Would you buy a used pump? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used pump?
Yes, but only from a friend 17 18.48%
Yes, from someone selling one on craigslist or elsewhere 19 20.65%
Yes, but I'd buy new tubing for it 35 38.04%
No way, it's not worth the risk. 21 22.83%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-19-2009, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ameda pumps are made so that only the tubing is in contact with the milk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2009, 02:18 AM

I bought a used Lactina on eBay, specifically so I could share it, loan it out, and resell it with no guilt.

I got it for $200 with $20 shipping, which is an awfully good deal considering I can resell it for that much or more. It's a good idea to call Medela with the serial # to check if it's a rental that wasn't returned, but this one wasn't, so we're good.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Say View Post
Of course, I can see why LLL and the FDA would say 'no' based on hypothetical possible risks under certain circumstances, even if there has never been a single, documented case of a problem. I just can't worry that much!
This. I think our society is ridiculously over paranoid. Clean the pump carefully and there really isn't likely to be a problem. A girlfriend gave me her used pump and I'm eternally grateful.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamassong View Post
Also FWIW, From Breastfeeding.com:
Here are some common breastpumps that are labeled "single user" devices:
The Medela Pump In Style Breastpump
The Isis Breast Pump by Avent"
How could the Isis possibly be single user? The whole thing is about the size of your hand and could totally be sterilized.

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
Old 03-19-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post
Okay....say the inner guts of the pump get sprayed with BM.

If it's your own pump, and it's your BM, wouldn't bacteria grow in it? Wouldn't that be a risk, too?
I always wondered about this too... it seems if BM really was making its way back inside the pump the mold factor would be a lot more of a health risk than anything else.

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
Old 03-19-2009, 11:48 AM

New tubing would be bought and it would be nice to have one at work and one at home. That would be the only reason why I would buy a used one.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post
Okay....say the inner guts of the pump get sprayed with BM.

If it's your own pump, and it's your BM, wouldn't bacteria grow in it? Wouldn't that be a risk, too?

Seems to me that the only milk making its way into the receptacle is the milk in the tubing. If milk particles from the inner workings made their way back into the tubing, then I'd be worried even if it was my own, brand new pump!

I don't see how someone else's BM particles in the motor are going to get into the tubing and into whatever container you're collecting milk in.

Am I making sense? I'm having difficulty conveying exactly what I mean.
I have read that yeast can be a problem. If you have thrush your pump can be infected and you can reinfect yourself every time you pump. Which is crazy... but I have heard this can happen which would mean yes there is a risk even as a single user.

But for serious life threatening "Oh my god I infected my baby with WHAT?" type illnesses - supposedly, never a documented case. Our world is all about "cover your ass." No one wants to be sued for anything and rather than allow peopleto have personal responsibility, the professionals just scare us to do what they think is what's right - and what's right is what reduces their risk of being sued.

Anyway.

The real risk of buying a used pump is the suction might, well, suck.

When I was pregnant with my twins I saw the Pump in Style (original) on drugstore.com for $200. That was the pump I figured I would want - but of course why would I need to pump? I never pumped for my son. Surely my girls would have all milk, all on tap, no formula, no bottles, because I would be a lactating super mama and not need a pump. So I didn't buy it when I saw it.

I didn't know that low price was because it was being d/c'ed.

So my girls were preemies and my supply sucked and I ended up having to rent a pump (Lactina SELECT) and it worked well but the $30 a month, I felt, I should buy a pump... I tried a Medela Double Ease from a friend before renting but it didn't work so well - the rental place checked it and the suction was not where it should be. Used + old = bad suction. So either keep renting... or buy...

I wanted the PIS original because I liked controlling both speed and suction (as the SELECT allows - the Lactina original does not)

Well darn it if the PIS original was no where to be had, only the advanced.

I tried a Symphony from another rental place (which is the hospital version of the Advanced) and I just didn't get as much milk from it. Oh, it was nice to look at ! Such a pretty yellow. But it didn't work as well.

I found a PIS original on Ebay - new in box - I ordered it - it came - the box had been opened. Grrrrrr. But it looked, smelled new - was in plastic - to be safe I took it to the rental place and had them test it. The suction was not where it should be. Old + unused = bad suction. Ebay guy took the pump back, yay.

I bought a Ameda and it worked for me - the Ameda is like the PIS original and only $150 brand new if you don't go for the accessories which you don't need - just use the hospital freebie formula bag to store it in! BUT - I gave up on pumping after another month or two anyway. It was so much hassel and I thought I was making enough to do all boob on tap... which I wasn't... but I digress.

Anyway. What I learned.

Home pumps are warrented for one year. Why ? Well - some times they will last longer than that - but a lot of times they will conk out. They will still work, but not as well.

That is the biggest risk to buying a used pump - or even using your own old pump. Any lactation sales place should be able to test it for you - they shove some gauge in the horns and see what the PSI is.

For my money I would have been better renting. I don't know why I got this wild hair to own my own - but I did. Oh well! Now I have this pump laying around I used less than 2 months. Whoops.

People think they will get their money's worth if they buy their own pump, vs. renting. But you can't really look at that $300 price tag (and really I have issues with Medela pricing them so high and having such snob appeal to them) and say, well, if I rented every month and plan to have X kids, it will be worth it - because the pump might die after one kid. At $30 a month to rent (estimate) - that's 10 months of renting for the price of new - it seems like easy math - but it may not be. For your $300 you have a pump that may last a year or more, or may not. For your $30 a month, you always have a top-notch pump.

You also may get more milk with the rental (esp. the Lactina select ) so build up a stash and have more milk in storage plus a better milk supply - it's just not all equal. You can't just figure in price.

BUT suction is the biggest worry when it comes to buying used, not germs.

OMG I just wrote a novel on breastpumps. If you've read this far, thanks.

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
Old 03-19-2009, 07:49 PM

Yes, I would and have. However, I purchased it from someone who I would also allow to nurse DS.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say View Post
My best friend gave me her Medela Advanced Pump n' Style. I bought all new tubing and breast shields and when I phoned Medela and told them it was used, they told me how to clean the inside membrane in case it had accumulated dust.
Me too. I didn't buy it, but I would have, from her. She barely used it anyway (she was a SAHM), and so it was practically new. I know her well enough that I didn't worry about anything. I also stay home with my daughter, and rarely pump. And if it breaks down, I'll buy a new one. But it was sooooo nice not to have to spend that $350 or whatever they cost new!

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
Old 03-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Banned

I would. I really wouldn't be that concerned about it. It's pretty rare that milk backs up into the motor, and even if it did, even more rare that could cause problems with the milk you pump. Most diseases will die pretty quickly once exposed to the atmosphere.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:49 PM

My husband and I have discussed how milk could get into the motor many times. I have an ameda purely yours and the diaphram completely keeps milk from the tubing. I could turn it upside down and the milk would probably come out of the flanges, but would still not be able to get in the tubing. So, I don't see how it could ever enter the motor. That said, Medela pumps, milk can enter the tubing. SIL had a PIS and she showed me how if you pull the tubing from the back when you are done pumping and it splashes it runs right into the tubing. I think they make them that way so they have a valid reason to say it "could" get into the motor. Kinda generic if you ask me since my ameda cost 100 bucks less than her medela, but whatever. Guess I am way off subject here.

To the original question, yes I would but only from and friend AND I would buy new tubing.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:34 PM

i went out and got a new pump, and then a friend offered me her old pump, which had previously been my boss'. i decided not to keep that pump, because she said she wanted it back, and with my luck it would die while i had it and i would feel bad that i couldn't give it back to her in working order. if she had been the only one to use the pump, and it was newer/ had been used less frequently, i probably would keep it to use for this baby.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
Old 03-22-2009, 07:36 PM

I bought a used Ameda Purely Yours off of Craigslist and there is NO way old milk can get in there and contaminate any tubing or anything. It's a completely closed system.

I'm extra bad though because I just used the parts that came with it, I sterilized them in one of those microwave sterilizer bags. My daughter seems ok so far!
Old 03-22-2009, 08:33 PM

not only have I, I then sold it too when I was done.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My biggest concern with a used pump would be the voided warrenty- what if I spent $100 on a pump, then it broke and I couldn't get it fixed? It might be a better investment to spend $300 on the pump and be able to get free replacement parts if something breaks "before it's supposed to wear out." Or, as runnersuck pointed out above in the thread, the suction might not be good.

Oops, I meant to type "runnerduck" but I'm leaving that typo in there because it's funny.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 03-22-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Or, as runnersuck pointed out above in the thread, the suction might not be good.

Oops, I meant to type "runnerduck" but I'm leaving that typo in there because it's funny.
Well at least you didn't slip an F in there...

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
Old 03-23-2009, 12:48 AM

I'd buy a used one from an unknown person. I did buy a PIS from my friend and replaced tubing because there was moisture in it and the little valve thingies because they just need to be replaced every so often. I sterilized everything else and used the pump for a year. The friend I bought it from used it to EP, but I'm not sure for how long. I have now given it to my sister.

I tend to buy things used whenever possible. I hate buying new things when there are used options available! It never occured to me that there might be a problem in using a pump that someone else had used.

User Tag List