? about breast pumps - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-14-2009, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was reading on the medela site about the "Medela Advanced Personal Double Pump" and it seems this was a limited production "personal" use pump so no "sharing"

the only pump I've ever tried to use really was the hand held Avent Isis so I know nothing about the medela electric pumps.

my ? is this - In reading I'm getting the idea that this pump can't be cleaned because the post mentioned "health risks with sharing". So can this pump be cleaned if it is sold?

I'm asking because I've found one for sale but want to make sure it can be cleaned properly to use for myself and my baby.

can anyone offer any advice? can this pump be cleaned?

thank you,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2009, 02:55 PM

medela makes this claim about all of their pumps. i believe it's about $ for them. i have used used pumps.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

thank you! I figured it was one of those "cover your tush" type things because it's just like CD'ing and mamacloth - they can be cleaned/sterlized.

I just was not sure if all pumps could be sterlized - I didn't know if maybe this particular model had some sort of parts inside that maybe couldn't be cleaned or something - I'm completely new to the electric pumps so wasn't sure.

does the milk flow through the pump in some way or does it stay only in the tubing?

and if it stays in the tubing I can just buy new tubing so not worried about it!
Old 06-14-2009, 03:23 PM

On the Pump-in-Style Advanced Personal Pumps, the milk does not flow through the tubing unless there's an overflow from the bottle. I don't believe that would happen very often.

You can buy the tubing separately, but it probably makes more sense to buy the parts that are actually in contact with the milk (bottles, etc.).

However, the problem with buying a used pump is not so much hygiene, but the possibility that the motor is worn out from frequent use. I just had to replace my used pump-in-style because its motor began to be inefficient and it took ages to pump even 1 oz. So, if you do buy a used one make sure that it is not too old and ask the original owner about use.

Working Mom to DS1 (05/09) and DS2 (08/11). 

Old 06-14-2009, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FischK View Post
On the Pump-in-Style Advanced Personal Pumps, the milk does not flow through the tubing unless there's an overflow from the bottle. I don't believe that would happen very often.

You can buy the tubing separately, but it probably makes more sense to buy the parts that are actually in contact with the milk (bottles, etc.).

However, the problem with buying a used pump is not so much hygiene, but the possibility that the motor is worn out from frequent use. I just had to replace my used pump-in-style because its motor began to be inefficient and it took ages to pump even 1 oz. So, if you do buy a used one make sure that it is not too old and ask the original owner about use.
thank you! is that pretty typical - I mean that the milk does not flow through the tubing? as I said I've never used an electric pump so have no idea what comes in contact with the milk and what doesn't.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:44 PM

The medela pumps are not a closed system, so there is a chance, albeit small, that milk can overflow into the tubing and get into the motor. I've tried the Medela Pump in Style as well as the Ameda Purely Yours, and I prefer the Ameda. It is a closed system--there is no way that milk is able to get into the motor with the way it is designed. I was also able to pump out much more milk with the Ameda versus the Medela.

Michelle , wife to Ray, mama to Anthony(12/20/05), Bryant(01/08), Carisma (08/21/10) , step ma to Amber(12/13/94), : :
Old 06-14-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FischK View Post

This.

I would be leary of a used pump for that reason.

You can have a pump tested at a lactation center - they will shove this gauge in the horn and tell you the PSI of the suction. I would only buy locally from someone willing to have it tested.

The risk with milk getting in the tubes is pretty small... a bigger concern is moisure/condensation (which may mean milk particles but not actually flowing milk) ... this can happen with Medela pumps, not Ameda. I bought an Ameda, hoping it would be easier to resell when I was done with it.

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
Old 06-14-2009, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

how would I go about finding a lactation center?
Old 06-15-2009, 12:44 AM

The place I had mine checked was in the hospital I had my son at - the breastfeeding services department where they rented and sold pumps and stuff. Most hospitals in California had them. I assumed most hospitals anyway had them but as I have not been pregnant or given birth in any other states, to be honest, I haven't checked. But look in the phone book under "lactation consultant" or perhaps breast pumps... or just call your local hospital, ask if they rent pumps... see if the pump rental place can help you...

nak DS S 4/1/11
Old 06-15-2009, 01:17 AM

I also have an Ameda and I like it a lot. It is a closed system so there is no way for milk to get into the motor housing. In an open system the milk doesn't get into the tubing unless there is an overflow, but you can get milk particles in the tubing, or simple condensation. If there is condensation in the tubing then there can be condensation in the motor and that can cause mold and such to grow.

It's just not worth the risk, IMHO.

My health insurance paid $100 for a breast pump, that helps a lot! Here is a good site that talks about how to chose a pump and compares them. http://www.breastpumpsdirect.com/

: Allen James 2/06 : Thomas Foster 12/08 :
Old 06-15-2009, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

thanks ladies!

runnerduck - we use a midwife and so no hospitals and our hospitals here are pretty hmmm well not top notch I guess is the polite way to put it. I do know a local LLL leader (or she used to be - don't know her well but do have contact info for her) I'll email her and see what I can find in the area!
Old 06-15-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abunchofus View Post
thanks ladies!

runnerduck - we use a midwife and so no hospitals and our hospitals here are pretty hmmm well not top notch I guess is the polite way to put it. I do know a local LLL leader (or she used to be - don't know her well but do have contact info for her) I'll email her and see what I can find in the area!
The hospital where I had my twins was like something straight out of the twilight zone - could not be any more breastfeeding unfriendly - but they still rented pumps and could check them.

Wish I had had my girls at the same place I had my son but... oh well.

LLL should be able to help you though. Still for the effort of all this and it being a used pump anyway... you might just want to buy a new Ameda. They are half the price of the Medela, new - if you don't get the fancy one with all the extras, which you really don't need...

nak DS S 4/1/11
Old 06-15-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
LLL should be able to help you though. Still for the effort of all this and it being a used pump anyway... you might just want to buy a new Ameda. They are half the price of the Medela, new - if you don't get the fancy one with all the extras, which you really don't need...
Also, the LLL sells a breast pump. It's the Ameda - just purple You can get it at Walmart for $160 I think. Just the nuts and bolts, no frills.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pod4One View Post
Also, the LLL sells a breast pump. It's the Ameda - just purple You can get it at Walmart for $160 I think. Just the nuts and bolts, no frills.
Yeah, it's a rebranded Lanshinoh (sp). Didn't know the LLL sold/endorsed this one though. It's $150ish. Might be cheaper to find a regular Ameda on line.

nak DS S 4/1/11
Old 06-15-2009, 12:36 PM

I don't know if you qualify for wic or not but that is how I got my nice ameda purely yours. That was the pump they gave away to moms.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

thanks ladies!

the ameda purely yours I'm finding FS range from around $40 to $80 so a good bit less than a new one - I think worth me trying to see if someone around here can test it.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerDuck View Post
Yeah, it's a rebranded Lanshinoh (sp). Didn't know the LLL sold/endorsed this one though. It's $150ish. Might be cheaper to find a regular Ameda on line.
You're right, it's a Lansinoh pump. Why I think Lansinoh = LLL is beyond me. I think they're related or work together or something. I dunno - pregnesia never really wore off.

User Tag List