Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Breastfeeding (http://www.mothering.com/forum/27-breastfeeding/)
-   -   for those that used a nipple shield (http://www.mothering.com/forum/27-breastfeeding/1054612-those-used-nipple-shield.html)

dearmama22 03-12-2009 08:55 AM

does it bug you that your baby is sucking on plastic? I use the medela brand, is there a better/safer type?

How often do you clean it, and how?

Do you find that you pump more and breastfeed less often because of the annoyance of having to use this, carry it around everywhere, and deal with the leaking?

smanore 03-12-2009 09:04 AM

Actually, it's not plastic, it's silicone. But I get what you're saying. Having to hunt for it etc. would be a pain. That's one reason moms wean off of them as soon as they're able. it can occasionally help get the baby on breast quicker, but it can take a while to wean baby off of it.

marimara 03-12-2009 09:40 AM

I had to use a silicone one when my dd was a newborn. She wouldn't latch properly till she was a bit bigger and I had MAJOR pain for 6 weeks. Anyways, I just washed it will soap and water. I kept my in a little pouch that I kept near the bed so I could just whip it out. It did bother me about being so "un natural" but I had to do what I had to do. I went to multiple lactation consultants and they said my dd's mouth was just too small to get a good latch for the first early weeks. That being said, I did get her off as soon as it stopped hurting. Then we happily nursed for 2 years. I never pumped because that hurt worse. I wanted her to learn how to latch properly and by using the bottle w/pumped milk more it just prolonged the problem.

jecombs 03-12-2009 10:42 AM

It never bugged me that she was sucking on plastic. I was just glad I had it because it was the only way I could get DD to latch onto my flat, inverted nips. Plus, I knew DD would be getting a bottle at daycare (when she went at 3 mo.), so it didn't seem that different to me.

I cleaned mine after every nursing session. I actually ended up with 2 or 3 of them, because I didn't want to have to wash them in the middle of the night! I just hand-washed them with dishsoap and let them air-dry on a clean paper towel.

The sheild in no way encouraged me to pump. In my mind, that would have been even more work, because I would have had to clean all those pump parts and bottles!

OP, I don't really understand your comment about the sheild causing leaking... can you (or someone) clarify? I never had any leaking with the sheild. Now, I did wear breast shells to help draw-out my nips and they caused tons of leaking! Which is probably why I stopped wearing them.

dearmama22 03-12-2009 11:13 AM

i mean when I take the shield off my breast ,milk leaks out, down my shirt/stomach. And sometimes all over baby too! m

dearmama22 03-12-2009 11:20 AM

Where did you find your shields? I just got mine from the Hospital but I want to buy a few more.

marimara 03-12-2009 11:22 AM

I bought some at Babys R us. I did have that leaking that your talking about when u take it off. Sometimes I just put a burp cloth underneath my boob to catch it.

Devaskyla 03-12-2009 08:13 PM

I used a shield for *3* years with ds1. Yep, you read that right. I also used it with ds2 for a couple months (but this time I'm free mwahaha).

To deal with the milk left in it, I'd take it off with a nursing pad under my breast & tip anything still in it after I broke the suction onto the pad, then leave the shield sitting on the pad to drip until the next time I needed it. I only ever just rinsed it with warm water, a couple times a day at most, sometimes only every couple days, & then sterilized it once a month or so.

I only ever pumped when I absolutely had to (road trips when I knew I wasn't going to be able/comfortable nursing). Pumping is way worse than using a shield, imo. And when you pump, your baby ends up sucking on a plastic/silicone nipple anyway. I'd rather have it attached to me & getting stimulation from the baby than a pump.

One little tip for helping with your supply if you're using a shield, use one hand to stroke around your breast, helping to push the milk towards the nipple. You don't have to push hard, just a light massaging movement from the outside towards the nipple, all the way around. It'll help your baby get more milk, help empty the ducts that are further back & decrease any problems with supply because more milk is getting taken out.

dearmama22 03-12-2009 08:16 PM

My baby is only a week old but I am already looking at getting a pump.

My boobs HURT. There is to much milk in them and baby isn't taking enough- even though he eats all the time! It also kills me when he is sucking.

I feel like pumping would be easier...... and I feel bad for thinking that way

DeannaK 03-12-2009 08:38 PM

I wish my little one would latch with the shield. He ends up crumpling it up in his mouth like a dog with a chew toy.

Because I have twins I have to pump for one and nurse the other. My nips are killing me! I pump at least 8 times a day and nurse the other baby 10 times a day.

I've heard this is all worth it. LOL!

dearmama22 03-13-2009 07:23 PM

My baby is getting a rash around his lips and his lips are getting swollen from sucking

I hATE this. I just want to pump.