How long does it take to empty a breast? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-29-2009, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm curious how long it takes a typical baby to empty a breast? My DD is 3 mos and never usually nurses more than 10-15 minutes per side. I'm not sure if it's bc most of the milk is out or what? I do have low supply (and she gets a bottle after nursing) but even in the morning when I know I have more milk (likely enough for the whole feed) she's still a 10 minute gal. I know when I pump most of the milk comes out in 10 minutes whether it's an ounce or 4 ounces. Anyway, just curious. Thanks.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#2 of 11 Old 04-29-2009, 09:41 PM

I don't think there's a standard answer, sorry. It would depend on how big the breast is, how full it is, how eagerly the baby is eating, how old the baby is etc.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#3 of 11 Old 04-29-2009, 10:46 PM

Mine, if he's really hungry, or upset, can empty a super full boob in 10 min. or less. But like the PP said, it really depends on a lot of other stuff!

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#4 of 11 Old 04-29-2009, 10:50 PM

A breast is never empty. We refer to emptying the breast, but that really reflects a misunderstanding of how milk production works. Even once the milk that already let down has been removed from the breast, if baby continues to suckle, even just gently, (s)he can and will stimulate further letdowns of milk. Milk is constantly being produced. That is why the advice is to allow baby to nurse until baby indicates that he/she is finished by letting go of the nipple voluntarily.

That said, if you mean how long does it take for baby to remove the milk that has already been let down, well that also depends on how much milk there is and how vigorously baby suckles.

FWIW, I don't think breast size matters too much, with all due respect to the PP.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#5 of 11 Old 04-30-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
A breast is never empty. We refer to emptying the breast, but that really reflects a misunderstanding of how milk production works. Even once the milk that already let down has been removed from the breast, if baby continues to suckle, even just gently, (s)he can and will stimulate further letdowns of milk. Milk is constantly being produced. That is why the advice is to allow baby to nurse until baby indicates that he/she is finished by letting go of the nipple voluntarily.

That said, if you mean how long does it take for baby to remove the milk that has already been let down, well that also depends on how much milk there is and how vigorously baby suckles.

FWIW, I don't think breast size matters too much, with all due respect to the PP.

Yes this!

I have had four completely different nurslings and I could give you four different answers to what it feels like but none of them are right for you. My current baby is not an agressive nurser and sometimes just snacks, but sometimes she will just hang out there for a while and I will continue to let down over and over. It's a never-ending supply. Cool huh?

Mama to Zoe (8/00), Morgan : (10/01), Brooke9/06), Casey 20wks (2/08), and Riley : (2/09): She's really here!!
#6 of 11 Old 05-04-2009, 01:32 AM

I don't think I ever have a completely empty breast. Seems my milk is always there in large amounts.

Stay at home wife to Jason for 7 years Mama to Larissa Mae 2 years old :, Gavin Clay 7 months :, and Neveah Ann April 24, 2005 to July 13, 2007 ED for my food allergic babe. :::
#7 of 11 Old 05-04-2009, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yep. I always tell mamas "They're factories, not warehouses."

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#8 of 11 Old 05-04-2009, 03:15 AM

Sounds like she's just very efficient.

My DD was like this for a looong time. I though for sure she was starving herself because she would be done in five minutes flat. But nope, she was just fulfilled on the amount she gulped down.

Can I ask why you suspect/think/know that you have low milk supply?

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#9 of 11 Old 05-04-2009, 03:19 AM

Dd and ds both have nursed on one breast for each feeding and usually finish in less than 5 minutes. 7 minutes is a marathon for us! Dd was a big baby and ds is too, big and efficient nursers.

I remember all the books saying to set up a nursing corner with food, books, pillows and a drink and after starting breastfeeding I wondered why you would need all of that stuff? It's not like you're there for long! I'd forgotten that some babies nursed for up to 40 minutes!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#10 of 11 Old 05-04-2009, 09:32 AM

Mine are 5 minutes on each side nursers, too. Occasionally, at the bedtime feeding, my little one will nurse for 15 or 20 minutes. But, that's more that he's tired and trying to fall asleep, rather than just eating.
#11 of 11 Old 05-04-2009, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

I'm guessing she is getting most of the milk in the 10 minutes...it's probably just a trickle after that.

Sparkling gemini: I got breast implants when I was 20. I sooo regret it. But the incision caused damage in there, unfortunately. I did the pumping around the clock thing when DD was new and take domperidone now but I still don't have enough milk to EBF. DD takes b/w 1-3 ounces of formula after each feed. I know she gets more than I can pump but in the morning I can pump 2.5-4 ounces (after sleeping through the night), usually about 2 ounces mid morning pumpings and 1-1.5 ounces in the evenings.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page