starting solids... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 03-06-2009, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So at first I was all for NOT starting solids until late...well my friend did that and now her 11 month old will not eat solids! I want to get my LO used to eating with a spoon, but I don't want to push everything on her all at once. I want to wait until 6 months at least...but even then what should I give her? I don't like rice cereal since it has 0 nutritional value. I want something that she will enjoy that is also healthy for her. Maybe some type of oatmeal? I don't know. She will be 5 months in a few weeks so I guess now is the time I need to figure out what we are going to do and start doing my research! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 03-06-2009, 02:33 PM

First- it's normal for some 11mo olds to not want solids. There is nothing wrong with that.

When your baby is ready, offer soft chunks of fruits and veggies. Baby will feed themselves when ready.

-Angela
#3 of 20 Old 03-06-2009, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

how do you tell if your baby is ready though?
#4 of 20 Old 03-06-2009, 04:18 PM

kellymom.com offers this advice:
Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:
* Baby can sit up well without support.
* Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
* Baby is ready and willing to chew.
* Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
* Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.

You will know when your baby is ready, it is fairly obvious, trust your instincts mama

only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly -- rfk
#5 of 20 Old 03-08-2009, 05:55 AM

Bananas are a good first solid. You can just cut it in baby size pieces and let the baby self feed small amounts.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

#6 of 20 Old 03-08-2009, 12:00 PM

I started mine on solids when he could pick food up with his fingers. He wasn't too thrilled with purees so I waited. He was probably 8 months or so when he started feeding himself. Now he eats whatever we do.

You'll know when he's ready.
#7 of 20 Old 04-02-2009, 05:55 AM

I think that letting him self feed from the start is a great idea, but I'm afraid of choking. Bananas are nice and squishy, so are avocados, but what else? I really want to start DS on something. It's so sad to see him watch us eat!

FTR: DS is 6 months and very interested in eating. I gave him some rice cereal today and thought, "well, this is silly. It probably doesn't taste very good and there's nothing in it!" I'm glad I stumbled across this forum today. :
#8 of 20 Old 04-02-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anissina View Post
I think that letting him self feed from the start is a great idea, but I'm afraid of choking. Bananas are nice and squishy, so are avocados, but what else? I really want to start DS on something. It's so sad to see him watch us eat!

FTR: DS is 6 months and very interested in eating. I gave him some rice cereal today and thought, "well, this is silly. It probably doesn't taste very good and there's nothing in it!" I'm glad I stumbled across this forum today. :
Is he sitting unassisted and putting things in his mouth?

Other good early foods include- sweet potato and ripe pear

-Angela
#9 of 20 Old 04-02-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Is he sitting unassisted and putting things in his mouth?

Other good early foods include- sweet potato and ripe pear

-Angela
He's putting things in his mouth and he does sit, but he needs just a little bit of support. I'm a first time mom, can you tell?
#10 of 20 Old 04-02-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
He's putting things in his mouth and he does sit, but he needs just a little bit of support. I'm a first time mom, can you tell?
Wait until he's stable sitting unassisted

-Angela
#11 of 20 Old 04-02-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Wait until he's stable sitting unassisted

-Angela
Thanks!
#12 of 20 Old 04-03-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I think that letting him self feed from the start is a great idea, but I'm afraid of choking. Bananas are nice and squishy, so are avocados, but what else?
A mom at my daycare just suggested par-boiling carrots & sweet potatoes so they were that same squisy texture. I thought that was a great idea! Thus far, I've made purees for DS. He LOOOOOOVES them - to the point where I'm crazy paranoid about making sure he doesn't eat TOO much. (He'll SCREAM for more until he ends up eating what has to be more than the size of his stomach!)

BTW, rice doesn't have zero nutritional value. Get brown instead of white. Just grind it in the blender for a good 2 minutes. No need to buy special "baby" cereal (although I believe baby cereal is iron-fortified, but the cereal shouldn't be a major source of calories anyway- baby's still getting vast majority of nutrition from BM.) I bought the book "Super Baby Food" for tons of great tips.
#13 of 20 Old 04-03-2009, 03:30 PM

Something to keep in mind: Baby doesn't actually need solid food until say 9-10 months old. Baby gets all the nutrition needed from bm. However, rice cereal is a good start food because it is easiest on baby's stomach, rice produces no gas when digested. It is the only carb food that doesn't produce gas. Also, rice is good for getting baby's stomach used to digesting things other than bm.
#14 of 20 Old 04-03-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn's Mama View Post
Something to keep in mind: Baby doesn't actually need solid food until say 9-10 months old. Baby gets all the nutrition needed from bm. However, rice cereal is a good start food because it is easiest on baby's stomach, rice produces no gas when digested. It is the only carb food that doesn't produce gas. Also, rice is good for getting baby's stomach used to digesting things other than bm.
Rice cereal is NOT a good starter food.

Much better to let them self feed fruits and veggies.

-Angela
#15 of 20 Old 04-04-2009, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Rice cereal is NOT a good starter food.

Much better to let them self feed fruits and veggies.

-Angela
Why is it not a good starter food.

By the way your response was rude. Just stating that 'rice is not a good starter food' without backing up your response makes you sound like you think you are the only person in the world that knows anything about the subject. So if you think you know so much then prove it.
#16 of 20 Old 04-04-2009, 02:42 AM

Busy with sleepy or needy kids when posting

do a search here. There is lots of good info.

1. rice is constipating
2. there is info showing that grains are not good first foods- some say they should wait quite a bit longer
3. not sure where the idea comes from that the stomach needs to "get used to digesting food other than bm"- that's a new one to me...

-Angela
#17 of 20 Old 04-04-2009, 02:47 AM

Rice cereal was designed as a first food when "first foods" were introduced to very YOUNG infants (2+ weeks) who were primarily formula fed. The rice cereal was cheap to produce and was fairly similar to formula in that it was bland. While mass produced rice cereal may look like it has vitamins & minerals it is hard to tell how bioavailable they are.

Bfed babies, meanwhile, are used to a greater variety of tastes and have the natural human sweet tooth. To me, it makes sense to introduce children to a variety of tastes and textures. Bananas, avacados, small pieces of other fruits and veggies (steamed) are all great.

My kids were 9ish months when they got their first tooth. They each had 4 teeth at a year. If anything, it seems easier for kids with *no* teeth to chew things--- those gums are HARD.

I would avoid anything too acidic (tomatoes, citrus) until later, nothing highly allergenic (berries...) or the big "no nos" (nuts, honey) but, IMO, one big advantage of waiting until a child is really ready to eat is that you don't have to be so careful. If you introduce foods at 5 months you really need to be careful about waiting for days in between each new introduction, making sure it is only one food, etc... if you're talking about a 9, 10, 11 month old, though, you can generally just give them "real" food, spices and all--- just very small amounts.

If baby is really interested in eating, but you feel it is still too early, try something else. We always held our kids at the table, so by 4-5 months they were really interested. But given a spoon an empty cup they were pretty satisfied. Babies are very social creatures!

#18 of 20 Old 04-04-2009, 09:40 AM

You can steam or boil virtually anything so your options are limitless. If you feel she is ready, just sit her at the table when you are eating and place a few pieces of food in front of her. She will work out how to grab the food and bring it to her mouth in no time and it will keep her entertained while she develops both her motor skills and taste buds.

If you are after nutrional value, our favourites are steamed/boiled:
-zucchini sticks
-potatoes cut in wedges
-pumpkin cut in wedges
-carrots sticks cooked until quite soft
-broccoli florets (l believe some parents chose to wait until later)
-apple/pear wedges

And no reason why these can't be offered in the morning. There are also some great baby porridge and organic baby cereals out there. Just be sure to read the ingredients.

If you are very worried about your LO taking big chunks and choking, babies do have a great coughing reflex but do always be aware and watch closely. Not sure what they are called but you can buy these little net thingies where you put the food in, close it and baby sucks/chews the food from the net. Great for softer fruit like bananas, peaches, apricots, etc.
#19 of 20 Old 04-04-2009, 11:02 AM

My biggest concern with rice cereal was the fact that it was so overly processed and full of a bunch of artificial stuff (iron, for example). I never did it, but a friend used to blend up her own cooked rice for her dd..sometimes she'd blend it with water, other times with stock...We didn't go the pureed route at all, and instead offered ds bananas, avocados, cooked veggies, etc first like PP's have mentioned.

Momma to two boys...: Nolan ('05) and
Dylan ('08) and expecting a July 2010!!
#20 of 20 Old 04-04-2009, 02:17 PM

The digestive juice for most carbohydrates doesn't appear until near the end of the first year. http://www.naturalchild.com/guest/george_wootan.html I believe this is a large part of why grains, including rice, should be a later food.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page