One side at night? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-17-2009, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On another thread I noticed a couple people mentioning that they will do all night nursing from the same side. I would love to do this, as it would be so much easier than going back and forth. But, I'm wondering if there is any 'risk' to this (could I mess up my supply?). DS is 4 months old and still wakes about 2-3 times a night.

So, has this set up worked for you? Please share your experience

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#2 of 11 Old 05-17-2009, 03:37 PM
Banned

I accidentally did this one night b/c I was in a sleep deprivation haze and baby would wake up and latch himself to the nipple closest to him and I would halfway wake up but not enough to remember to swtch sides. When I woke up one boob was painfully full. At work I had better than normal supply on the side where he had nursed all night and less than normal on the neglected side. So I guess if you can stand the pain of not nursing and make absolutely sure to choose a different side every night it might be OK?
#3 of 11 Old 05-17-2009, 04:51 PM

I have twins. There is one theory with twins that if you assign a boob to each baby each boob will make enough for that baby. Now bear in mind I now believe a lot of breastfeeding theories/advice is hogwash... but this does seem to work for some people and it is what we eventually tried to make work.

We co-slept with one of our babies and "her" boob was the left boob so that was all she ever had, night or day.

With my son, a singleton, we only coslept a handful of times and the whole switching places thing all night long to keep the boobs rotated was ... irritating. So the whole use one boob and one boob only thing all night long was nice.

Now they say your body will make milk to meet your demands - even if you put some weird demands on it, your body will figure it out. Like there are women who pump at work all week and then nurse on weekends - and their bodies will learn to make more milk on weekends. Sounds crazy but they say it works.

It seems to me that if you nurse your baby on both sides all day and then at night use, say, just the right side - the right side will learn it is on night time duty, make more milk then, the left won't, and you'll make the same amount on both sides by day, or something like that.

Based on the theories of what is supposed to happen, and how it does go for some people, it should be OK.

It is definately better than the whole rolling and rotating and trying to keep things even method. This way the baby slept in the middle of the bed, I slept on my normal side, DH slept on his, all was right with the world. More or less.

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
#4 of 11 Old 05-17-2009, 04:57 PM

I would do something similar...Instead of switching sides everytime, I would just nurse from the boob closest to him and then next time he woke me I would turn us both to the other side and nurse us both back to sleep on that side and etc, etc. It worked really well for us and I never felt engorged when I did that. Ocassionally I would wake up and he would be nursing on that side again, but I would just do the flip then.

( Did that make any sense? LOL)

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

#5 of 11 Old 05-17-2009, 08:21 PM

My daughter feeds on one side during the night but she only wakes once. To avoid the engorgement issue, I pump the unused side after she feeds. Yes, it's kind of a pain in the middle of the night but I just set up the pump so it's ready to go.
#6 of 11 Old 05-17-2009, 08:52 PM

I started this accidentally with my son, but it's worked out well. My other boob doesn't get too engorged until morning, when I was pumping anyway for donation! He never seems to eat much at night anymore, and if he seems really hungry, I will switch boobs.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#7 of 11 Old 05-17-2009, 10:39 PM

I nurse from the top and bottom breast at alternate feeds. I actually find the top one more comfortable. I'm sort of leaning in over him.
#8 of 11 Old 05-17-2009, 10:52 PM

we mostly nurse from the right side at night, occassionally (like maybe once a night if that) the left gets used. I don't get engorged or too full but I do nurse on that side first thing in the morning when we get up. I really didn't feel like that side made that much more but I had to pump while my LO was in the hosp for pneumonia a few times because he didn't want to eat and I would pump at least double out of that side!

SAHMhomeschool.gif: to LCjog.gif (6-08) GJsuperhero.gif (3-06) KDREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif (3-04) and a new little on one the way1sttri.gif: and :megan, henrie, and apple and wife to BD for 12years now!!
#9 of 11 Old 05-18-2009, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for the advice!

We tried it out last night, sort of. I nursed him to sleep from the left, up until I went to sleep as well, he slept from about 10 until 1am, I did that feeding from the right, then he woke up a couple of hours later and I again fed him from the right, but then he was up again shortly after (about 5am), so I switched to the left again. I didn't get engorged, but I didn't go very long before I switched (10-5). After the 5am feeding he was up at about 7am as usual.

Anyway, I'm going to keep trying it and see how it goes.

#10 of 11 Old 05-18-2009, 06:42 PM

Have you tried staying on the same side and nursing from one breast at one feed, then the other breast at the next feed? Do you normally use your bottom breast? It took a little practice, but I learned to do my top breast by propping myself up on my elbow and latching him on to the top one while he's kinda on his back, then laying down over top of him a little bit and his head tilts towards me.
#11 of 11 Old 05-19-2009, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

I have tried that, but I do find it a bit awkward for me. Also, when I nurse him with the bottom breast I can sort of lean away and feel safe falling to sleep while he's nursing. I haven't tried it since he was an a tiny newborn, maybe now that he's bigger it would work better.. I think I may try it tonight and see.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page