Pacifier for comfort sucking? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 06-17-2009, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My twins LOVED pacifiers, but I pumped for them for 11 months and it wasn't something that interfered with nursing since I was exclusively pumping.

Now my 1 month old is doing very well nursing and he seems to hate the pacifier. I was perfectly fine with not offering him one. However the last couple nights he has wanted to nurse for a long time and he got over full and then threw up. It didn't cause him discomfort and it seems as though he just drank too much. but then at his 1 month appointment I asked the pediatrician (who nursed her 3 children and was a member of a local LLL club) about it and she said it sounded like maybe he was having an urge to just suck and maybe he would enjoy a pacifier (and I've heard paci's also help against sids?). So tonight I tried again to see if he would take a paci and he still hates it. He gags and pushes it out and doesn't suck it. But then I tried putting him to breast and he latches on right away and just wants to suck to sleep - which doesn't bother me, but I have Over supply and strong let-down so then he gets a mouthful of milk and chokes cause he is sleeping and sucking for comfort. Any ideas? If a paci isn't a bad idea, is there a brand he would like more? I tried the nuk brand which isn't shaped like a breast nipple anyway and its silicone so it doesn't feel like my skin either.
I'm up for opinions/ideas either way.

Jill - 2.5 year old b/g twins and our new son (May 2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 06-17-2009, 02:14 AM

Try Soothies. They're the ones hospitals give, and Soothie bottles (which have the same nipples) are the only ones I could get any of my three girls to drink from.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#3 of 16 Old 06-17-2009, 09:16 AM

I have the same oversupply and forceful letdown issues. My DS took his first pacifier at 6 weeks and it never affected our BF relationship. He used a Soothie.
#4 of 16 Old 06-17-2009, 09:26 AM

I always kept the pacifier at bay for as long as possible but never lasted more than 3 weeks : I just go absolutely batty with tons of comfort sucking.

With dd we had to try a bunch of different ones. We finally ended up with these gerber ones...they are nothing special but they are just sort of straight and not shaped much. She actually still uses them at almost 2 yrs old (and we're still nursing too so obviously it didn't interfere).

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#5 of 16 Old 06-17-2009, 09:50 AM

We had to purchase 6 different pacifiers before we found which one DS liked...keep trying
#6 of 16 Old 06-17-2009, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I don't think a paci would interfere with nursing. He seems to love to nurse : and he has gotten pretty good at it this last week making it much easier to nurse him. On one hand I don't mind the paci on the other hand its a bit of a pain to return it to their mouth when they fall asleep at night and then wake up and can't find it. But then again its nice in the car, etc when he would want to comfort suck but I can't nurse him. Maybe I'll try the soothie cause he isn't having anything to do with the nuk brand.

#7 of 16 Old 06-17-2009, 10:58 AM

yeah but once they get to the age they can put it in themselves you can just leave a pile in their crib. That's what we always did with dd. She'd have one in her mouth, one in each hand, and then I'd sprinkle the pacis around here in her crib lol. Of course she still woke up all night long but it was never due to a missing paci at least.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#8 of 16 Old 06-17-2009, 01:41 PM

What shape pacifier are you using, orthodontic or natural?

We use a natural shaped paci with DS and he likes it well enough. They're the Gerber ones, now discontinued.

My MIL says DH only ever liked the Binky brand (also a natural shape), he didn't like the orthodontic ones as a baby.

Unitarian Universalist Pagan
#9 of 16 Old 06-17-2009, 02:28 PM

I use the Avent brand for my DD and she won't take anything else. She's pretty darn particular! My DD hated soothies for some reason. My DD still likes to comfort nurse when she's upset or sometimes at night.

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
#10 of 16 Old 06-17-2009, 06:29 PM

try a gerber one, they aren't the traditional kind, they are round and have a silicone nipple that is more closely shaped like mother's nipple. My lil guy likes that one, and the Naturasutten (German) natural rubber nuk.
#11 of 16 Old 06-17-2009, 08:45 PM

We gave our baby a pacifier at about 2 months and it's fine. Definately doesn't affect my supply or our nursing relationship.. we nurse all the time!
#12 of 16 Old 06-18-2009, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

He likes the soothie! I don't want to give it to him too much, but its here for when he needs it.

#13 of 16 Old 06-19-2009, 04:10 PM

I too like the soothie, but my little guy also refused it and still does most the time.
One way that I can get him to take it when hes in a long comfort sucking mood when I'm just too exhausted to hold him and let him suck for that long is to let him nurse then when hes in a light sleep pop him off and replace my boob with the soothie.
I call it the "bait and switch" it doesnt always work but often it does.
#14 of 16 Old 06-25-2009, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Never mind - he liked the soothie for about 1 day... no paci for this baby.

#15 of 16 Old 06-25-2009, 04:39 PM

Mine have all preferred the Mam pacis. Except for DD4. She gagged and basically acted like I was killing her when I would try a paci. But she sucked 2 fingers from the get-go and that was what she preferred. She still sucks those 2 fingers. My paci takers gave them up at three. <sigh> Oh well! LOL These babies know EXACTLY what they want.
#16 of 16 Old 06-27-2009, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJunkie View Post
Mine have all preferred the Mam pacis. Except for DD4. She gagged and basically acted like I was killing her when I would try a paci. But she sucked 2 fingers from the get-go and that was what she preferred. She still sucks those 2 fingers. My paci takers gave them up at three. <sigh> Oh well! LOL These babies know EXACTLY what they want.
Yeah he gags when I would offer it. I have given up on it. He seems just fine without it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page