the samples be left in the bag at the hospital(they take them out if you are bfing). I hope to have some pumped and frozen, but since I am not due until April, I am unsure of whether that will actually happen or not. I will not use donor milk and even if I did none of my friends have small children so it is better for my peace of mind to have the formula there just in case.
#35 of 54 Old 03-03-2009, 04:17 PM

I did with my first four children - I don't know if it has anything to do with my breastfeeding failure or not (12 weeks was my longest) but it certainly made it easier to 'just give them a bottle instead' when there were problems.
With baby #5 (still breasting at almost 11 months!) I didn't have one in the house. We talked about it and there are 24 hour stores in town so it's not like the baby would starve if for whatever reason we needed emergency formula.
For me I can almost guarentee I would not still be breastfeeding if I had formula in the house because it's been such a hard time breastfeeding my baby.

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#36 of 54 Old 03-03-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJenese View Post
I have never bought formula or had any in the house. Though one time DH and I were talking and I told him if there was ever an emergency My best friend would nurse the baby.
this is true for us too. I'm not pumping or storing breastmilk either. I have a group of friends in my local natural parenting group who said they would nurse him if there was ever such emergency.
#37 of 54 Old 03-03-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
. And I know the temptation of having formula in the house when breastfeeding gets hard. It almost ruined my breastfeeding relationship with my firstborn.
This. I won't have any formula in the house when my DS is born in April. It did ruin BF my first son. .
#38 of 54 Old 03-03-2009, 08:07 PM

I kept some of the freebie formula in my diaper bag and it did get used with DS#1. He was an infant, MIL was watching him while I went to the dentist. She dropped the bag of breastmilk while attempting to slide it into the bottle, spilling it. She feed my hungry baby a bottle of formula instead. He nursed for many months afterwards, no problem.

I was less crunchy then than now. Now I don't think the formula companies should give away the free samples. But I also don't freak out about the notion that my baby had a bottle of formula rather than spend an hour yelling in hunger.

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#39 of 54 Old 03-03-2009, 08:13 PM

My daughter has weaned but I'm a working mama so I always had frozen milk. At my highest amout I had 250 oz. She could have gone quite a while without me. So no, we never had formula.
#40 of 54 Old 03-03-2009, 09:34 PM

I don't keep any here, but my 9 month old would require at minimum hypoallergenic formula (easily accessible) if not an elemental formula (not as easily accessible) due to his allergies. We recently went on vacation to Cuba to a resort that was well-removed from any towns. I talked with my DH about bringing some formula for an emergency since there would be no way to get what DS needed if anything happened to me. We didn't end up bringing any, but that was a risk that we took, I suppose. So, I guess that's another scenario to consider - what if something happens when you're traveling?

Lisa treehugger.gif married to DH bikenew.gifsince Aug 07 & mom to DS1 blahblah.gif  born May 08 and DS2 babyboy.gif born Nov 10 homebirth.jpg
#41 of 54 Old 03-03-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD's Momma View Post
I have a can of baby only organic formula in the pantry for an emergency - I don't have to be run over for it to be used We haven't had to use it so far and hopefully won't have to but it keeps mine and Dh stress down about it being there and if LO needs it and I am not around or won't be for awhile then it's there for use. But LO is eating solids now, so we can generally hold him off with a solid snack until I get back.
Same here. Eleven months on it's still unopened, but it's nice to know it's there if need be. But I also don't share the opinion of some people on here that formula is the devil...not the optimum baby food by a long shot, but OK if used occasionally.

Mama to my monkey since March 2008, wife to my husband since February 2004. After three early losses, we were successful with IVF!  joy.gif
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***heartbeat.gif  

#42 of 54 Old 03-03-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post
If we did have an emergency, baby wouldn't be dumb enough to drink it.
What does that mean?

Mama to my monkey since March 2008, wife to my husband since February 2004. After three early losses, we were successful with IVF!  joy.gif
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***heartbeat.gif  

#43 of 54 Old 03-03-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post
baby wouldn't be dumb enough to drink it

I have a can of organic. Also have the freezer stash of EBM... Just makes me feel better to have it. It doesn't tempt me. Kind of forget it's there really.
#44 of 54 Old 03-03-2009, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mamas, let's keep in mind that formula bashing is neither in the spirit of Mothering nor in line with the User Agreement:
Quote:
MDC serves an online community of parents, families, and parent, child and family advocates considering, learning, practicing, and advocating attachment parenting and natural family living. Our discussions concern the real world of mothering and are first and foremost, for support, information, and community. Mothering invites you to read and participate in the discussions. In doing so we ask that you agree to respect and uphold the integrity of this community. Through your direct or indirect participation here you agree to make a personal effort to maintain a comfortable and respectful atmosphere for our guests and members.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#45 of 54 Old 03-03-2009, 10:05 PM

no. i have frozen bm.
#46 of 54 Old 03-03-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _betsy_ View Post
There are 24 hour stores if there's truly an emergency. And in the case that you're taken to a hospital, if you're alive and able you can likely pump there. And there's generally a nursery there if baby is hungry and DH needs emergency formula.

I figure it's readily available for what I consider the wrong reasons, why I would assume it wouldn't be there when a legitimate need arises?
yeah to all this.

unless you live like 50 miles from the nearest store of any kind and only have one car, then i really don't see a point to stock up on formula. i thought about what you're saying back when DD was a baby, but we live 2 blocks from the nearest store that sells formula

or i suppose in an emergency, that would be

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#47 of 54 Old 03-04-2009, 04:45 AM

I had about six cans of saamples that I got while I was pregnant for the first few months. But he never had any formula, i don't think he would drink it at this point (7 months). He barely will take breast milk out of a cup and refuses to drink it out of a bottle. I liked having them there just in case I was away and he needed something. Although. in total I think I have only left him alone for maybe 14 hours without me.

I gave my cans to my cousing who is going back to work after 4-8 weeks pp and doesn't plan to bf too long. I figure that she will get some use out of them. If we have another baby I don't think I will keep them simply because now I believe I can bf and I doubt they would get used.
#48 of 54 Old 03-04-2009, 08:41 AM

No, we don't keep any "emergency" formula, at least partly because it would probably get used in a non-emergency. We live within 5 blocks of two stores that sell formula (one of them 24hr) if a true emergency were to come up. However, I doubt it would be as easy as DP giving baby a bottle while she waited for the ambulance to arrive for me or something, since DD has refused the bottle since she was 5 months old and has never had formula. There would be an adjustment period, for sure.

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#49 of 54 Old 03-04-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzylou View Post
I received a few samples when I was pregnant and I just stuck them in the closet. I've never used them and barring disaster, I never will. I do have several days worth of frozen breastmilk in case of emergency.
I got a few samples too mailed to me before DS was born, my brother, SIL and my sat down and ate the powder it was just in some small tiny bag things. We use to eat our baby sister powder formula at home.

Other than that, no I never bought any can of formula. I tried to pump and have a small stash just in case. I know it can be tired, especially remembering to change them when they get to old. If I am out of service for so long that there is no way to breastfeed and no one to offer BM, then I will tell DH to just buy those at the Whole Food Stores or get the most natural/organic ones.
#50 of 54 Old 03-04-2009, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Do you have a can/packet of formula in your home just in case you, the breastfeeding mother, are in some horrible accident and either die or are in surgery/recovery for hours?
No, and I never have had it. If something horrible happened to me, dh could call one of my friends who is lactating and leave the baby with her while he's with me in the hospital. He could ask my friends to pump. Or he could go to the store and buy formula, but I hope he wouldn't have to.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#51 of 54 Old 03-04-2009, 02:11 PM

NO. If I was that concerned about an emergency, I would pump and freeze some milk, but if I did die in my sleep, I imagine my partner would have to call a friend or family member for help in any case and they could pick up some formula at a 24 hour store.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#52 of 54 Old 03-06-2009, 12:11 AM

I have some Similac they sent me in the mail (who knows why) and I haven't bothered throwing it away. It's stashed up high in a cabinet. I suppose I have kept it there for the sort of scenario you described. Keeping it there is a passive act - they sent it, so I figured I might as well keep it in case of emergency.

I don't think I'd have gone out and bought formula for this purpose, but perhaps I SHOULD do the research into what I'd really want to have in case of emergency, buy that and toss the Similac (assuming this is not what I'd want - I know nothing about formula brands at this point, but I suppose I might prefer something organic).
#53 of 54 Old 03-06-2009, 12:21 AM

I had breastmilk stored in the freezer at almost all times when nursing my children. No need for formula. Even if I died, DH would have been fine for a few days (sometimes a few weeks).
#54 of 54 Old 03-06-2009, 12:25 AM

I had "emergency formula" in the house when our oldest was very young. It was actually a massive collection of sample cans I'd collected while pregnant. As soon as I had a freezer stash of breast milk I got rid of it though.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page