"Emergency" formula? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 54 Old 03-02-2009, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you have a can/packet of formula in your home just in case you, the breastfeeding mother, are in some horrible accident and either die or are in surgery/recovery for hours?

I know that sounds morbid but I'm sure the last thing my husband would want to have to deal with in that situation is going out to buy some (our baby is seven months). But when I brought it up with him he dismissed the idea.

I'm not usually one for the "imagination of disaster" (no stockpiling in our house), but I was curious if maybe other parents do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 54 Old 03-02-2009, 07:13 PM

There are 24 hour stores if there's truly an emergency. And in the case that you're taken to a hospital, if you're alive and able you can likely pump there. And there's generally a nursery there if baby is hungry and DH needs emergency formula.

I figure it's readily available for what I consider the wrong reasons, why I would assume it wouldn't be there when a legitimate need arises?
#3 of 54 Old 03-02-2009, 07:24 PM

I have never bought formula or had any in the house. Though one time DH and I were talking and I told him if there was ever an emergency My best friend would nurse the baby.

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
#4 of 54 Old 03-02-2009, 07:41 PM

I have a can of baby only organic formula in the pantry for an emergency - I don't have to be run over for it to be used We haven't had to use it so far and hopefully won't have to but it keeps mine and Dh stress down about it being there and if LO needs it and I am not around or won't be for awhile then it's there for use. But LO is eating solids now, so we can generally hold him off with a solid snack until I get back.

SAHMhomeschool.gif: to LCjog.gif (6-08) GJsuperhero.gif (3-06) KDREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif (3-04) and a new little on one the way1sttri.gif: and :megan, henrie, and apple and wife to BD for 12years now!!
#5 of 54 Old 03-02-2009, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Once, when we were making the obligatory milk-and-bread run right before a "blizzard" I asked DH if we should buy some emergency formula just in case. He was all "Just in case what, your breasts freeze off?" If there was ever a true emergency, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to grab some at the drug store. And I know the temptation of having formula in the house when breastfeeding gets hard. It almost ruined my breastfeeding relationship with my firstborn.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#6 of 54 Old 03-02-2009, 07:47 PM

no.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#7 of 54 Old 03-02-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Once, when we were making the obligatory milk-and-bread run right before a "blizzard" I asked DH if we should buy some emergency formula just in case. He was all "Just in case what, your breasts freeze off?"
What an awesome guy!
#8 of 54 Old 03-02-2009, 07:49 PM

I received a few samples when I was pregnant and I just stuck them in the closet. I've never used them and barring disaster, I never will. I do have several days worth of frozen breastmilk in case of emergency.

Baby Boy 9/08 & Baby Girl 3/11

#9 of 54 Old 03-02-2009, 08:09 PM
luv

Nope.
#10 of 54 Old 03-02-2009, 08:25 PM

No emergency formula here. When DD was born I didn't want any formula in the house because I didn't want that temptation. Even more than that I wanted to be able to tell unhelpful people (like MIL) nope sorry you can't feed the baby a bottle we don't have any formula. That said, I WOH so I have a good sized freezer stash. If something terrible were to happen DH could use that until he/we figured out what to do.
#11 of 54 Old 03-02-2009, 08:31 PM

I do, and I have had one for each baby that I have had, up through age two. We have never used them. I just get a little paranoid about things like that. I want to make sure all of my baby's needs are met.
#12 of 54 Old 03-02-2009, 08:32 PM

No we don't have any in the house but I do have a post-it note on the fridge with the name of the brand I would recommend DH run out a buy if I were to be unavailable for some reason.

Thirteen months in and he hasn't had any reason to run out and buy it.

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
#13 of 54 Old 03-02-2009, 08:35 PM

The only reason I would reccomend this is if you know baby would need special formula that might not be readily available. My kids have to use rx formula and it has to be gotten from the pharmacy and most will have to order it and it'll take 2 days etc. We bought a can before Ilana was born so we had it just in case. We have had to use it, but w/ my hx of low supply I'm not shocked. If you think baby would do fine on normal formula, like everyone else said, there's enough 24 hr stores and the hospital if you're there that have formula.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#14 of 54 Old 03-02-2009, 08:36 PM

No. the store is a 10 minute drive from my house.
#15 of 54 Old 03-02-2009, 08:36 PM

With my first dd I kept the samples they give you at the hospital in the closet. Never used it. To be perfectly honest I think I forgot about it. With my ds I didn't have any in the house until about a month ago. They sent me some goofy sample pack. I know I will never use it but I have issues about throwing things away.

I'll admit to having that disaster mentality in the back of my mind, but not for ds and breastfeeding. I always think, "in an emergency I could drink this stuff myself". :

*formerly apecaut*, Mom to A, Calliope (stillborn 40 weeks 6/22/07), A and O
#16 of 54 Old 03-02-2009, 08:40 PM

Nope - I figure in a true emergency DH (or someone) could run to a store and buy some. Maybe if we lived in a really isolated area with no 24 hour stores.
#17 of 54 Old 03-02-2009, 09:06 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Once, when we were making the obligatory milk-and-bread run right before a "blizzard" I asked DH if we should buy some emergency formula just in case. He was all "Just in case what, your breasts freeze off?" If there was ever a true emergency, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to grab some at the drug store. And I know the temptation of having formula in the house when breastfeeding gets hard. It almost ruined my breastfeeding relationship with my firstborn.

ha ha ha. Your DH sounds funny.

No. I don't have it in the house and I wouldn't buy in advance. Everything I've read suggests that undermines the breastfeeding relationship.

Odds are, we aren't going to have an emergency. If we did have an emergency, baby wouldn't be dumb enough to drink it. If something awful happened, like my death, I imagine there would be plenty of time to buy it or source bm from someone else.

I have to admit that morbidly, I've had dreams about something terrible happening and I always liked having a big freezer stash because of it.
#18 of 54 Old 03-02-2009, 10:01 PM

I got really sick last year, like horribly sick and attempted to nurse both my LO's on and off between throwing up and trying not to pass out. I never even made it downstairs, but they'd come up and climb into bed next to me and nurse for a while, and then go play. When my DH got home and we finally decided to go to the hospital it was around 7 pm. I then spent 8 hrs in the ER, going thru the most painful, scary experience in my life. There was zero chance of being able to pump (even though I was alive, yes) during this time for my nurslings. I didn't see my kids or my DH until the next day when I was transferred to a bigger hospital. They were allowed to come give me a kiss as I was wheeled off for surgery. I spent 3 weeks drugged up in the hospital and attempted to pump several times days later when I was not so out of it (to maintain my supply, not for my LO's to drink). My milk was gone, I was on so much morphine and had a traumatic experience, plus was painfully recovering from surgery and trying to fight a blood infection (sepsis) with a ton of IV antibiotics.

I was completely, unexpectedly unable to breasfeed, and had to suddenly wean both. My youngest was 13 months at the time and my older nursling 3, so they both were able to drink cow's milk while we were separated. Had it been a few months earlier, my baby would have needed formula.

But even so, I don't think it's necessary to have an emergency formula on hand, just in case something happens. My DH would have been capable of taking four small children, even in the middle of the night, to the grocery store to pick up a can of baby milk.

Having expressed milk on hand would have been super ideal, but at the time I had no reason to save any breastmilk.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#19 of 54 Old 03-02-2009, 10:40 PM

I'm slowly working on freezing some breastmilk for this purpose. DH knows if anything were to happen to me I'd want him to seek out a donor. This has made me think I should tell him about Milkshare, though, just-in-case.
#20 of 54 Old 03-02-2009, 10:46 PM

I didn't have emergency formula on hand for either of my kids. BUT, I did have surgery on very short notice when my son was a month old. It so happened that I'd been pumping to relieve engorgement (and freezing it) so I had about a day's worth of EBM on hand, and that was very helpful at that time. It's not a bad idea to pump and freeze if you can. Truth is, an exclusively breastfed baby will probably not take very happily to formula anyway, and in fact, a baby over a month or two old that's never had a bottle will probably be hard to persuade to take one. My own DD, who actually was in fulltime daycare from about 10 weeks to 16 weeks, now acts at 7 months like a bottle is deathly poison : . So anyway I don't think there's much point having emergency formula on hand. Freeze some pumped breastmilk if you're able and try to coach your DH on how he might cup-feed, I'm thinking. A bottle of formula wouldn't necessarily be much help in an emergency situation.
#21 of 54 Old 03-02-2009, 11:35 PM

No and I got a pump to pump some just in case, and my husband is well informed about donor milk-so I know he'd look there first.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#22 of 54 Old 03-02-2009, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
I got really sick last year, like horribly sick and attempted to nurse both my LO's on and off between throwing up and trying not to pass out. I never even made it downstairs, but they'd come up and climb into bed next to me and nurse for a while, and then go play. When my DH got home and we finally decided to go to the hospital it was around 7 pm. I then spent 8 hrs in the ER, going thru the most painful, scary experience in my life. There was zero chance of being able to pump (even though I was alive, yes) during this time for my nurslings. I didn't see my kids or my DH until the next day when I was transferred to a bigger hospital. They were allowed to come give me a kiss as I was wheeled off for surgery. I spent 3 weeks drugged up in the hospital and attempted to pump several times days later when I was not so out of it (to maintain my supply, not for my LO's to drink). My milk was gone, I was on so much morphine and had a traumatic experience, plus was painfully recovering from surgery and trying to fight a blood infection (sepsis) with a ton of IV antibiotics.

I was completely, unexpectedly unable to breasfeed, and had to suddenly wean both. My youngest was 13 months at the time and my older nursling 3, so they both were able to drink cow's milk while we were separated. Had it been a few months earlier, my baby would have needed formula.

But even so, I don't think it's necessary to have an emergency formula on hand, just in case something happens. My DH would have been capable of taking four small children, even in the middle of the night, to the grocery store to pick up a can of baby milk.

Having expressed milk on hand would have been super ideal, but at the time I had no reason to save any breastmilk.
Oh, that's terrible! What a trauma for the whole family! I'm sorry you went through that.

The scenario that got me thinking was this: I somehow die in my sleep. The baby wakes around, say 3.30 am, hungry. That's when DH discovers I've died. He's in shock, baby is screaming with hunger. He calls 911 and while waiting for the ambulance is able to get a bottle of formula for the baby.

Thankfully, DS2 is now taking a bottle while I work part-time. I don't know if he'd take formula though, but I do know that DS1 hated my thawed breastmilk and would really only drink what I pumped for him in the morning. (A lipase problem, maybe?)

Anyway, the chance of all that happening is so tiny it's probably not worth bothering with getting some formula!
#23 of 54 Old 03-03-2009, 12:37 AM

I don't have any formula in my house. I even threw out the samples that came in the mail. I have some milk in the freezer that would make a few bottles. If absolutely necessary it would not be hard to get to a store. There is a grocery 10 minutes walking distance from my house.

''''

#24 of 54 Old 03-03-2009, 12:46 AM

No. Dh does know how to get a hold of my mom-friends though who would be happy to nurse or pump for my baby.

-Angela
#25 of 54 Old 03-03-2009, 01:34 PM

I definitely DON'T have formula. I would have used it on the days when I was just tired of being someone's sole sustenance.

I am friends with women that would bring over donor milk if something happened to me. I have friends DH would call if something happened to me who could come bf DS and then organize getting milk.

Mama to Nov '08 and June '10
#26 of 54 Old 03-03-2009, 01:41 PM

No, I do not.
#27 of 54 Old 03-03-2009, 02:05 PM

I had a bunch of "free samples" in the pantry when Sebastian was a baby, but we never used them, and I donated them when he was a couple months old. This time, I won't even keep them in the house, when the samples start arriving.

ETA: If something happened to me, I have a large group of LLL mamas who would likely donate some milk if we truly needed some.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#28 of 54 Old 03-03-2009, 02:06 PM

I have PCOS and thus a low supply - we have to use formula (when I am out of donations from Milk Share...which I am at the moment ). But if I were to have a full supply, I would not have formula around for "emergencies". In a true emergency I figure Dh could give her a bottle of the raw milk we drink. One bottle of regular milk isn't going to kill her and chances are that he would be able to go to a store and buy formula if needed.

Mama to:Ben (12), Natalie (9), Zoe (5)

#29 of 54 Old 03-03-2009, 03:20 PM

When I worked I kept a can in the pantry in case I missed a pumping session (meeting ran long or had to meet with a client) or the kids couldn't wait for the milk to defrost.

I also used it for baby cereal.

But I definitely don't have enough on hand to replace me.

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
#30 of 54 Old 03-03-2009, 04:11 PM

No, although I did buy some when DS was having weight issues when I went back to work PT.

If I died in the middle of the night, I would expect DH to call both my parents and my bff. She's nursing her DS and could wet nurse mine, or else someone could go for formula.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page