Ped said baby should be nursing at least three to four times a day - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 06-01-2009, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This just had me wondering if that's normal for ANYONE.

At my dd's 4-month visit, the ped asked if she nursed at least three to four times a day. And I said YEAH, WAY more than that. Like that isn't even in the ballpark. I honestly have no idea how many times, but 3 or 4 isn't even close! Does ANYONE's 4-month-old baby nurse that seldom? The ped said good that she's nursing so much but didn't answer the other question. So I'll ask here, does ANY baby that age nurse so seldom? Dd #1 was like 2 or something (as in YEARS, not months!) before she nursed that seldom.
#2 of 20 Old 06-01-2009, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My DS went down to 3-4 times a day at about 4 months. I wasn't feeding him solids and his night time nursing remained unchanged. It really freaked me out but he is enormous and his weight gain continued normally. Now at six months, he's been back up to nursing 6-7 times a day for the last week or so, plus small amounts of solids, plus 2-3 night nurses. I sense a growth spurt!

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
#3 of 20 Old 06-01-2009, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That doesn't make sense. That would be going 6-8 hours between feedings! My baby is six months and takes solids and still nurses every 2 hours, sometimes 3. I know that a baby needs 18-30 oz of breastmilk in a 24 hour period and I just don't see how that is possible with only three or four feedings. The only babies I know of who nurse only 3-4 times a day are over a year and eating solid foods as well.

Mom to DS(17) autismribbon.gif DS(15) autismribbon.gif DS(12) autismribbon.gif My gifted, quirky, wonderful teens!

Mama to Jack bouncy.gif11.08 and Liam  biggrinbounce.gif 9.11 and due with boy #6! stork-boy.gif  

Blissfully married to the love of my life since 8.8.8 partners.gif 

#4 of 20 Old 06-01-2009, 10:09 AM

If your babe was on a strict, every 3-4 hour feeding schedule and not being fed at night, they'd only nurse 3-4 times a day. I know people who do this. Usually they lose their supply too. But the babe takes in like.. 8 oz's per feeding. Most little tummies aren't meant to do that. But, they are following Babywise, and that's what it says to do. (Just want to clarify I was talking about the people that I personally know who did babywise and schedule-fed their babe's every 3 hours. Not saying babies who CHOOSE to eat every 3-4 hours are sad, just the ones who are made to do so.)

Quote:
JessieBird My DS went down to 3-4 times a day at about 4 months. I wasn't feeding him solids and his night time nursing remained unchanged. It really freaked me out but he is enormous and his weight gain continued normally. Now at six months, he's been back up to nursing 6-7 times a day for the last week or so, plus small amounts of solids, plus 2-3 night nurses. I sense a growth spurt!
Your DS was probably reverse-cycling, or just too busy to eat during the day. But he was eating at night, I think was the OP's ped was asking was 3-4 times a day TOTAL, as in, in a 24-hour period.

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#5 of 20 Old 06-01-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post
This just had me wondering if that's normal for ANYONE.

At my dd's 4-month visit, the ped asked if she nursed at least three to four times a day. And I said YEAH, WAY more than that. Like that isn't even in the ballpark. I honestly have no idea how many times, but 3 or 4 isn't even close! Does ANYONE's 4-month-old baby nurse that seldom? The ped said good that she's nursing so much but didn't answer the other question. So I'll ask here, does ANY baby that age nurse so seldom? Dd #1 was like 2 or something (as in YEARS, not months!) before she nursed that seldom.
yeah, i'm with you. DD is 2 and just recently SOMETIMES nurses only 4 times a day. of course today she's nursed 3 times already and it's 9:12 a.m.

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#6 of 20 Old 06-01-2009, 10:47 AM

I guess if you have a sleep-trained scheduled baby, then yes, they will eat 3 times a day every 4 hours. Very sad.
#7 of 20 Old 06-01-2009, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
What did the ped mean by 3-4 times a day? Did he mean in a 24 hour period or during the day time? My almost 6 month old is eating 3-4 main meals during the day. But she will snack in-between and eat during the night also. She is not on solids yet.

#8 of 20 Old 06-01-2009, 11:06 AM

3-4 times during a 12-hour daytime period (and then however many times overnight) doesn't seem that strange. That's 4 every 3-4 hours.

I think the doctor was making sure you *weren't* following Babywise, actually.
#9 of 20 Old 06-01-2009, 11:25 AM

My DD is 9 months and she eats 4 MAYBE 5 times in a day (From when she wakes up at 7 to 8 when she goes to sleep). Which works out to every 3 - 4 hours. She's been STTN since 2 months so she doesn't eat at night at all. She has been in the 95th percentile and over on the charts since she was 3 weeks old. So she's obviously gaining and maintaning weight execellently. She barely eats solids. Her eating habits have been like this since she was around 4 months. I don't have her on any type of schedule. She just eats when she wants to eat.

Teagan's entertainment center.: : Mike's forever and always.
#10 of 20 Old 06-01-2009, 02:19 PM

At 15 mos., DD is finally down to 4 times per day, most days! She nursed every 1.5 hours during the day until about 10-11 months...
#11 of 20 Old 06-01-2009, 02:36 PM
jmo

yeah more like 3-4 times an hour. My dd didn't nurse that seldom until at least 2 yrs also.

J, mama to H (8/05) and F (3/09)
#12 of 20 Old 06-01-2009, 04:37 PM

That sounds crazy. My 3 month old nurses ever 90 min- 2.5 hours!
#13 of 20 Old 06-01-2009, 04:40 PM

My kids nursed every 1-3 hours until they were over a year. I know there are some babies who are unscheduled/trained and are perfectly content to nurse every 3-4 hours. I never had one

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#14 of 20 Old 06-01-2009, 06:09 PM

Well I have never scheduled or trained my kids- and right now at 4 months- DS only nurses at most 6x/24 hours. I think he is doing just fine and will let me know if he needs more.

btw- not all babies who are content and don't need to nurse constantly are sad- that is quite a rude statement. some babies are just content. happy, growing, and full- they just eat a little more a little less often.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#15 of 20 Old 06-01-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post
btw- not all babies who are content and don't need to nurse constantly are sad- that is quite a rude statement. some babies are just content. happy, growing, and full- they just eat a little more a little less often.
I didn't mean that all babies who nurse less are sad, just the ones who are MADE to nurse less by their mamas.

And I guess because I have a 9 month old who nurses between 10-20 times a day, as well as eating solids, it is really hard for me to imagine a 4-month old only eating 3 times a day..

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#16 of 20 Old 06-01-2009, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Actually, she did specifically say "over a 24-hour period" rather than "in a day" so it was absolutely 24 hours. And six times a day is twice three times a day - think about your baby who eats six times a day eating only half that much, and before ever having any solids or anything. Wouldn't you be nervous? I mean this was at her 4 month visit, so we're talking about how she was eating before she turned 4 months even.
#17 of 20 Old 06-01-2009, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Actually, she did specifically say "over a 24-hour period" rather than "in a day" so it was absolutely 24 hours.
Okay then, yeah I can't imagine this. 3-4x in 24 hours would only be once every 6-8 hours. I eat more often than that *and* I drink throughout the day. Is she expecting the child to be drinking water or how does the baby stay hydrated?

#18 of 20 Old 06-01-2009, 10:18 PM

My three babies all nursed way more than that. When my last one weaned himself, he went from 3-4 times in a 24 hr period to not at all. That was just a few weeks ago! DD nursed 10 times a day until she was well over 2. At four months my kiddos nursed a lot. I don't think I bothered with bras because it was too much work to undo them to whip out the munchies...lol

Wife to my wonderful Pablo, mum to Roo 8/10/01, Vin 1/10/07, Bug 6/3/07, Butterbean 12/12/09
#19 of 20 Old 06-02-2009, 06:24 AM

I can't imagine only nursing that often. My DD is 4.5 months and she's just finally going 45 minutes between daytime nursing sessions- sometimes. If we are out running around and she's sufficiently distracted she might go 90 minutes. And 2 hours is as long as she goes at night anymore.

Carrie~ wife to Ryan, and finally mama to Emmery (1/15/09) via IVF after 3 1/2 years TTC!
Breast Feeding, Bed Sharing, Baby Wearing, Select/Delayed Vaxing, Attached Family
#20 of 20 Old 06-05-2009, 04:28 PM

My 11 month old still nurses a dozen times a day. My 2 year old was down to maybe 2-3 times a day, but I was nursing while pregnant and hardly producing.

Nutso!

Homebirthing, homeschooling AP, gardening maniac running a working farm. No circ, no vax, no cable TV. EC'd and CD'd, tandem BF'd.  Cheese and soap making goat and child herder.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page