ending the breastfeeding relationship - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 53 Old 03-11-2009, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the other day in a thread i was reading, someone had written that they would soon be done with breastmilk and put a 'yay!' after that. I started to write a post back, but then realized that may be mean or wrong, so i am starting a new thread. To me, losing my milk and no longer nursing a child is akin to having the last child, menopause, ending my usefulness as a woman, etc. though i know there is more to being a woman... I will just be so sad to end my breasts usefullness. does anyone know if you can lactate after menopause? i always hoped i could nurse my dgc whenever they come. the post i was referring to was from someone that had been pumping exclusively i think. she and her child had never had a breastfeeding relationship. this surely has to be why the person was happy it would be over soon. i mean, when you look at that infant nursing and hear them smacking and swallowing while their little hands are cupping your breast or twiddling or exploring... i mean, it is the best feeling in the world to me. and i will not end it before i have to when the child begins to end it... somewhere around age 5 i am hoping this time, i had to end it with dd1 when she was only 3.5 becasue she went out of town to visit her dying grandfather for 10 days. and i had lost weight down to 98 lbs and was having severe adrenal issues. remarkably she never had a problem. i encouraged her to resume when she returned and let her try every time she wanted to since, but she never nursed again like before, just a quick sip a few times. I just feel sad for the women that are missing this and i wish they could all have the positive, life- affirming, relaxing, beautiful relationship that i have had with my dc. I feel sorry for them to be so brainwashed by our male dominated society that is driven by profits into believing that they are not enough or do not have enough or cannot change to be enough....my first glimpse of this was after hurricane fran, when there was no power and all normalcy was shot, take away all the stuff and what you have left is what is real. there is only you, your body, and your children. the toys and baby gear are not real... think like a caveperson to take us to the next level I say....

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
#2 of 53 Old 03-11-2009, 08:02 AM

For me, it had been a huge mix of emotions. I was sad to stop this wonderful part of our relationship, and I certainly missed the snuggles and ease of nursing, but there was a good bit of yea as well. My DS was never a peaceful nurser, at almost 2 there was a lot of kicking and flailing along with it that was downright painful (we never managed to work through that or change it, despite being able to change just about every other behavior issue/challenge). Also, I have no sex drive at all while nursing, actually I have a negative drive and can't stand to be touched. This makes getting pregnant again just a wee bit of a challenge, not to mention the relationship stress.

Some ups, some downs.
#3 of 53 Old 03-11-2009, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchChild View Post
For me, it had been a huge mix of emotions. I was sad to stop this wonderful part of our relationship, and I certainly missed the snuggles and ease of nursing, but there was a good bit of yea as well. My DS was never a peaceful nurser, at almost 2 there was a lot of kicking and flailing along with it that was downright painful (we never managed to work through that or change it, despite being able to change just about every other behavior issue/challenge). Also, I have no sex drive at all while nursing, actually I have a negative drive and can't stand to be touched. This makes getting pregnant again just a wee bit of a challenge, not to mention the relationship stress.

Some ups, some downs.
I am not sure what would have caused the kicking and flailing, unless it was to get you r breasts to let down... as for the negative sex drive, it is by design of nature that you not get pregnant again until your dc is past the toddler years. the feeling 'touched out' is related to that as well, to not let you get pregnant. also, we are breaking a cycle. i feel touched out too sometimes and it is because of the way we were raised. just as someone that has lived in a cycle of abuse has to consciously decide to break the cycle, we have to break the cycle of abandoning our children and giving them substitutes for mom. because we were not touched as children, not extended breastfed, no cosleeping, no baby wearing and in some cases parents that thought the baby should be held as little as possible, so this leads to touch and sensory issues as adults. We are breaking the cycle and it is hard, but it will be easier for our AP children and theirs, and theirs.....

i also want to give you kudos for making it to 2 with a flailing, hurting toddler. that must have been very hard.

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
#4 of 53 Old 03-11-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karika View Post
I just feel sad for the women that are missing this and i wish they could all have the positive, life- affirming, relaxing, beautiful relationship that i have had with my dc. I feel sorry for them to be so brainwashed by our male dominated society that is driven by profits into believing that they are not enough or do not have enough or cannot change to be enough....

Are you saying you feel sad for women who are "so brainwashed" that they are looking forward to weaning?

If so, I take a bit of offense to that. I don't intend to wean DS any time soon, but I do look forward to it somewhat. I'll outline why. You will note that none of my reasons are related to "our male dominated society" of that I feel I'm "not enough."
  • I want AF back because I want my libido back
  • I want AF back because I want to have another baby
  • I'm looking forward to no longer having to wear pads in my bras (they're a hassle & I don't like how they look.)
  • I'm looking forward to having smaller breasts again (I teach aerobics & want my A-cups back. And no, I don't teach aerobics because I'm brainwashed into thinking I must be skinny! I love it & exercise is extremely beneficial for one's health.)
  • I WOH and don't want to have to worry about pumping at the office (a big hassle)
  • My breasts still are a little tender & sensitive sometimes, so it will be nice to not have to deal with that either.

ETA - thought of a few others:
I'd like to sleep 7-8 hours in a row without my breasts waking me up!
I'd like to sleep naked again without worrying about leaking in my bed (I hate wearing anything to bed.)
#5 of 53 Old 03-11-2009, 02:49 PM

I nursed my DS for a little over 3.5 years and I was happy when he was finished nursing. Luckily for me, he weaned himself gradually and I don't even remember the last time he nursed. It just all happened so naturally. It was wonderful. I love that he is growing and that we had that wonderful closeness for so long. We are still close and I don't feel in any way that my usefulness as a woman is over. I only plan to have one child, so I don't plan to nurse again. I had a wonderful time while it lasted, now I'm on to other things! I would hope that you won't spend so much of your energy pining away for the nursing days that you forget to enjoy the stages your children are in as they grow.

As for nursing your grandchildren someday, I'm pretty sure that isn't possible (at least not without taking drugs). Women make milk for their own babies, not their grandbabies. I'm a huge supporter of BF, but I would have been appalled if my mom had wanted to BF my child. That closeness was for me and MY baby!
#6 of 53 Old 03-11-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post

Are you saying you feel sad for women who are "so brainwashed" that they are looking forward to weaning?

If so, I take a bit of offense to that. I don't intend to wean DS any time soon, but I do look forward to it somewhat. I'll outline why. You will note that none of my reasons are related to "our male dominated society" of that I feel I'm "not enough."
  • I'm looking forward to no longer having to wear pads in my bras (they're a hassle & I don't like how they look.)
  • I'm looking forward to having smaller breasts again (I teach aerobics & want my A-cups back. And no, I don't teach aerobics because I'm brainwashed into thinking I must be skinny! I love it & exercise is extremely beneficial for one's health.)
  • I WOH and don't want to have to worry about pumping at the office (a big hassle)
  • My breasts still are a little tender & sensitive sometimes, so it will be nice to not have to deal with that either.

I'd like to sleep naked again without worrying about leaking in my bed (I hate wearing anything to bed.)
everything on your list can be accomplished while still nursing though. you don't have to wean to have any of them happen.
#7 of 53 Old 03-11-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:

Just wanted to say it is possible to nurse and not have any of these issues (sorry that they're bothering you):

AF--yes
libido--yes
fertility--yes
haven't worn pads in almost 2 years
small breasts that don't feel like they're full--yes
pumping at the office--pumped till DS2 was 16 mo, but no more
tender breasts--nope
breasts don't bother me unless I go 20+ hours
haven't leaked in ages (never had much of a let down)

I do sympathize with what the OP is feeling. Nursing has always been a part of my relationship with DS2, and I think there will be some sense of sadness when it finally ends. I think it would be even harder to stop breastfeeding if I knew he was most likely my last baby. Another interesting phase of life, right?
#8 of 53 Old 03-11-2009, 10:21 PM

Isn't it possible, and yes, probably natural, to feel a little of both? I treasure my nursing relationship with DS, and will be sad when it's run its course, but I can't deny that there'll be a part of me that'll be thinking "My body is MINE again!" Like any child's milestone, weaning is probably going to be bittersweet. More bitter for some, more sweet for others, but most likely a combination of the two. I think I'll be neither sobbing in the corner nor clicking my heels. Or maybe I'll do both at the same time, I don't know. But I don't think that being excited at the prospect of not nursing anymore is any more or less natural than being sad about it.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#9 of 53 Old 03-12-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchChild View Post

Some ups, some downs.
I can totally relate!!!
#10 of 53 Old 03-12-2009, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
BF never gave me huge warm fuzzy feelings. I was mainly glad when #1 was done. The only negative was that it meant I had to be more careful about the rest of her diet. And I'll bf the new one as long as necessary (at least 2 years), but I won't cry when that's over either. I don't think it makes me less of a woman or brainwashed or whatever if bf isn't my favorite part of mothering. It's just a way to feed a baby to me, and sometimes makes me feel a bit touched out. I'm glad I do it because it is a convenient and nutritious way to feed, but it isn't this huge warm fuzzy nurture fest. Snuggling and co-sleeping are probably that for me.
#11 of 53 Old 03-12-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_babe View Post
Isn't it possible, and yes, probably natural, to feel a little of both? I treasure my nursing relationship with DS, and will be sad when it's run its course, but I can't deny that there'll be a part of me that'll be thinking "My body is MINE again!" Like any child's milestone, weaning is probably going to be bittersweet. More bitter for some, more sweet for others, but most likely a combination of the two. I think I'll be neither sobbing in the corner nor clicking my heels. Or maybe I'll do both at the same time, I don't know. But I don't think that being excited at the prospect of not nursing anymore is any more or less natural than being sad about it.
Well said. I was eating 6 foods when I weaned Evan, trust me, it was nice to eat again! It was sad that I felt I had to wean him though and I felt very sad b/c I never thought this would happen, but he did do better on the rx formula than he did on bm which helped me.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#12 of 53 Old 03-12-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwanMom View Post
Just wanted to say it is possible to nurse and not have any of these issues (sorry that they're bothering you):
OK, then. HOW?
#13 of 53 Old 03-12-2009, 04:16 PM

wow, I can't imagine wanting to nurse my grand children.

My dd1 self weaned at 3 1/2 and I was relieved when she did because I had been tandem nursing and it was quite hard on me to be nursing two at the same time. DD2 was a nursing addict. We nursed all the time, non stop. If I was not nursing her, she was screaming for me to be holding her and nursing her. I could not ever put her down, if she wasn't nursing I had to have her in a baby carrier, and most of the time I would be nursing her while she was in the baby carrier. I felt like our relationship was turning into a very negative one, where she was absolutely addicted to nursing and didn't want me for anything else. She couldn't come near me without nursing. I wasn't enjoying it at all and it was creating a real negative energy between us. I made the conscious decision to not offer my breast and try to redirect her attention when she wanted to nurse, and I night weaned her. It was the best thing I ever did. Our relationship practically changed overnight. Now I could hold her and talk with her and read her a book and even cook dinner. So, I was totally YAY about ending my breastfeeding relationship. I don't feel like I have lost any part of my womanhood. My breast's usefulness was fully exercised and I did enjoy breastfeeding both of my children well past infanthood.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#14 of 53 Old 03-12-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post
BF never gave me huge warm fuzzy feelings. I was mainly glad when #1 was done. The only negative was that it meant I had to be more careful about the rest of her diet. And I'll bf the new one as long as necessary (at least 2 years), but I won't cry when that's over either. I don't think it makes me less of a woman or brainwashed or whatever if bf isn't my favorite part of mothering. It's just a way to feed a baby to me, and sometimes makes me feel a bit touched out. I'm glad I do it because it is a convenient and nutritious way to feed, but it isn't this huge warm fuzzy nurture fest. Snuggling and co-sleeping are probably that for me.
This is pretty much how I feel.

I had all the best intentions to CLW but after over 2 years I am realizing a can't do it anymore and I do feel somewhat bad about it. I'm not enjoying it anymore. I'm frequently irritated by it so, yeah... I've initiated the weaning process.

Does it make me a lesser mother? Maybe. I'll just have to live with that. I just know that continuing to nurse with these negative feelings that I am having can't be a good thing for our relationship so I'll take the lesser of the two evils. But, I am looking forward to the end and remember fondly the good times.

and
#15 of 53 Old 03-12-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_babe View Post
:

I for one will miss our nursing relationship, but will not miss:
  1. the pump
  2. waking up 3-4x/night
  3. having my nipples grabbed
  4. having to do a lot of planning and coordinating just to go out for the night
Just to name a few.

Mama to BeaMax, born 8-3-08 :
: : : : :
#16 of 53 Old 03-12-2009, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Different people have different feelings.

I love nursing my babies and usually do it until they're around 2 1/2, 3. Generally they stop when I'm pregnant again. And you know, I am totally OK with that. I have zero desire to nurse my grandchildren, although I would do it in a heartbeat if I could.

Generally, I think it's a bad idea to judge other people's reactions by your own feelings. It's just not a fair comparison.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#17 of 53 Old 03-14-2009, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

ibelieve i was particularly emotional and nostalgic the day i wrote this. thanks for listening. dd2 is most likely my last child. i also think i was dealing with some guilt issues about dd1 and the way she weaned. however, i would like to say to those that wrote about pumping, i think that was one of my points, that pumping is a hassle and does change the dynamic of the relationship. although why i wanted to point that out, i am not sure. i did pump for 6 mo with dd1 when she was one and i worked 4 10 hr shifts while she stayed with dh. i also think i am dealing with some issues of how it is going to be different with this baby. dd2 will have me more fully in some ways than dd1, perhaps ill start a new thread about that. as for the ones that think nursing someone elses child is strange, if a child was visiting your home, or you were keeping it and the dc was hungry or thirsty, wouldnt you offer food and or drink? when it is a baby, the food & drink is breastmilk, so why would it be weird? breasts are for making milk... i would feed any child that needed it with my breasts, like salma hayek didnt even hesitate, that was the coolest... and the reason i talked of feeding dgc was because i had stated i believe in the multigenerational childrearing, as in humans are meant to breed at a youngish age, and elders meant to raise them. in today's society, people no longer gather food in the wild mostly so my dd would work and i was wondering if i could feed the child during those hours... but that wouldnt work anyway i guess because then dd supply would be affected.... ramblings of a woman having hormones coming back to normal levels, i think it takes longer when you are older.... also after eading a few 'touched out' and 'im done' posts in the breastfeeding beyond infancy, i do remember that part too... just full of excitement with my almost 4 month old and sentimental....

#18 of 53 Old 03-14-2009, 01:17 PM

I loved breastfeeding, and now I love being done breastfeeding. I was pregnant and/or breastfeeding for almost 9 years - that's a long time to have birth and pregnancy hormones running through your body! If I have another baby, I'm sure I'll love breastfeeding him/her, but I'm not sad that non of my kids are doing it anymore. My oldest nursed for over 4 years, my middle for 2, and my youngest for almost 3 and a half. That's a loooong time.
#19 of 53 Old 03-14-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBaBa View Post
Does it make me a lesser mother?
Nope, not at all.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#20 of 53 Old 03-14-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
OK, then. HOW?
Women get pregnant while nursing all the time.

Of course, other women don't get pregnant while nursing all the time.

I'm with you, MegBoz. I have zero sex drive. I have anti-sex-drive in fact. We've been mostly co-sleeping with one of my twins (she has a crib in our room as well) and whenever the baby isn't in bed and DH tries to cuddle me, I want to kick him. GIVE ME MY SPACE!!! We just moved the baby out of our room last night and it went SURPISINGLY well. We put our good sleeper in the crib in our room and she only woke once, around 5am. The one we put in her own room, I can't believe it, she only woke ... well, 3 times, but that's "only" for her. I LOVE having her in bed with me but I wish I could enjoy her fuzzy little head and little bum in the air and cuddly warm body without nursing 15 times a night. I wish she could just sleep there. But she won't.

I got periods back when my son was 9 months - still nursing, but sleeping through the night. I'm hoping giving the baby the boot from our bed will do the job... we'll see.

There are some women though who don't get periods back until they wean - so ... who knows.

My babies tend to claw at my face while nursing which isn't fun. It is nice to see them gulping and happy but I have to admit holding a baby gulping and happy with a bottle is nice, too.

There are pros... and cons... to being done nursing. Nothing wrong with looking forward to those pros.

FWIW I had to wean my son at 14 months and was sad, always wanted to nurse the next one two years... well the next one turned out to bring company along and the whole thing has been harder than I imagined. We'll be coming up on a year in 2 weeks - I'm happy we made it this far!!!

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
#21 of 53 Old 03-14-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karika View Post
I am not sure what would have caused the kicking and flailing, unless it was to get you r breasts to let down... as for the negative sex drive, it is by design of nature that you not get pregnant again until your dc is past the toddler years. the feeling 'touched out' is related to that as well, to not let you get pregnant.

feeling "touched out" is also nature's way of nudging us toward weaning. . .

my 32 mo is pretty much weaned, as of a few weeks ago. she still nurses every few days, but i consider her weaned for the most part. bittersweet, for sure.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#22 of 53 Old 03-14-2009, 11:45 PM

I believe she is sorry for the women who are brainwashed the same way I do. It's about those women who don't want to nurse at all or for not that long because they believe their breasts are for male stimulation and not feeding babies, because our society tells us that. I think that's what she meant.

As far as missing the relationship goes, I miss it terribly. I was nursing and pumping and eventually my supply dropped so I was nursing and pumping and supplementing. Now my baby is very little formula and lots of donor milk. And I no longer make milk In fact, I miss it so much we are TTC earlier than we planned so that I may be able to reintroduce her to nursing. That's how badly I want to nurse her again. Of course, I'm going to do things differently this time: LLL meetings, no bottles at all (DD had a bottle at 3wks but it was milk, not formula), lots of support, etc.

But all that being said, it doesn't make someone a lesser mother for not nursing because they couldn't. It doesn't make someone a lesser mother for having to supplement or for being ready to end the breast feeding relationship at some point in the near future. It doesn't make someone a lesser mother for not enjoying the breast feeding relationship. But I will go this far: It does make someone a lesser mother for not even bothering to try because "I heard it hurts" or "WIC pays for all the formula anyway" (actually, they don't and they most certainly do not pay for the bottles and soap to wash them) or "It's easier not to" or simply because they are selfish and want to continue smoking and drinking and going partying. THAT is what makes you a lesser mother, and that alone.
Actually, I think it's amazing that mothers can dislike nursing but do it anyway because they know that's what's best for their child. Really, that is amazing, really really amazing.

Me with my baby girl Maeleigh (Oct 08) and My (step) baby girl Whren (May 05) in Heaven with her mommy .. And introducing our little JuneBug (June 10) We heard the !!!
#23 of 53 Old 03-15-2009, 02:09 AM

My usefulness as a woman is not defined by my child rearing abilities or lack there of. My breasts do not loose function after I wean my last child. My "self" does not diminish because my children reach a point where they need me differently.

I've breastfed for 8 years out of my life and my youngest is 2.5, nursed longer then the others and I CANNOT WAIT for him to wean. If he doesn't wean himself by this summer, I'm doing it for him.

I debated posting to this but I got to thinking about how irritating it is that most the US thinks breasts are only for men's playthings, and there is the opposite, that they're only for nursing. There's more to life then nursing, more to being a mother then nursing. Mourn the loss of it, ok. But it seems a little more then mourning here.

/dons flameproof suit

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#24 of 53 Old 03-15-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Dragon View Post
My usefulness as a woman is not defined by my child rearing abilities or lack there of. My breasts do not loose function after I wean my last child. My "self" does not diminish because my children reach a point where they need me differently.

I've breastfed for 8 years out of my life and my youngest is 2.5, nursed longer then the others and I CANNOT WAIT for him to wean. If he doesn't wean himself by this summer, I'm doing it for him.

I debated posting to this but I got to thinking about how irritating it is that most the US thinks breasts are only for men's playthings, and there is the opposite, that they're only for nursing. There's more to life then nursing, more to being a mother then nursing. Mourn the loss of it, ok. But it seems a little more then mourning here.

/dons flameproof suit

I'm not going to flame you, I'm going to agree with you. My breast are not JUST for nursing. My usefullness is not tied up with being able to lactate.

I love nursing little babies, but I hated nursing my squirmy, poking, prodding, pulling, kicking, wanting to stay latched on all night toddler. When it got to the point where I didn't even want her to touch me, I knew it was time to wean. After two years I was celebrating like crazy when she weaned.

Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker. - Linus
#25 of 53 Old 03-15-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix23 View Post
I'm not going to flame you, I'm going to agree with you. My breast are not JUST for nursing. My usefullness is not tied up with being able to lactate.

I love nursing little babies, but I hated nursing my squirmy, poking, prodding, pulling, kicking, wanting to stay latched on all night toddler. When it got to the point where I didn't even want her to touch me, I knew it was time to wean. After two years I was celebrating like crazy when she weaned.
My oldest was doing that at 11 months and when he self weaned at that age, i was thrilled. It wasn't even so much so that I didn't like nursing, but more that HE decided and I was very happy with that decision. He liked food that he could pick up more then he liked milk. (he still wont drink any milk of any kind to this day and he is 12). He is very attached me to, but our nursing relationship didn't last long, it was perfect timing for us to be done and I was very happy about that.
#26 of 53 Old 03-15-2009, 07:14 PM

When DS1 weaned I think it was a really good thing that I was pg at the time or I would have had a very hard time with it. Being a nursing mom is part of my identity, and I'll definitely be extremely sad when that part of my life is over. When DS weaned I had friends who were still nursing, or nursing new babies and I longed to have that again. Now I do, and it makes me so happy. Of course, there is a ton more to me than just nursing, but it is one of my favorite things about motherhood.

I'll never forget a moment I had with some older moms a few years ago. I was at a festival, and we were camping. I was away from DS for the first time and was pumping to keep up supply but not getting much. I was at the communal sink washing my pump parts and 2 women starting talking to me about it. One of the women talked about when her child had weaned, it had been years, like maybe 10, and she broke down crying. Her friend cried with her and I teared up. We all hugged. It really made me realize how important this gift is we give our children, and how short of a time we have to give that gift. I knew even more at that moment that I would nurse DS for as long as he wanted. I wish I could find that woman again and tell her how much she touched me.
#27 of 53 Old 03-15-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz;13344681[LIST
[*]I want AF back because I want my libido back[*]I want AF back because I want to have another baby[*]I'm looking forward to no longer having to wear pads in my bras (they're a hassle & I don't like how they look.)[*]I'm looking forward to having smaller breasts again (I teach aerobics & want my A-cups back. And no, I don't teach aerobics because I'm brainwashed into thinking I must be skinny! I love it & exercise is extremely beneficial for one's health.)[*]I WOH and don't want to have to worry about pumping at the office (a big hassle)[*]My breasts still are a little tender & sensitive sometimes, so it will be nice to not have to deal with that either.[/LIST]
Quote:
OK, then. HOW?
I noticed that your little one is still very young (not yet 7 months?). A lot of things will go away with time, not just with weaning.

[I]my libido back[/]

Time for most. Even many non-nursing new mothers do not "have it back" at 7 months after birth. Your body wants you to focus on taking care of the baby.

I want AF back because I want to have another baby

For nursing moms, the average of AF return is something around 7-10 months. For women who ecologically bfeed it is still only 14 months. Most evidence points to healthier outcomes for mom & new baby when mom is at least 12 months past the first birth before becomming pg again. So, on average, by the time your body is ready to have another, it is safe and healthy to do so.

I'm looking forward to no longer having to wear pads in my bras (they're a hassle & I don't like how they look.)

Most mothers of older nurslings give them up eventually. For some, that is within weeks of birth, for others months, and for an (unlucky) few that is never but that is definatley the exception, not the rule.

I'm looking forward to having smaller breasts again (I teach aerobics & want my A-cups back. And no, I don't teach aerobics because I'm brainwashed into thinking I must be skinny! I love it & exercise is extremely beneficial for one's health.)

Pregnancy, itself, changes the breasts more than nursing. That said, many women change drastic changes in breast size while still nursing. Once again, though, it is not always when you still have a small infant.

I WOH and don't want to have to worry about pumping at the office (a big hassle

Many women continue nursing for months or even years past when they decide to no longer pump at work. If you are around DC enough, they can drink water and eat solids during the day and nurse when you are availalbe. Once again, though, this only works for an older infant/child.

My breasts still are a little tender & sensitive sometimes, so it will be nice to not have to deal with that either.

Totally. You may get used to it/your breasts may adapt/ or you might stay this way. Really nothing you can do about it that I know of.

Once your body learns it deoesn't need to produce that much, it will even out. PITA while it lasts, though. Of course, having this problem implies that you have a small infant who actually GIVES you a 7-8 hour span in which to get engorged--- I didn't get that until about 3.5 years with DD and around 4 with DS.

It will come Of course, for me, the twining little toes in the bed made me want to at least wear panties

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormaJean13 View Post
:

I for one will miss our nursing relationship, but will not miss:
  1. the pump
  2. waking up 3-4x/night
  3. having my nipples grabbed
  4. having to do a lot of planning and coordinating just to go out for the night
Just to name a few.
Once again, these are problems primarily with children under 1 year. After their children can eat enough solids in a day to fill them up, many WOH moms stop pumping but continue nursing evenings, nights and weekends. You never know when an individual baby will sleep through the night, but it is not standard to be woken up 3-4x nightly right up until weaning. With an older nursling manners are a *MUST.* And, of course, as your child ages the coordination of going out for the night will become less about milk and more about stranger anxiety, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogger View Post
My oldest was doing that at 11 months and when he self weaned at that age, i was thrilled. It wasn't even so much so that I didn't like nursing, but more that HE decided and I was very happy with that decision. He liked food that he could pick up more then he liked milk. (he still wont drink any milk of any kind to this day and he is 12). He is very attached me to, but our nursing relationship didn't last long, it was perfect timing for us to be done and I was very happy about that.
I, personally, would be terrified if an 11 month old refused any human milk, formula, or whole milk. Children really need a full milk product until at least 2 to have optimal brain development (and really, even minimal nutrition). Most people consider a child that age who "weans" to be in the midst of a nursing strike and there are ways to work through that. I think it's great that you provided bmilk for 11 months : but I didn't want other mom's to think that a child weaning at 11 months was "CLW" or within the biological norm.

#28 of 53 Old 03-15-2009, 08:14 PM

Oops, as for the OP.

First, for people who exclusively pump I can only I like to think that I could pump until my child would have weaned naturally, but gosh... it seems like more than the normal amount of work of nursing without many of the benefits for mom. So I can really understand the overwhelming feeling being relief. And joy not just to be done, but that *you* were able to do it!

For children whose children wean later, there is also generally very mixed emotions. You are loosing something, but having made it, and having watched your child blossom and leave part of their childhood behind can also be very satisfying and joyful. I have to say, while I had mixed emotions with DD's weaning (because I felt that it was artificially cut short) with DS' it was basically all positive. Sure, it was sad that I would never nurse again since he was my last, but he was 5.75. I was definately ready *for myself* for him to wean and it was exhilerating to see his pride at being ready to leave nursing behind him.

#29 of 53 Old 03-15-2009, 08:20 PM

I totally agree about the toes and the panties ...LOL

When I still had the leaking issue I would just put chux pads and towels on the bed. Thankfully those days are long gone.

Almost crunchy but sometimes soggy, homeschooling mommy of 2. biggrinbounce.gif

I work from home and love showing others how to do it too!

http://www.empoweredhomeschooler.com  computergeek2.gif

#30 of 53 Old 03-16-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post
I noticed that your little one is still very young (not yet 7 months?). A lot of things will go away with time, not just with weaning.

[I]my libido back[/]

Time for most. Even many non-nursing new mothers do not "have it back" at 7 months after birth. Your body wants you to focus on taking care of the baby.

I want AF back because I want to have another baby

For nursing moms, the average of AF return is something around 7-10 months. For women who ecologically bfeed it is still only 14 months. Most evidence points to healthier outcomes for mom & new baby when mom is at least 12 months past the first birth before becomming pg again. So, on average, by the time your body is ready to have another, it is safe and healthy to do so.

I'm looking forward to no longer having to wear pads in my bras (they're a hassle & I don't like how they look.)

Most mothers of older nurslings give them up eventually. For some, that is within weeks of birth, for others months, and for an (unlucky) few that is never but that is definatley the exception, not the rule.

I'm looking forward to having smaller breasts again (I teach aerobics & want my A-cups back. And no, I don't teach aerobics because I'm brainwashed into thinking I must be skinny! I love it & exercise is extremely beneficial for one's health.)

Pregnancy, itself, changes the breasts more than nursing. That said, many women change drastic changes in breast size while still nursing. Once again, though, it is not always when you still have a small infant.

I WOH and don't want to have to worry about pumping at the office (a big hassle

Many women continue nursing for months or even years past when they decide to no longer pump at work. If you are around DC enough, they can drink water and eat solids during the day and nurse when you are availalbe. Once again, though, this only works for an older infant/child.

My breasts still are a little tender & sensitive sometimes, so it will be nice to not have to deal with that either.

Totally. You may get used to it/your breasts may adapt/ or you might stay this way. Really nothing you can do about it that I know of.

Once your body learns it deoesn't need to produce that much, it will even out. PITA while it lasts, though. Of course, having this problem implies that you have a small infant who actually GIVES you a 7-8 hour span in which to get engorged--- I didn't get that until about 3.5 years with DD and around 4 with DS.

It will come Of course, for me, the twining little toes in the bed made me want to at least wear panties

Once again, these are problems primarily with children under 1 year. After their children can eat enough solids in a day to fill them up, many WOH moms stop pumping but continue nursing evenings, nights and weekends. You never know when an individual baby will sleep through the night, but it is not standard to be woken up 3-4x nightly right up until weaning. With an older nursling manners are a *MUST.* And, of course, as your child ages the coordination of going out for the night will become less about milk and more about stranger anxiety, etc...

I, personally, would be terrified if an 11 month old refused any human milk, formula, or whole milk. Children really need a full milk product until at least 2 to have optimal brain development (and really, even minimal nutrition). Most people consider a child that age who "weans" to be in the midst of a nursing strike and there are ways to work through that. I think it's great that you provided bmilk for 11 months : but I didn't want other mom's to think that a child weaning at 11 months was "CLW" or within the biological norm.
I hope I am just misunderstanding you , but it was absolutely child led. He completely refused and no pushing I did would get him to keep going. If that isn't child led, i don't know what is. I really truly don't know what else I could have done, and I never would have forced him to eat things that caused him pain (milk, cow, soy etc).

But, he did turn out ok. It might not be the norm, but it was child led and what worked best for him, and I was happy because it was on his terms.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page