WIC and Breastpumps - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-15-2009, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I heard that WIC lets you borrow a breastpump...has anyone done this, and if so, what kind did they lend you?

Mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09)
#2 of 9 Old 06-15-2009, 10:58 AM

My WIC does not offer this here, they couldn't care less sometimes about bfing. I don't even get the right package for an ebfing mom.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#3 of 9 Old 06-15-2009, 11:18 AM

Im in CA and my WIC lends out the Medela Lactina electric pump. Its loud but it does the job!

wife. dd1 : dd2
#4 of 9 Old 06-15-2009, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeach80 View Post
My WIC does not offer this here, they couldn't care less sometimes about bfing. I don't even get the right package for an ebfing mom.
Holy moly! I am shocked! That's terrible. At the WIC here there are breastfeeding posters on every wall, including women without any shirts on breastfeeding...very graphic and beautiful. They ask me several times at each appointment if I'm planning to breastfeed and think it's lovely I nursed my DD for so long.

I'm SO sorry to hear that your experience has not been similar

Mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09)
#5 of 9 Old 06-15-2009, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It depends on the state... the county... the office. You're really not going to get a definitive answer unless you call your local WIC office.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#6 of 9 Old 06-15-2009, 11:20 AM

I was able to borrow a lactina from wic then when I had to move and return it, they gave me an ameda purely yours which is an amazing pump! That was in Wisconsin now I am in Kentucky but I don't know if all wic programs offer the same pump or not.
#7 of 9 Old 06-15-2009, 11:32 AM

I also borrowed a Medela lactina from WIC. They let me keep it as long as I needed it! I just had to call and check-in once a month and state that I was still using it. It was really a God-send, because I could not have afforded to buy my own pump and would have had to wean DD without the WIC pump.

Oh, and I'm in NC.

Mom to retired nursling Lily (6/22/07) and wife to my wonderful DH since 3/19/05
Baby Aerick is here! Born at 40+6 on 5/16/10
#8 of 9 Old 06-05-2012, 10:42 AM

I borrowed one when I had my first baby.  They even let me take it when I moved provided I agreed to ship it back to them.  :)  

Sacha, mommy to Satori (1994), Landon (1996), Elizabeth (1999) Dillinger (2001) step-mama to Maleena (2003) and Larissa (2006) and expecting the unexpected February 2013!

#9 of 9 Old 06-06-2012, 09:50 AM

It depends on your location. I borrowed a Bailey Nurture II with DS2, then when DD was born they let me have to keep a Medela PIS - I just had to sign that I wouldn't accept formula from WIC for 6 months.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page