what is with the breastfeeding poo? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-26-2009, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
is it just me or does breastfeeding poo stain everything (diapers, clothes) & not come out in the wash?? i do not remember this problem with ds1 & i have not changed washing machines, detergent since then - but i am getting really frustrated pulling things out of the dryer that are ruined.

does anyone else have this problem?
claudia

yogamama to finnigan 8 february 2006, sweet sebastian 16 december 2009  & miracle baby

due august 2011  ::

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 03-26-2009, 03:56 PM

I actually have noticed the exact OPPOSITE. He has had EXPLOSIONS and i just wash with the same old baby detergent (no stone throwing please) and everything comes out just fine. Maybe you need a new washer?

You know what happened to me once? I couldnt figure out why DH clothes would not come clean. (Hes in drywall, and the mud, aka plaster looks like it will never come out, but it always does.) Turns out my washer wasnt agitating, even though it sounded like it was. Next time you run a load, very slighty lift the lid and check to see if the center peiece is moving back and forth during the wash cycle.
#3 of 13 Old 03-26-2009, 03:58 PM

Yes! I am and it's really frustrating! I've been stain-treating before washing and that hasn't helped either.
#4 of 13 Old 03-26-2009, 04:13 PM

Must vary by baby. My son's poo stained, my daughters' poo has not.

Probably because they're delicate and feminine and it would be unwomanly to have poo that stains.

Oxyclean will take care of the stains, though. Even when they're "set" - I never worried about them in diapers, though - time would take care of the diaper stains. Plus they're diapers so who cares if they're stained. They're just going to get pooed on again...

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
#5 of 13 Old 03-26-2009, 04:14 PM

here is an AWESOME trick that my SIL told me, and it has WORKED everytime!!!

put the stained (washed, but don't put it in the dryer) clothing article out in the SUN! the sun will bleach out the poop stain!! :

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#6 of 13 Old 03-26-2009, 04:17 PM

Just want to second the Baby Oxy and the sun!
#7 of 13 Old 03-26-2009, 04:31 PM

See the sun never did a thing for us. And we we in CA when my son was a baby and the CA sun blisters the paint off of cars... so...

another thing that makes me think, it varies by baby... but oxyclean, worked every time.

What is baby oxy? Is is different?

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
#8 of 13 Old 03-26-2009, 04:32 PM

what helps me is to soak it right away...hot wash cycle rather than cold usually takes out the stains, but i as a rule dont have enough stained clothes to run a hot cycle and just wash it by hand - so far no clothes has been ruined!
#9 of 13 Old 03-26-2009, 04:43 PM

it hasn't stained anything but cloth diapers, and that suns right out!

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#10 of 13 Old 03-26-2009, 04:53 PM

HOT water always worked for me. I usually wash my lights in warm, my colors in cold, and my diapers in hot. I noticed that stained onesies would still come out stained in cold or warm, but if one got tossed in with the diapers it would come out clean 99% of the time.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#11 of 13 Old 03-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Say

I pre-rinse my daughter's bamboo inserts and diapers in cold, then wash in hot and cold. The one time I washed the diapers on hot without rinsing, I wound up with stains. I'm waiting for a good sunny day to bleach them out.
#12 of 13 Old 03-26-2009, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCatherine185 View Post
here is an AWESOME trick that my SIL told me, and it has WORKED everytime!!!

put the stained (washed, but don't put it in the dryer) clothing article out in the SUN! the sun will bleach out the poop stain!! :
Yes it works, even when its cloudy.

Also rubbing the stain with a bar of soap like Ivory before putting it in the wash.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#13 of 13 Old 03-26-2009, 08:51 PM

Guess it just must vary by child...my first two, their poop didn't stain anything at this age, including diapers. This baby, clothes are stain-free, but her prefolds and wipes are stained BAD, even with cold rinse, hot wash with plenty of detergent, two rinses. Normally, a bit of staining in dipes doesn't bother me, but these look so bad, it looks like they haven't been washed!

(Hmm, just realized, it could be the machine at our rental place...will be moving back home to a brand new fancy washer/dryer in a few weeks, so we'll see if the stains are somehow magically removed.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page