leaving a three month old for 3-4 hrs twice a week - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-24-2009, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I hope this isn't a dumb question.

When my baby will be about 3 months old, I have to go back to school to take a class I need to graduate. The class is two days a week, a hour and a half long. My school is half an hour away, so all told I will be gone about 3 hours, or maybe more if I have to take the baby to my in-laws, which is 20 minutes in the opposite direction of my school.

Since I know the professor pretty well, I might see if he'll let me bring the baby with me as long as he/she doesn't fuss, but it's a seminar style class with few students, not a big lecture hall one, so I won't have much leeway.

If I can't bring the baby with me, will I need to express milk so the babysitter can feed the baby? Could I just express the milk into a cup or something right before I leave? Or will baby be just fine with me being gone for that time? Is there a way I can start teaching baby to nurse before and after the time that I will be gone, so when the class actually starts it won't be too difficult?

Thanks.

DD1 6/2009 DD2 5/1/2013-5/5/2013 (HIE) DS 3/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 04-24-2009, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A 3 month old baby should be able to eat on demand, when he/she is hungry so in a word NO you should not start to try and teach him/her to nurse before and after.

If I were in your shoes I would pump a stash and keep it in the freezer for these occasions. You could express right before you go, but this places more pressure on you. You want to make sure you have more than enough to leave for the sitter.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#3 of 7 Old 04-24-2009, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you thought about doing online courses?

Yes, you should pump, A baby that young will sometimes want to eat every hour. You just never know, and it wouldnt be very fair to your LO or the babysitter to not have anything to feed him. And at that age they really need to eat whenever they want so making a scedual isnt going to work, and even if you can get your lo on a schedual one day, it wont repeat the next.

If i where you I would research a pumping schedual, and start getting a good backup supply of Frozen BM now.

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#4 of 7 Old 04-24-2009, 06:05 PM

I started working part-time when mine were around four months old; I was usually away for four or five hours, depending on the day.

Here's what I'd do: don't start scheduling baby based on what's going to happen in the future. When you're with baby, let baby feed on demand. But you might introduce a pumping session once a day, to build up a little stash in the freezer.

Before you leave for your class, nurse baby. Plan to nurse as soon as you get home. Baby can be given bottles freely while you're gone, again on demand. If baby isn't interested in nursing when you arrive home, just pump off a bit and wait for baby to be ready.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#5 of 7 Old 04-24-2009, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Well, I have to take this exact class to graduate, so there's no getting around it since it's only offered every two years.

But I think I'll just feed on demand and start pumping to build up a little stash to tide baby over while I'm gone. Thanks for the advice!

DD1 6/2009 DD2 5/1/2013-5/5/2013 (HIE) DS 3/2014
#6 of 7 Old 04-24-2009, 10:04 PM

:

Thanks for the good answers, I'm going back to work part-time when my baby is two months. I will be gone for 2 to 2.5 hrs at a time. I am hoping that by the time they are older (not sure how old) they will not need much pumped milk, but especially at the beginning I'll make sure there is plenty at home. I'm worried that they won't want to nurse right before I leave, or at my lunch break.

I have one wonderful husband and one wonderful little toddler boy!
#7 of 7 Old 04-25-2009, 03:46 PM

Depends on the baby. DDs 1 and 2 simply couldn't be left for long at all and DD3 (5 months now) has been left in the care of DH for 2 -3 hours, several times a week for ages now (DH has health problems, well, I do too but I most able so I do all the shopping etc and as we don't have a car, I have to walk and/or use public transport which turns a short shopping trip by car into a VERY long one). Somehow, my DH seems to have a magic 'get baby to sleep' spell and she will sleep a lot of the time I am out.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page