Does anyone else have insuffient glandular tissue? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 137 Old 04-25-2005, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just read this entire thread and I am crying my eyes out.
I DO have PCOS and have had three children. Had difficulty BF with my first two (low milk supply) and my third child died hours after birth. I donated her breastmilk for 3 months.

I have taken all of the herbs and domperidone. NOTHING.

I am currently gearing up for ttc in about 3 months. Really wondering about the Metformin.

Thank you for starting this thread. More later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 137 Old 04-25-2005, 08:09 PM

I did not have your condition, but I did have surgery on one breast that greatly reduced my milk flow on that side. To top it off, I developed a rare immune reaction to my pregnancy at 7 months and had to be put on some nasty steroids and other meds that would not be compatible with nursing (natural remedies just wouldn't work and unfortunately, the medicines were the only real choice) After my son was born, they added the one drug to the mix that was really made nursing a no no and my doctors told me I had to stop breastfeeding. I had nursed him for six days and was, needless to say, devastated! I had nursed my first child 'til he was over 3 years old when he weaned naturally, so i was definitely committed to the nursing lifestyle and way of parenting.

I decided to pump and dump the medication tainted milk in order to maintain my milk supply. I bottle fed him during this time. The pumping schedule was really hard because I was still quite sick and I didn't really know how long I would have to do it (how long I would have to keep it up if I were going to wait for them to "let" me go off this medication) Finally, I felt better enough and not so dependant on this particular medication that i JUST FLUSHED THE REST OF THE MEDICINE DOWN THE TOILET! What a release that was!!!
And here's what I really wanted to tell you (sorry for the long preamble) I bought a medela supplemental nursing system that allowed me to feed Nicholas from my own breast even thought i did not yet have adequate milk supply (the pumping and dumping only helped maintain at least SOME flow of milk so i wouldn't completely dry up.) If you don't know, supplemental nursing sytem consists of a bottle that you wear around your neck that has a small tube coming from it that you can run down your own breast and nipple. The Baby nurses from your breast, stimulating your own milk supply, while receiving the supplement of milk from the tube. You can have the closeness and joy of the nursing relationship even if you aren't ever fully able to wean yourself and the baby from the supplement. The SNS helped me to basically relactate after I had almost dried up (i used milk enhancing herbs in conjunction with the SNS) After 6 weeks of pumping and dumping, I got to nurse Nicholas as if it was the first time!! It was such a joy. I then went on to nurse him from one breast for almost 4 years.

Point of story is that the SNS really helped me create more milk flow while enjoying the nursing relationship. I had two obstacles...one breast that did not really work due to surgery and the period of not being able to nurse and subsequently losing milk supply and needing to use herbs and the SNS to rebuild that relationship.

I don't know about your condition, but I just wanted to tell you this story to give you some encouragement. Ask your lactation consultant what she thinks about the SNS (La Leche can put you in touch with one as can your local hospital...try la leche league first, though) I still have mine and I'd be glad to offer it to you if you want to see if it helps.

Good luck.

Jenny

My email is jenrookle-215@yahoo.com
#93 of 137 Old 04-26-2005, 03:25 PM

WOW! There is an insuffient glandular tissue topic on MDC?! I am going to subscribe to this and slowly work my way through all the posts (being a non-native speaker I am kinda slow'& please forgive my spelling). Thanks for starting one!

I just wanted to say hi and to all you mommies struggling with this. When BF-ing both my babies we had huge problems, not in the actual feeding (they both were naturals!) but not gaining any weight at all in the first 2 months of DS'life. He lost over a pound and a half initially even though I clusterfed about 20 hours a day. Pumping the other 4. 3 LCs visited and were : because over here most LCs still believe having insuffient glandular tissue doesn't interfere with being able to BF properly. So DS was supplemented a little formula (no mm donation scheme over here yet then, it only started this week, YAY!) until he selfweened at about 6MO. I estimate I made about 75% of his intake.
Finally the 4th LC immediately saw the problem. By now I was BF-ing DD with the same problems. Made worse by the fact that DD would take the bottle or anything else but my breasts. So we SNS-ed until DD was 7½MO and she weened herself.
I am hoping to find some more info on the supplements you take to improve supply. I have tried fenugreek and domperidone with DD with hardly any result. Cashew nuts seem to improve my supply slightly but after 7 months I couldnt stand those anymore ;-)'Also hoping to find out why my DC ween themselves so early. They are pretty active kids so that might have something to do with things.
So what is this Metformin I keep reading about?

jackieg213, what an amazing gesture to donate your DDs milk. we are hoping to be TTC in about 3 months too.
#94 of 137 Old 04-27-2005, 03:34 AM

Welcome Yvon! Very happy to see you here.
Thank you for sharing about your struggles. It helps to not feel alone.
I am really hoping that the INTENSE chinese medicine and scupuncture I am doing will make a difference when it comes to BF my next baby.
I got to tell ya, there aren't many things that feel as hopeless as not being able to feed your baby entirely. It so breaks my heart.

Yvon, I see you are a knitter....what are you currently working on? I just finished, today, a beautiful purse that I knit with wool, felted it....this wool didn't felt so well....however it is still lovely.

I am hoping to broaden my knitting horizons... :LOL

Hope to see you soon.
#95 of 137 Old 04-27-2005, 07:22 PM

WOw, I just finished reading the entire thread and I am in tears over a;; the stories.
Jackie, you're right. It DOES help to know you're not alone even though everyone you know tells you you are. And it does break your heart when youre not able to be the supermom you want to be.

I always felt I was in between the huge part of moms who try but give up at the first sign of a possible problem and the all-natural-few that do not seem to have any problems at all. The first group looks at you funny because you keep on trying and starve your child, the last group keeps insisting that you must be doing something wrong or arent trying hard enough.
So, tell me more about Chinese medicin and what you are going to try specifically. WE have a famous chinese doctor quite near that I might want to visit when I am more informed.

knitting: Just finished some toe-up-socks for DS that have been my on-the-go WIP for the longest time, he only just fits them now. And a fairy cardigan/dress for DD. My other WIPS are 4 pairs of long pants, 1 skoaker (skirt-soaker) and 2 soakers. They're all knit but waiting to be embellished. I am an embellishment freak in the CD world. As you can see here.
I love felting my knits too! Especially bags and hats and stuff. At the moment I am widening my base a little, learning to spin my own yarn and starting to weave. I love fibre arts!
#96 of 137 Old 05-17-2005, 03:33 AM

I just got 500oz of breast milk! I am so happy! I really needed that reasurance, just in case my past problems reappear.

Now this baby can seriously come at any time. I am ready!!!!!!

just thought I would share!

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#97 of 137 Old 05-17-2005, 10:29 PM

Can I join this thread? I don't have IGT but I have read every post in this thread and can relate to so much of what you are saying . . .in my case, my DD has a sucking problem so she just doesn't get most of the milk that's there.

Anyway, I can relate to feeling embarrassed by carrying around bottles (though we use a Haberman feeder to improve her suck). I also nurse her and bottlefeed her, which I'm sure looks weird. It makes me sad to see how satisfied she is after a bottlefeed and fussy after nursing. I spend so much time feeding her (nursing, bottlefeeding, pumping) that I have very little time/energy to really enjoy my DDs. I have had to use formula on occasion because sometimes the pumping schedule gets too complicated (and I have to be very careful about maintaining my supply-- it's adequate but not overabundant by any means). I don't have super-bad feelings toward formula anymore now that I am thankful for its existence . . .well, I do, but only in the sense that it reminds me how I feel I've failed.

I wake up every day thinking "Maybe today the problem will have fixed itself!" I have periods where I feel OK, but then when my milk supply in the fridge gets low (and I don't have a bigstash!) I start worrying that maybe my pumping won't keep up with DD, or that there is realistically a point where I simply won't be able to find the time to pump exclusively, so DD will be mostly FF.

I feel so lonely. Like you mamas mentioned, it's like limbo . . .where do I fit in? Not with exclusive BF (I'd feel I have to justify what I do) and not with FF who did it by choice. Very few people can truly understand. Sometimes I wonder why it's such a big deal, but then I realize that eating is one of the major activities of infants, so OF COURSE it's a big deal.

Once in awhile I think I should just FF and be done with it. But then I find some new hope, even though it is frustrating to be disappointed again and again. I don't think it's healthy to be obsessed either. I think I will regret it and wonder why I didn't enjoy each precious moment instead of dedicating so much effort to this. It's a balance that I don't yet know how to achieve.

I exclusively BF my 1st DD, so I find that I am adjusting (poorly) to how I parent with bottlefeeding being so important.

Thanks for letting me share.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#98 of 137 Old 05-23-2005, 03:47 AM

Hi. I also have tubular breast. This problem has really made me depressed. I can't get over the fact that I will most likely never exclusivly bf my children. My son is 6mo. and we still nurse when ever he wants to. I can't stand the fact that nobody really talks or knows anything about this (Except all of you). It makes me feel so horrible. I tried the drugs and herbs and nothing works! The most I've ever pumped was 2ounces! I went to the LLL web and they didn't even mention it. Shouldn't they explaine these problems? I am just so bitter about this whole thing. I hope I can bf exclusivly my next child, but then I will feel guilty b/c I wasn't able to do so with my first.
#99 of 137 Old 05-23-2005, 03:16 PM

ejones,

I feel your pain. the most I have ever pumped is 2-3 oz at once, and I still feel like a failure as I was not able to EBF my child. I'm hoping next time will go better. I'm trying to figure out all possible ways to improve next time. I felt so bitter and jealous talking to a friend of mine this weekend. She has been nursing her 4 week old with no problems, has plenty of milk, and her breasts are the smaller than mine (A before baby, B after). I felt so awful for wanting her to have problems too. I cried after I left her house, feeling terrible and like a failure because I couldn't EBF my baby and had to use bottles and formula. I know DS is fine and healthy and doesn't know any different, it just hurts, KWIM?
#100 of 137 Old 05-23-2005, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejones
I tried the drugs and herbs and nothing works! The most I've ever pumped was 2ounces!
Me too, honey...me too!!!!
I feel like such a failure around bf'ing....and my youngest is 4.
I did nurse my children until they were 2....although I was never able to EBF.

If only....
#101 of 137 Old 05-24-2005, 02:06 AM

Hi Tara and Jackie. Thanks for your input. It's good to know that I'm not alone. Tara, I also feel jealousy towards bf moms. I think it's normal for us. Don't you girls wish that this problem was talked about more often? All the women that I know had no idea that this even existed. It was so frustrating having to explain and even show my weird boobs! Let's all keep strong and keep nursing our little precious ones. It's a wonderful bond for both.

Question?
We might be pregnant again. I plan to continue to nurse my 61/2 mo. old until the obgyn says I should stop. Have any of you nursed your children while pregnant? If so how long did you to it for?

Thank you and good night.
#102 of 137 Old 05-24-2005, 05:14 AM

Oh girls, I recognise all this. The jealousy, the hoping that next time its gonna be ok, even hoping you will have enough milk by some miracle the next day, the lack of energy to do anything but BF.
But maybe we should try to see the more positive side of things. Breastfeeding is more than milk alone. We're all examples of that. And we give our kids all we can. Even if we need a little help from a cow or another mom.

Ejones, I was still nursing DS when I miscarried and then became pregnant with DD. Unfortunately it was round the time DS gave up on BF so my milksupply decreased quickly. I am not sure which came first. He nursed for about 2 and a half months into the pregnancy
#103 of 137 Old 05-24-2005, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejones

Question?
We might be pregnant again. I plan to continue to nurse my 61/2 mo. old until the obgyn says I should stop. Have any of you nursed your children while pregnant? If so how long did you to it for?
ejones, unless you have a history of preterm labor and nursing triggers strong contractions, there's no reason to quit nursing while pregnant. Your ob/gyn may or may not know about the safety of nursing during pregnancy - keep in mind that ob/gyns don't study breastfeeding for more than a couple of hours during med school, so what they "know" is often what they've heard - i.e. myths.

Unless you are put on complete pelvic rest (i.e. no sex) it is safe to nurse throughout pregnancy. Orgasm triggers much stronger contractions than nursing does (for me, O would trigger VERY strong uterine clamping-down, while nursing did nothing to trigger anything. The clamping-down wasn't problematic in any way except comfort, it's just because the uterus is more toned the second time around. Makes for worse afterpains too. )

For more information, check out the wonderful book by Hilary Flower, Adventures in Tandem Nursing as well as the Kellymom site, link here.

Now, this is a separate issue from your supply decreasing during pregnancy. It happened to me and my son nursed through my pregnancy although I put limits on it because of the comfort issue. That's a separate issue you need to decide for yourself based on your needs and your baby's.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#104 of 137 Old 05-24-2005, 09:30 PM

No real consolation, but my county has a program to promote exclusive breastfeeding, and their performance is rated by the percentage of EBF babies in the program. They had a special meeting with their funding task force on my case, and it was determined that I count on the EBF side of the equation because my daughter is breastfed to the limits of my body's ability. (It's a great program... I get free unlimited access to an IBCLC, weekly weight checks if I want them, 24 hour hotline support and will get a free hospital grade breast pump loan when they get them in. Paid for with tobacco tax money and available to any county resident, not just low income.)

BTW, I started Motherlove's More Milk Special Blend, and it really seems to be helping. My breast size has increased, I am pumping more, and wet, poops and weight gain are good with a bit less formula.
#105 of 137 Old 05-26-2005, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip
BTW, I started Motherlove's More Milk Special Blend, and it really seems to be helping. My breast size has increased, I am pumping more, and wet, poops and weight gain are good with a bit less formula.
Michelle, do you know of a place online that ships international that has this special blend? I definately will wanna try this with our next baby.

And just for you ladies, this o so true quote:
"Women should not feel guilty if they are unable to breastfeed, but they
*should* feel guilty if they are unwilling to do so, and they should be
intellectually honest enough to know the difference." -Elizabeth Gene
#106 of 137 Old 05-26-2005, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormintheattic
"Women should not feel guilty if they are unable to breastfeed, but they
*should* feel guilty if they are unwilling to do so, and they should be
intellectually honest enough to know the difference." -Elizabeth Gene

Oh so true.....I LOVE IT!!!!

#107 of 137 Old 05-26-2005, 03:24 PM

Michelle that's great that your county has a support group for exclusive bf. I will totally look into it. Do they have a web-site?

That Quote is so true. But I will always wish I had enough milk for my son.

I also want information on that special blend.

Stormintheattic, I'm sorry for your loss. I really do try to look at the positive side of all of this. I have to or else I will fall apart. It has just been a slow process for me. I do give my self some credit for everything I give to my son.
#108 of 137 Old 12-28-2005, 03:24 PM

Hi all, I just started researching this issue. I gave birth to my third son last Monday and was hopeful that bfing would be more successful with him than my other two. I was thrilled when he immediately had a good strong latch and dreamed that this time maybe it would work. By day four it was clear that I was doomed to be letdown again as his wet diapers were scarce, still showing urine crystals and my breasts still hadn't changed size even though my milk had "come in".
I read in Huggins Mothers Nursing Companion about hypoplastic breasts (never noticed that entry when I was struggling for four months with my last son - tried *everything*, fenugreek, SNS, twice weekly visits with the IBCLC for the first two months and finally "gave in" and started giving him bottles of formula). They do sound like what might be my case; however the picture posted at the start of this thread is much more extreme than my situation. This link http://www.leron-line.com/IGT.htm however shows several different sets of breasts with differing levels of lacking tissue and the one marked #2 looks almost exactly like me when I'm on the engorged side of things...so I'm starting to believe that I may truly be one of those 2-5% that just can't produce enough breastmilk.
At this point I'm struggling to figure out how much formula I should be supplementing with and still keeping up as much bfing as possible. I feel that every drop of bm is valuable to the babies health but I refuse to allow him to be classified as FTT as my last son was. It's great to find a group of like-minded ladies who value bfing as much as I do and understand what it means to really try but still not be able to bf.
Noone around me understands how heartbreaking this experience is for me - fortunately this time I'm really just trying to focus on making sure that the baby gets what *he* needs and keep reminding myself that this isn't about *me* being a failure as a mother, etc...
I hope that link will help someone else who is trying to dx themselves.
Aylene
Mom to Simon, Matthew and Jamie
#109 of 137 Old 12-28-2005, 09:16 PM

Thank you for the link, its very informative. I am also sorry to hear you are having to deal with all of it again
I am 7 months pg right now and dreading going thru this again, as i know i will as still have no breast changes.
what i always found the hardest is just that people dont understand, and it takes way to much explaing why i Bf then pull out a bottle (i didnt like using sns when NIP) I also get peeved when people use low milk supply (when clinically its not) as a reason to quit, as its so not the same as we go thru.
sorry for venting but its startimg to dawn on me that i have this battle to face again.

But i also truly believe that every drop of BM is worth its weight in gold, and i would never give up on the closeness i felt with my son while nursing, milk or no milk.

I am just praying that this little guy has a great strong latch like his brother did.
#110 of 137 Old 01-02-2006, 06:46 AM

Aylene, great link, very helpfull, thank you! Type 2 looks just about right for me too.
Just wanted to add that you are doing a great job! IMO you're right, you are giving Jamie every single drop you can. And he's benifiting from every feeding.
#111 of 137 Old 02-04-2006, 01:52 AM

Hi girls! Hope everyone is doing well. I just stopped nursing my 15mo old son and I'm 31/2 months pregnant with our second child! I have noticed that my breast feel a little sensitive and lumpy since I've stopped nursing. They have also slowly increased in size, but not much. They are still so tubular with, of course, NO CLEAVAGE! I am planning to nurse our 2nd as long as I did w/ my 1st or longer. I'll let you girls know if this time I will be able to produce more milk. Cross your fingers. I now know what challenge I have ahead of me when it comes to nursing. I can't wait to tell all those LC that didn't know a thing about my condition. They were sooo clueless, they pissed me off! They just made assumptions that were not true. I can't stand bottles, but I've learned to make peace w/ them. Doing both has worked best for us. So we'll see what happens.

I'll keep you posted.
#112 of 137 Old 05-05-2006, 07:11 PM

I thought it was just me. My breasts are also shaped like those on that website. I've struggle with breastfeeding using sns since he was 4 days old. Which I didn't mind using except for the fact that I wished he was only getting my milk. I had to return to work full time at 3 months so my son has unfortunately gotten use to the bottle and will not latch any longer. Which has been devastating for me. I still continue to pump at work and hand express at home and I probably get a measly 3 ounces out a day. At one point I was able to get out 2 ounces a feed and I was so excited. This whole experience with not being able to supply enough milk for my son has been devastating, but I still would not trade those precious moments we had together when my son was half asleep and bf. He looked so beautiful there. I'm having a hard time even giving up pumping at work... even though he's not latching on any more. I still try every once in awhile to bf to see if he'll latch... no luck for 7 days. I keep hoping he'll start enjoying bf again and I don't want to give up the little supply I have. Any thoughts or support? My son is now 6 months old by the way and I also used every herb, drug, and constant pumping to build supply with no prevail. I'm sorry to hear other women had to go through what I have, but it's good to hear I'm not the only one.
#113 of 137 Old 05-06-2006, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

I started this thread so long ago I can't remember! So I'm glad that it is still providing support to those of us who can't find help even from LCs.

About your son not latching on, keep offering! If you can still pump, do that for as long as it works for you also. It's such a gift, that breastmilk. My first child, who only bf for 6 months because of all the difficulties, latched on again when she was 2 years old! It was a little strange. I had just had my second child, I was lactating again. She knew that the baby was breastfeeding and she asked me if she could too.

But when you have had enough and the frustrations are outweighing the benefits and it is negatively impacting your relationship with your child, then give yourself permission to give it up. Considering the uphill battle that women like us face, I figure a month of our bf is equivilent to 3 for those women who find it so effortless! like dog years.

Good luck! You're doing great!
#114 of 137 Old 05-08-2006, 11:28 AM

Corriander,
I had supply issues as a full time working mom but nothing as severe as this so I would feel presumptuous making a suggestion. I will pose a question to you as a BTDT Mom.

Would you recommend co-sleeping and nursing on demand overnight and during the early hours when prolactin supplies are highest?

Just a thought.

Thanks for the inspiring thread. It makes me realize how lucky I am, despite the issues I have faced.
~Cath
#115 of 137 Old 05-08-2006, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Definately bf at night and co-sleep if that works for you. I have known women you have had hardly any supply during the day, but have had their babies latched on and feeding all night. That works if you can get some sleep at the same time.

Some babies who when they are awake and hungry do not have the patience to stay latched on if you take a long time to let down or don't have much supply. But they will stay latched on and nursing while they are sleeping or napping.
#116 of 137 Old 06-18-2006, 04:10 AM

I am sceduled for a c-sec on the 31st of July. I am still planning on a vbac. I'll have to wait and see if I go into labor. We are having a girl! I'm sad to say though, that my boobs, again have not enlarged at all during my pregnancy!!! I will just wait and see after I give birth of any changes that do occur. I will still keep you all posted. I don't have high hopes, but at least I know what I'm looking forward to.

Peace out ladies!
#117 of 137 Old 06-09-2007, 08:40 AM

My lactation consultant confirmed that I have IGT. We have estimated that I'm probably making 70-75% of his needs with the effects of fenugreek (which aren't reliable because I build up a tolerance to it and have to stop and start it again for the effect.) My son has been gaining all along but is at the very low end of normal. He has been trending downward on the growth charts. He is at the 5th percentile now at 10 weeks - down from 46th percentile at birth.

This has been the most difficult thing I've ever dealt with. I wanted so much for our breastfeeding relationship to be a beautiful thing - and it is, but it has also been rife with frustration for both of us. I find myself crying a lot - I feel so bad when he gets frustrated and I can't give him what he needs. I also get angry when I think of all the women I know who chose not to breastfeed for convenience!

I think one of the most difficult aspects of dealing with this was the ups and downs I experienced trying to figure out if something was wrong. I was all over the board - thinking he was just a slow gainer to thinking I had a supply issue. I even once thought when he didn't nurse long he was getting more efficient at removing milk when what actually was happening was that the flow stopped. My son has been such a good baby through all this. Many times, he would just eat what I had and then sleep, wake up a little bit later, eat what I had then sleep again. This cycle continued until recently when he started to get more hungry and started to express frustration at slow let-down and small quantity. It truly has taken me 10 weeks to put it all together and to find a LC who could confirm what was happening and help me. I wish that my midwives would have told me what the size and shape of my breasts could mean and what I might be dealing with. I know that MOST women should have no trouble breastfeeding if they manage it right but I know now that I'm one of the ones who physically CAN'T. I've been reassured by several care givers (because my son was gaining, albeit slowly) that my son was doing ok, despite his thin frame, the repeated uric acid in his diapers (which even made us think he might have a metabolic disorder) and his infrequent stooling (longest stretch was 12 days!) All of these things can be normal but all together they should be viewed as suspicious especially when the mother thinks there is a problem and has breasts that are classic IGT. There were several opportunities for early intervention and help but I had to figure it out for myself and trust my gut instinct that he wasn't getting enough and locate a LC who could help me. When I saw her and she looked at the test weighs I had done with feeds she told me that I had beat all records of nursing frequency. There were 27 weighs in a 24 hour period. For 10 weeks I've nursed around the clock to try to build my supply and transfer small amounts of milk to my son. The funny thing is that I never thought this was a problem. I thought babies needed to be nursed this often.

I always wondered why my breasts looked so funny but when I saw the pictures of women with IGT I finally knew what was wrong with them. On top of the IGT, I had a small benign fibrocystic lump removed from my (bigger) right breast and the incision was made right around the areola which is the worst place to have surgery when it comes to severing milk ducts.

I'm going to try Domperidone and keep up the insane nursing schedule - and if that doesn't work, look at trying to get some donated breast milk. I'm worried about taking this drug but I don't like my other alternatives (I refuse to take Reglan. Even though he has been exposed to formulas, I don't want to use them.) I was wondering though - has anyone else with IGT had any luck with Domperidone?

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#118 of 137 Old 06-09-2007, 10:12 AM

Oh, many to you for doing such a great job!

I don't have IGT, but I did have luck with domperidone in increasing my supply. It is very safe, and in fact is approved by the AAP for use in nursing mothers. Here are Dr. Jack Newman's handouts on it. You may want to try emailing him -- I will try to round up his email address for you, I know he is very approachable and helpful.

http://www.kellymom.com/newman/19a-domperidone1.html

http://www.kellymom.com/newman/19b-domperidone2.html

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...actagogue.html

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...#Galactagogues (domperidone is L1, the safest category for lactation)

Goat's rue is an herb that is thought to be very helpful in increasing glandular tissue -- you can get goat's rue in tincture form at www.motherlove.com (Motherlove Herbals). You would need to try it for at least a month.

Have you seen the link here with more info on hypoplastic breasts?

http://www.007b.com/breast_size_breastfeeding.php

Have you talked to your doctor about trying to determine whether YOU have a metabolic disorder associated with IGT, such as PCOS? If you have PCOS, you can go on metformin (Glucophage), and that may help with your milk supply issues.

Hang in there.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#119 of 137 Old 06-14-2007, 11:45 PM

wow! i have searched for months and just happened upon this thread.

anyone tried natural progesterone cream?

goat's rue?

i am pregnant with #3 and wanting to get everything lined up now.

i have the same story as pp. i have tried to get answers the last 5 years about why i can not bf. i have shown everyone my boobs that will look, and i just now discovered what is going on.

thanks for sharing your stories - they really make a difference.

thanks!
sarah
#120 of 137 Old 08-16-2007, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahandlily View Post

anyone tried natural progesterone cream?

I am wondering the same thing, I read an article online that said it worked for one mom.

I am still bfing ds, eventhough have never been able to fully supply his needs.

Around 9 months I realized that he had a lip-tie, which may have been the reason he could never have a great latch, but at that point it was too difficult to fix the problem. Needless to say, he has a gap inbetween his two upper front teeth, so I suppose he will have to get braces some day, or we will have to get it clipped later.

Above all, I know I still have IGT, but I am hoping that the next future lo will not have the lip tie and if he/she does, we will get it clipped from the beginning, and I know that will improve my production, next time I am not hoping for a miracle full supply, but I am certain with more info and experience I will be able to produce more, and deal with the obstacles better than with ds.

BTW-Keep up the good work! We are all troopers in this, but it is worth it.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page