i don't think he was ready to wean and now i'm worried about when the new baby comes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-08-2009, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my son is 26mths old. i weaned him at 19mths due to keeping my sanity! lol he always was fine with it. he didn't cry for it or make a big deal about it. but lately, he's been asking for it again. i know i just could start nursing him again, but honestly, it skeeves me out to think about nursing him now. he doesn't seem like a baby to me anymore. so i just can't start nursing him again.

but won't he be super jealous when the baby comes along and is nursing? i worry about his reaction to seeing the baby nurse and what can i do to minimize his anger/jealousy/disappointment?

D, wife to an awesome man, mommy to 2 awesome boys!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2009, 12:58 AM

Wow. My daughter is 25 months, and still nursing, so obviously I don't have first hand experience with this! But, as usual, that won't stop me from telling you what I think!
It's really okay to go with your instincts, to listen to your own discomfort. If you feel funny or creepy about nursing him, then I'd say, don't nurse him. Despite having someone attached to them for two years, my breasts are still my own, and I do plan to take possession of them again someday. Hooray to you for doing it, mama!
I also think it's okay to be gentle, but honest, with your child. Sometimes, kids are very sensitive and intuitive. If you tell him how you feel, very simply and with lots of love, he might understand.
I also think it's a really good time to get him prepared for you to nurse the new baby. One thing lots of preschoolers love, is to see film footage of baby animals nursing. And most kids do like the role of older sibling, especially when they are involved with baby's care.
Best of wishes to your family.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:29 PM

did you read the article "Unweaning Georgia" in the Jan/Feb. issue of Mothering?
Old 06-09-2009, 01:11 PM

I understand your concerns. My daughter weaned fairly smoothly at 25 months when my supply dropped during pregnancy. Though I very much missed having it as a reconnect/toddler-tantrum tool. So after Baby Sister was born two months ago I was fine, actually glad, that DD1 unweaned.

That said, we're having some interesting challenges in keeping it "mutually agreeable" and establishing boundaries that meet her needs and mine. I feel like that four month interruption caused us to lose what would have been a more natural progression in the nursing relationship.

No one can tell you what's right for your family.

Two books that have been recommended to me were LLL's "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" and "Mothering your Nursing Toddler". Adventures has a lot that applies to pregnancy, so Ii'd start sooner than later with that one.

User Tag List