Does anyone else have insuffient glandular tissue? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 137 Old 08-22-2004, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hang in there , im in the same boat and were still going strong at 7 months.
ive also gotten used to explaining to people about the SNS and why i do both, its never easy though. I also get so frustarated with friends, and friends of freinds etc who give up so easily or dont even try, when i wanted it so bad and couldnt.

My ds i think sees me as a big walking pacifier, as nothing setttles him as much as bf when he is upset, so it makes it all worthwhile. He is also at the age when he reaches for it or lunges at me for more, its a great feeling, and i console myself that i may not have much milk but ive been going longer than a lot of mammas last. i was fully bf, but even my mom quit at four months as i was a biter, so shes proud of me for going so long, which helps too.

hang in there, if you evern need support or a chat just pm me.
#62 of 137 Old 12-09-2004, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearmama
I know some babies go a few days without stooling, but with my history of low milk supply and underfeeding, this is really freaking me out. She pooped twice on Monday but she hasn't done any since. She has peed alot though. And her stools haven't turned yellow yet (the last poop was a yellow-brown).[...]Right now we are averaging maybe 4 oz. a day and she is 10 days old.

I hate to break it to you but this alarms me. A newborn who is still having meconium or transitional poops at 10 days old should be seen by someone. I am a natural birthing tandem nursing long-term nursing (my kids are 4.5 and 2 and nursing both of them) mom and I volunteer with a BF support group (not the LLL but a similar type of group) and have taken several seminars on BFing and this just screams to me that your baby isn't getting enough food. :-( I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you know, the first rule is "feed the baby"...she needs to eat. :-) If you are like me you may be wary of seeing a traditional Doc. who often push formula way TOO much but try and find someone, a LC or bf-friendly natural doc. who could see her, because while this may be that she needs more supplement, it could also be something like bowel troubles. I don't want to worry you too much (since I know we moms are good enough at that without undue stress!) but I just had to say this.

Hugs to you!

Fio
:
#63 of 137 Old 12-12-2004, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

I was so excited to see some activity on this thread! But I'm afraid that macbump has replied in the wrong place.
#64 of 137 Old 12-13-2004, 06:13 PM

Corriander-I followed your story with interest on this board and I was wondering how the nursing was going for you? I am due with #4 in march and I too suffer from the same problem. I will be ordering my goat's rue after Christmas and hoping it helps a bit!
#65 of 137 Old 01-10-2005, 07:18 PM

Hi,
I'm new and had found this while looking up insufficient milk on google.
I don't believe I have insufficient glandular tissue but I have a marginal milk supply and with my third baby continue to supplement. He is 5 weeks. It's nice to find other women who both breast and formula feed. Interestingly enough my first two I was able to get rid of the formula after about two weeks of supplementing early on but it meant feeding every hour sometimes. But my third continues on formula. He's a bigger baby born at eight pounds 14 oz. I use a bottle twice a day and breast feed the rest of the time. I'm trying not to increase the formula, and trying to nurse more if he is hungry. He was gaining 10 oz per week, but based on his last weight which was 2 1/2 weeks ago and his weight today. He has slowed down to just under an oz a day. I plan on weighing him next week and if he isn't gaining close to an oz a day I will up the formula.
It's hard to believe I still obsess about this with my 3rd child. I thought I would be a pro and be able to get rid of the bottle.
In my mind I don't even think formula is bad ,but in my heart I feel sad when formula seems to make him happier than when he just nursed.
I do think everyone should stop thinking of formula as evil and stop feeling so guilty. Just because something is natural does no mean it is easy. the best example of this is childbirth. Just because it is something women should be able to do does not mean that aid from medical science and technology are not necessary. Women used to die in childbirth in large numbers. I'm sure c sections have saved many lives. I feel the same way about formula. We live in 2005 ladies. There is no need for babies to go hungry or get dehydrated. I think if people feel less guilty and think less or breastfeeding as being all or nothing alot more women would actually be breastfeeding.
#66 of 137 Old 01-10-2005, 08:23 PM

Hi,
have you thought about using a supplementor? It would cut out those bottles and still be stimulating your breasts to produce.
Good to hear from you.
#67 of 137 Old 01-23-2005, 02:50 AM

I am so frustrated right now and also a little sad....and relieved! I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter and a 9 month old son and was prepared to nurse them both for at least the 1st year. I didn't find out until I was pregnant w/ my son that there was such thing as tuberous breasts and didn't find out until even later (when it dawned on me one morning) that maybe there was a conection between that and my nursing problems. I have tuberous breasts, did my best to nurse my 1st child and did w/ the help of supplemental formula bottles until she was 8 months old. Then, w/ my 2nd I thought I would be more prepared, more patient and better able to handle nursing but it was worse. I even talked ( the 1st time ) to my midwife, my doula, 2 lactation consultants and not one of them mentioned this was possible. In fact, I told my midwife that my breasts were very assymetrical ( didn't know to describe the tuberous part as I have always been told that ALL TYPES OF BREASTS can breastfeed) and she was very dissmisive, saying all breasts are that way. I'm so glad to have found this website and specifically this thread, even if I didn't find it in time to help w/ nursing. I quit nursing my 2nd at 4 months The poor baby didn't even care by then, there was just no looking back for him, all he knew is he wasn't hungry anymore.
I just had to get that off my chest, this is just all coming together for me today and I just felt a flood of emotions about it this morning for some reason. I think I finally realized that it sucks that I never had body image issues w/ my breasts 'cuz I knew they were for nursing and assumed I would be able to. Then when it came time to, I couldn't and it was because of my dang small deformed boobs.
#68 of 137 Old 01-23-2005, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipra
I am so frustrated right now and also a little sad....and relieved! I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter and a 9 month old son and was prepared to nurse them both for at least the 1st year. I didn't find out until I was pregnant w/ my son that there was such thing as tuberous breasts and didn't find out until even later (when it dawned on me one morning) that maybe there was a conection between that and my nursing problems. I have tuberous breasts, did my best to nurse my 1st child and did w/ the help of supplemental formula bottles until she was 8 months old. Then, w/ my 2nd I thought I would be more prepared, more patient and better able to handle nursing but it was worse. I even talked ( the 1st time ) to my midwife, my doula, 2 lactation consultants and not one of them mentioned this was possible. In fact, I told my midwife that my breasts were very assymetrical ( didn't know to describe the tuberous part as I have always been told that ALL TYPES OF BREASTS can breastfeed) and she was very dissmisive, saying all breasts are that way. I'm so glad to have found this website and specifically this thread, even if I didn't find it in time to help w/ nursing. I quit nursing my 2nd at 4 months The poor baby didn't even care by then, there was just no looking back for him, all he knew is he wasn't hungry anymore.
I just had to get that off my chest, this is just all coming together for me today and I just felt a flood of emotions about it this morning for some reason. I think I finally realized that it sucks that I never had body image issues w/ my breasts 'cuz I knew they were for nursing and assumed I would be able to. Then when it came time to, I couldn't and it was because of my dang small deformed boobs.
Oh Pipra that is awful. So much of what you said is exactly how I feel.

Perhaps you should check out the Yahoo group Every Drop Counts, started by one of the ladies here on MDC.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EveryDropCounts/
#69 of 137 Old 01-31-2005, 03:47 PM

I'm so happy to have found this thread! I have been nursing my 8 month old son along with supplementing formula since he was only a few days old. I never had a lot of breast change with my pregnancy, and have been the same size before, during, and after delivery. My son was screaming and starving with only breast milk. I've tried everything under the sun, including pumping, herbs, domperidone, reglan, food, water, rest, etc. Nothing has really made a difference. The most I have ever been able to pump was close to 3oz total, but typically 2oz is my max, and the majority of that is from one side. My son latched well and tried to nurse but easily became frustrated and pulled on my nipple and cried when he couldn't get any more out. We never tried the SNS as he easily switched from bottle to breast. I about gave up several times, and can't even fathom the amount of tears that were shed over my inability to feed my child. Fortunately I stuck it out. He now gets both formula & breast milk, will nurse and I pump occaisionally too as it's almost easier to pump & give him the milk in a bottle. He nurses exclusively overnight. I imagine I only produce around 10-12oz daily and that's it. I've always thought my breasts were small and strangely shaped and have desired implants in the past. DH doesn't really care one way or the other. While I'm not quite as extreme as the picture on this site http://www.007b.com/breast_size_breastfeeding.php , I do closely resemble the second picture from the bottom of the "normal" breasts.

I'm glad to have found others that have been through the same situation and feelings as myself. While I'm optomistic that next time around will be better, I'm still scared to death that I'll encounter the same problems. It's nice to know I'm not alone. I've wondered about the source of my low supply: was it the long labor, all the drugs in delivery, lack of nursing in the first couple of days, the fact that my milk didn't come in until day 5, did I not gain enough weight during pregnancy (only 18 lbs), do I not weigh enough (underweight at 105 lbs & 5'4"), blah, blah, blah. I also had my first baby at age 17 and did not attempt to BF, and was given a medicine to dry up my milk instead. I'm wondering what, if any of these situations may have been a factor? Sorry to be so long winded. I'm just happy to have found people that can relate to my saddness.
#70 of 137 Old 02-02-2005, 03:44 PM

I agree, this thread is very helpful & lets me know that I am not alone. I am not 100% sure that I have insuffient glandular tissue, but I have been doing everything else possible (lactation consutant, pumping, feeding on cue, SNS, fenugreek, brewers yeast, thyroid medicication, oatmeal, even heard soy protein and lechin were good to increase milk...) and still make about 18-20 oz a day for a 13 lb, 14 week old baby!

The thing that was so hard for me is that everyone kept telling me everything was probably just fine after the baby was born. He seemed to be having the right amount of wet and dirty diapers, even though he seemed kind of skinny, and was fussy a lot at the breast, until suddenly one day when my ds was a day shy of 7 weeks old, still at his birth weight and officially lableled 'failure to thrive'. now my doctor thinks I am at risk for PPD because I was so upset by the whole thing-- she says moms aren't usually so emotionally volitle at this stage in the game.

I have my days when I still am sad about not being able to make enough milk for my baby, and I also have the same shyness about bottle feeding my baby in public, esp around ebf's like in my postnatal yoga class.

As much as I too hate being dependent on formula , I just want to remind all you other women out there like me that of course its important that your baby is getting enough food, BUT the most important thing that you can give them is your LOVE-- and we all have enough to feed them more than their share of that.
#71 of 137 Old 02-26-2005, 04:36 PM

Does anyone know where on the internet I can get Domperidone? I've been taking it for several months now with a prescription and had success with it, but Iwonder if the internet is cheaper. By the way, I've gone from making about 12ounces to making about 18 ounces.
#72 of 137 Old 02-26-2005, 05:15 PM

you can order it from globaldrug.tv. I have mine compounded and can get full reimbursement from insurance so it's cheaper (not to mention faster) that way. I think it's like $40 for 300 10mg tabs, plus $10 shipping.
#73 of 137 Old 02-27-2005, 11:27 PM

I too have tubular breasts and have cried about it a lot. I always knew they were dfferent, but I thought they would grow into normal breasts when i got pregnant. It wasn't until I had my baby (by the way, what does "dd and ds" mean?) that the lactation nurse told me about my breasts and the difficulty I would have bfing. My daughter is now 6 months and I'm happy to say that I'm hanging in there still bfing (and of course supplementing). I used to make only 12 oz, but now I make 18oz in a day thanks to pumping and taking Domperidone. I think I'm going to try taking it 2 pills 4 times a day instead of 1 pill 4 times a day. Good news, my breast are still growing. I've never been more happy to see stretch marks. I'm fixing to try Goat's Rue. It supposedly increases glandular tissue. Real quick, has anyone's breast grown with each pregnancy, or produced more milk the second or third time?
#74 of 137 Old 02-28-2005, 04:16 PM

dd - dear daughter
ds - dear son

I only make ~12oz/day I think too. Domperidone helped some, but not that much. I may have waited too long as I didn't start it until around 4-5 months.
#75 of 137 Old 03-01-2005, 01:41 AM

Hi Tara,
I think I started taking domperidone at ~3mths postpartum. I had tried fenugreek before that, but not much happened except I smelled like maple syrup(a side affect)!
#76 of 137 Old 03-01-2005, 01:44 AM

Thanks for explainig what ds and dd stood for. (Tara) And for telling me about globaldrug.tv. Thats an awesome site!
#77 of 137 Old 03-22-2005, 11:46 PM

Im Hoping that corriander, scubamom and pearmama will see this note and know how much I appreciated you all sharing your story. I have insufficient glandular tissue and have experienced everything Pearmama(I believe it was)
Experienced, except I used the Lactaid instead of the SNS, and I have 4 childrennot five.

For years I have searched for information on this subject and was always very dissapointed that low milk supply due to insufficient glandular tissue just wasnt talked about or written about in any of the breastfeeding How To Books. When I ever got on line and searched and found this site and read your threads I laughed and cried and laughed and cried. It may sound Weird or maybe not. Nobody can even start to understand the hope, frustration and determination you experience when dealing with a genetic condition as this is in my case.

Pearmama I couldnt write anything more accurate than your descriptions ex. Hooked up (I would feel like a science project most of the time) using cold formula so you know the lactaid is flowing properly, to the tube being lined up correctly. You said it all.

I'm a mother of four. First born 1999 fourth 2004. I would have replied earlier but am very busy and Internet access was't convenient. Would love to share my story. I think the support thread is a great idea.

Will someone reply to this so I know I did this right.
#78 of 137 Old 03-23-2005, 12:31 AM

Hi Kay,
I have this condition as well. I just had baby #4 a few days ago. I am using Lactaid this time instead of SNS and I have to say it works so much better! I still feel like it takes FOREVER to drain it though. I know a bottle goes quicker, but do exclusively breastfed babies take that long? Right now I savor the moments, but I will have to get this house up and running again at some point!
I am taking fenugreek. I have some goat's rue, but it says to take it every other hour and I am waiting until I am a bit more settled in a routine. Anyone have experience with the goat's rue?
#79 of 137 Old 03-23-2005, 11:48 AM

Glad to see some activity here again. While DH and I are TTC #2, I'm wondering if anybody knows about any treatments for IGT. I had a very rough time with DD, mostly I think because I got blindsided with the BF difficulties (I so wish somebody would have warned me, or a book might have at least mentioned it.)

I'm still nursing DD once a day (just before bed) using the Lact-Aid, and she uses sippy cups the rest of the time. She never ever liked a bottle.

A couple of weeks ago, I went to my doctor to ask about what I could do for next time, and she was basically stymied. Any ideas on whether there are treatments? I have to begin cold-calling MD's that might have a clue (I have names of 2 local pediatricians that have a "special interest" in BF.) Any ideas on who to contact? My doctor also advised me to get counseling, because I am still so upset about not being able to BF. I was so set on it, didn't have a bottle in the house, gave away formula samples, etc.

And it appears that my grandmother might have had the same issue. My mother didn't BF us, but when my grandmom was trying to nurse my uncle, apparently he cried all the time, and the doctors told my grandmom that she didn't have enough milk and would have to use formula.

Anyway, I'm just glad to know that I'm not alone in my struggles, and I hope everyone who is affected by this knows the same thing. I think we rock, for our committment and dedication to do something that our bodies are not fully equipped to do.
#80 of 137 Old 03-23-2005, 03:23 PM

i am so glad that this thread is getting revived, i havent posted here for a while, as we stopped bf at 10 months, it was just too hard esp with me going back to work. But as we are ttc #2 i have been talking through the whole not enough milk issue with my DR, as dont want to have to go thru it all again if it can be fixed. But we have come up with nothing conclusive, even after numerous blood tests. We are also having tests as ds is 14 months and still no period (so hard ttc!!!!). The Dr reckons taking domperidone could have affected this (but been off it now 6 months). The tests are showing nothing, but polycystic ovarian syndrome has been mentioned in passing (i read somewhere that this can be linked to low supply, does anyone have anymore info on that?)

So to all you other mammas with low supply, but big up for us all for not quitting and sticking with it even when the going gets tough
#81 of 137 Old 03-23-2005, 10:02 PM

Hi It's Kay

Havn't tried goats rue, but have read in a chinese nutrition book that goats milk is the next best thing to mothers milk. Though never tried that either. sorry I tend to ramble. I used the lactaid for all four babies nd liked the softness of it. I rember squeezing the air out of the bag after filling and leaving a couple spaces of air just at the beginning of the hose so I could watch them to be sure the formula was moving properly. Also the coldness of the formula on your nipple lets you know it is flowing properly. Time would vary depending on if the baby was "on line". Sometimes the hose would slip off the side of my nipple therefor ending up on the side of the babes pallet. This would take longer. I think BF time varies with everyone.
#82 of 137 Old 03-23-2005, 10:45 PM

Hi larastheme
I started to reply and I think I may of lost it all when I visited the Lact Aid web site.
I was there looking to see if It listed the ceo of the co. It didn't. If you call the 800 number to say order supplies it's the lady who calls you back. I can't remember her name but she was very helpful and knowledgable, a wealth of information about people who have studied and researched this problem. (IGT) There is information out there Its just not at all easy to find. It's interesting about your grandmother. good to know for our daughters sake that it may be a inherited flaw. My mother breastfed, my grandmother also no problems. Though my father was adopted so theres an unknown on his side of the family. I have a Great-Aunt who looked like she had a similar build from pictures I saw but she never had children. I'm going to post very long story hoping it will help other mothers realize what exceptional people we are for this undying love and effort we are giving. We definately rock!
#83 of 137 Old 03-24-2005, 02:35 AM

I too have suffered with this with my first 2 babes. Had to supplement with DD from 6 weeks on (nursed 9most) & DS 3 days on (weaned 4 yrs). Back then, I had no idea what was going on. Went to a LLL Conference & met the Amazing Lisa Marasco and took her session, Insufficient Milk Syndrome, Myth or ??, titled something like that. Boy, I could have been her text book client.

Now I am pregnant with #3.(I am hoping that none of this comes back, but reality is it probably will so I am setting up my support system. I have 500oz frozen BM donated to me. I have 3 moms that will pump for me. I averaged about 8oz supplement in order to stimulate a good growth pattern.) Needless to say I have been in contact with Lisa. She did her master thesis in Lactation on this, btw. She is published in the Human Journal of Lactation. Anyway she believes I probably have PCOS. Some (not all! some pcos women have coupious milk supplys) women with PCOS suffer with this & do not even know (me!) Many women whom are dx, can get on a med called Metformin, which happens to stimulate breast growth. However I am not dx, so I can not get Metformin. I will begin Goats Rue soon, just need to order it. Goats Rue has Metformin properties & has been know to stimulate breast growth. (I am hoping for this!) I will also take More Milk Plus from time of delivery, and if necessary (which will probably be) get domperidone.

Someone stated that women with this tend to work harder to breastfeed. So TRUE! At least the really dedicated ones, like us! I worked so hard with my DS!!! More so than with DD. This one, I pray for milk to flow from my breasts. I hope the herbals work!!!! It is such an emotional thing for me. I am really REALLY glad I have access to human milk to supplement with this time. That helps on an emotional level. I hope we can keep this thread active, as I predict I will need continued support.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#84 of 137 Old 03-24-2005, 03:00 PM

I just read this entire thread and am so uplifted by all of your stories! It's so nice to feel that 1) I am far from being alone in this struggle, and 2) I'm not crazy for continuing to BF despite all these obstacles. I'd also like to invite everyone to join a Yahoo! group I'm a part of, Mothers Overcoming Breastfeeing Issues (MOBI):

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/mobi/

It's a great group for finding support (and NO judging for FFing or anything else!) and answers to any and all BFing questions.

I'm not totally sure of the reason for my low milk supply. I think it's mostly to do with how sick I was after delivery - I've never been so sick in my life (I had unexplained and sudden REALLY high blood pressure after the delivery, plus terrible pain from degenerating fibroids... I was actually delierious much of the time) and DD was in the NICU with anemia; we were effectively separated for a week. I barely pumped that whole time, and my milk just never came in. It was devastating, emotionally and physically.

However, my milk did eventually come in, but when it did (at 4 weeks) there wasn't much. Part of me thinks that I'm just perpetually 4 weeks behind in meeting DD's nutritional needs, but part of me thinks there's a larger problem. I'm currently taking domperidone, MM Plus, and goat's rue tincture. I've been trying to pump the recommended 6-8 times daily, but am lucky if I get in 5.

I don't have PCOS, but was on metformin for a strong familial insulin resistance - my endo actually put me on it as a preventative as no woman in my family has NOT had gestational diabetes! It did the trick - I had no sign of GD.

I actually went off met after delivery (sort of accidentally, I just kept forgetting : ) even tho my endo wanted me to keep taking it. I had no idea it could be helpful to milk supply - I'll start it up again since according to Hale's book it's safe. I also have a hormonal imbalance - I have large uterine fibroids that interfere with normal hormonal function, eating up estrogen and producing excess progesterone. In fact, I wasn't even supposed to be able to get pregnant with them, and they're most likely the reason why DD crashed at the end of my pregnancy - they wrestled away her blood supply. My LC actually thinks that it may be the fibroids that are impacting my milk supply the most. It seems like they are always doing something to make life hard. : I *could* have an operation to remove them, but I am sort of done with hospitals and operations for the moment.

There is a med to treat fibroids that will come out in 2005. It makes me sad, but if it's necessary to stop BFing DD at one year so I can take it, I probably will.

There are so many emotions that I go through on a daily basis, trying to BF. Each small victory and setback gets so magnified. I sometimes wonder why I am SO obsessed with it, if it's healthy. The worst guilt I have by far is when I fantasize about "next time" - as in, with my next child, I won't have these fibroids, I won't be sick, s/he won't be sick, we'll BF from the minute s/he's born, s/he'll lie on my tummy and I'll be the first person s/he sees, and we'll BF for years in perfect harmony... It's silly, and probably totally normal to want that "second chance" but it makes me feel terrible that I can't just accept and love what I do have with DD and not need to fantasize about something "better".

I really want to get to a place where our BFing just "is", where I don't feel any constant, obsessive, drive or struggle to make it "better". I pray every day that my milk supply will increase, but I also know that I need to find some acceptance of where it is right now, to find a way to love what we have and stop regretting that it's not the perfect fantasy I had before she was born.

Well thanks for reading! All I really intended to say was a quick hello to all you fellow low supply mamas - guess I had some thoughts that needed to get on out!

to all of you!
#85 of 137 Old 03-24-2005, 06:58 PM

Welcome Liz.

When you start back on the Met, can you post if you see any results??? Also be careful of mixing Goats Rue with Met, as they are closely related. I would work with your LC on it.

I too have had fibroids. My Doc wanted me to have a hysterectomy & I said NO WAY! UAE was not an option for me either. I went the Myomectomy route, for me that was best. Have you considered that? What med are you talking about? I wrote a research paper on fibroids about 1.5 years ago & I do not recall any meds for fibroids (Other than hormones.).I am very interested in this.

Good Luck. You are NOT alone. For me finding BF support was very valuable.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#86 of 137 Old 03-24-2005, 10:00 PM

Hi Cristina, Thanks for your reply! I'll definitely let you know how getting back on the met goes. Thanks for the tip about the Goat's Rue - I'll call my LC about it tomorrow.

I've definitely considered having the myomectomy - especially since the fibroids grew so much during my pregnancy, but I'm just not up for another major abdominal surgery at the moment! The drug that I'm talking about is asoprisnil - it's a "selective progesterone receptor modulator" much like one of the 2 drugs that make up RU486. It's currently in Phase III trials and should be released in early 2005. I'm very hopeful that it could be a good drug for me - espeically since UAE is only recommended for women who know they're finished having kiddos, and myo sounds pretty intense.

I'll let y'all know how the met goes! Thanks again for the welcome!
#87 of 137 Old 03-25-2005, 03:55 PM

If anyone can help me better understand how these posts , Quick replys, and threads work. Or if you could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. When I go to my thread it says i have three posts. I only see the one from kay mac. now when I send a quick reply does that get posted or does it get sent to the author of above thread? Thanks for your help if you can. I found the replys. I need to get more computer training.
I'm excited to be in contact with other mothers with the same challenges. For me The most important thing to keep in my mind while breast feeding, bottle feeding, supplementing and pumping was to enjoy this beautiful little baby, and if what you are doing to get the most out of your body is exausting you then stop it and just always bring to breast first before any supplementing system. After 2months of all of the above methods I was exhausted and did chuck the lact Aid Always fed breast first then Avent new born nipple ( a one hole nipple) to "top the baby off". I stopped trying to keep track of how many ounces of formula vs. breast milk she was getting. I'm talking about my fourth child.
She nursed the longest and sometimes nursing was all she would need. I think because sometimes its not the
quantity of milk but the closeness and suckling that they need. I guess at times I was more of a human pacifyer. I'm just going to share any bit of information
It may help someone else and it helps me to write about this shocking, challenging and rewarding part of my life.
#88 of 137 Old 04-07-2005, 07:53 PM

I've just been told by my lactation consultant that I have what she calls PCOS breasts. I've been making about 90% of what my 10 week old daughter needs, and she is hopeful that with agressive pumping, I may be able to increase to all she needs and simply supplement with my own pumped milk. So far her poops are improving and we're up to 10-12 wets a day with 2 days of pump and sns. No formula yet, but as long as I can still night nurse, that will be something. LC says DD may need a bottle of formula or two a day as she grows, but that she'll help me breastfeed as much as possible. Her weight gain has so far been on the very low end of normal, hydration always good, so I'm not so bad off. Just a note on formulas, Horizon Organic now makes one that is A) organic and B) not aggressively marketed. If we need it, that's what I'll use.
#89 of 137 Old 04-07-2005, 08:52 PM

Hi Michelle - good for you for working so hard to breastfeed your DD! I thought you might be interested in joining MOBI - Mothers Overcoming Breastfeeding Issues:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/mobi/

It's a great group of mamas, many working to overcome supply issues, like myself. I'm only at 50-60% of DD's needs but still hopeful that I can improve.

Are you taking metformin for PCOS? Many moms with PCOS find that Metformin is helpful to their supply. And how about fenugreek? At 90% of your DD's needs you would be a very good candidate for using herbals to put you over the top!

By the way, if you do end up needing formula, I would wait on Horizon until your DD is about 4-5 months old. It's recommended that infants only consume partially hydrolyzed milk proteins (like GoodStart) until their guts mature a little. It kills me to use Nestle anything but it's really the best for DD's tummy. We plan to switch to Horizon in a month or so, along with using donated breastmilk whenever possible.

and good luck!
#90 of 137 Old 04-08-2005, 06:04 PM

I've never been diagnosed by a Dr. with PCOS. I concieved accidentally (good accident) after 6 years of irregular periods and no birth control, followed a massive weight loss, then 4 months clockwork regular 29 days. The LC says my breast shape (and my own observations of how they function,) coupled with that history, leads her to think I have PCOS. After 3 days of aggressive pumping, she's gained almost 4 ounces, and has a higher color level. I'm pumping extra in the AM and feeding it to her in the evening when my supply is low.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page