Breastfeeding making me anxious and depressed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-21-2009, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies. I am struggling here. I have a 7.5 m.o. who is a really fussy/distracted nursling.

He was ebf'd for 6 mos, and now that he is a little older he gets TOTALLY distracted when nursing.

He has had weight issues, so when he doesnt get a good nursing session in, I get overwhelmed with depression and anxiety.

He latches on for like a second, pops off, looks around, then does it again.

I am getting his weight checked tomorrow, and just by looking at him, I feel like he is really skinny.

I havent given him any solids today bc he hasnt really nursed and I dont want him to fill up on that.

Have tried dark room, sleepy baby, music, rocking, sling...

I am freaking out. PLease help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2009, 03:25 PM

I am going through the exact same thing...my lo is almost 8 months. This is what I have been doing and it's working.

acting really casual, I have found this to be the biggest help...if i am stressed and try to pressure her to nurse she pushes me away, but if i make my breasts very available and act like i don't care she is all about my boobs

....have to be at home to do this....when she is playing I sit next to her topless and when she sees my boob her eyes get all big and she grabs for it and latches on...for a minute or so.

....lay down on the bed with her topless and just act very relaxed and casual...until she nurses for a little bit
...warm bath with her
...nurse right before or after nap
....at night when she is sleeping she gets the best sessions in

do you co-sleep? I think that's the best way to get really good sessions in if you are afraid of weight loss. check out kellymom.com there is some good info about distractible babies. good luck...it will get better.

J- mama to E (8/08) and C (11/10)

Old 04-21-2009, 05:29 PM

I would definitely bedshare if you don't already - DD is the same way and has gone many days with not eating much at all, but she sure makes up for it that night!

The warm bath REALLY works - if you both get in, get all nice and warm and then ask if he wants to nurse at the end. DD has never refused at that point - I have heard that the warm water reminds them of being born and looking to nurse after that.

Will he sleepnurse? Sometimes I put DD in the wrap and bounce her to sleep and she will nurse while she is sleeping. The nice thing about that is that she will nurse a lot longer this way and so she gets more hindmilk where all the fat is.

He could have also had a growth spurt - DD always looks really skinny when she grows tall, and then she porks out again.

I have also layed down on the ground with DD and pull up my shirt while she is playing - because it's a novel nursing position to her, sometimes she will nurse this way because it's new and different. Maybe try some different positions but let him come to you or let him think nursing is his idea?

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
Old 04-22-2009, 03:19 PM

When my almost 8 month old gets distracted and keeps popping off I take it that she is not as hungry as the typical every 2 hours during the day...so I will put her on the floor with some toys and usually about 1/2 hour later she wants to eat and usually eats really well. I find I follow her cues which from a very young age has been every 2 hours throughout the day so she throws me off when she adds an extra 30 min.

Wife for 11 amazing yrs, Mom to a son REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(10), and three daughters loveeyes.gif (7),  love.gif(4),   energy.gif(3) hbac.gif, ..lost  angel.gif,(5) angel babies to early miscarriage....realizing we were not "finished" so we are expecting a lil BOY 1sttri.gif July 2012

Old 04-22-2009, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your replies ladies. Things were better today. I dont think I would be so worried, but he gained NO weight form 4-6 mos (actually lost a lb). So I am sort of freaked out about him getting enoug to eat.
When he doesnt nurse, I get so overwhelmed with anxiety to the point where it makes me depressed. I am DETERMINED to keeo bf'ing, despite everyone (including the doc) telling me to supp with formula.
Thanks again gals.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:12 AM

How much did your baby weigh at birth? 4 months? 6 months? now? When did you start solids? What solids? What do you mean by EBF?

I wish I could give you a hug. It's natural to worry about our babies when they aren't growing well. Getting depressed and anxious doesn't help. Your baby can pick up on your feelings. Try doing things to help you relax. If you don't know where to start try deep breathing. I'm sure if you go to google and type in deep breathing you will find lots of helpful info.

Your baby may benefit from massage, occupational therapy, or chiropractic.

Since your baby is old enough for solids if the doctor wants you to feed formula you could suggest feeding high calorie solids like avocado with olive oil. Avocado is a good first solid.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

User Tag List