Pumping into, freezing and feeding in glass bottles? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-08-2009, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cross-posted in Life with a Babe...

Hi all! I am planning on breastfeeding my newborn when he arrives, but I also pump occasionally and freeze the milk for when I might be out and Daddy or Grandma takes care of the kiddos.

I just bought Medela bottles, because it's what I used the last two times, but I'm thinking of returning them and going with the glass Evenflo bottles I hear so much about. But I'm wondering, aren't they awful heavy hanging off the pump? I'm afraid of the added weight.

And I have never frozen in glass, so I'm a bit scared of that. I can't just stick one in a mug of hot water to thaw out can I? How long does it take to thaw out a 4oz. bottle of breastmilk? Overnight in the fridge? Or do I leave it on the countertop?

Since I'm breastfeeding, and these nipples (on the Evenflo) are so narrow, I'd then have to pour it into a second glass bottle, like Born Free, correct? I wish I could just pump and store in a wide mouth glass bottle, and feed from there. But I haven't figured out a way yet. Too bad Avent doesn't make glass!

Help me figure this all out please!

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2009, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you pour BM into glass baby food jars to freeze? That would be a small enough amount that you can thaw them quickly and easily - I can imagine that it might take far too long to thaw a several-ounce bottle. Then, you could just pour into a regular wide-mouth bottle (Avent or Medela or whatever) that has the appropriate size nipple. That would preserve the benefits of freezing/warming in glass rather than plastic. Plus, glass bottles are expensive.

FWIW, I think Medela also makes glass bottles now... I vaguely remember seeing them at Target.

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
Old 06-09-2009, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an Ameda Purely Yours Electric Breast Pump and I use the Dr. Brown's 3.5 oz. glass bottles to pump into. Initially I thought they would be too heavy, but they're not bad once you get used to them; have also used the Evenflo glass bottles with similar results. I froze my milk in the Lansinoh breast milk storage bags (holds 6 oz. per bag, I think). I can't for the life of me remember how long they took to defrost, though because it's been so long since I froze milk. HTH!

User Tag List