Mothering Forum banner

Need advice- student teaching and 10 month old

443 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Honey693 
#1 ·
So in august my son will be 9.5 months old and I will be doing my student teaching. I am debating trying to pump for him, giving formula, or regular milk.

I am really against both formula or regular milk, but I am not really going to have time/privacy to pump for him. Since I am not an employee i don't really have a lot of options.

I think i could probably pump at least at lunch, but the pump I have from WIC sucks, well it doesn't suck that is the problem.

Right now he is eating solids pretty well.

Basically I need some support that I can actually pump enough for him in a limited amount of time.

How much do you all think he will need in a day if he is eating solids as well.

Previously when he was being watched by a friend for a few hours at a time, he would only eat enough to tide him over until i returned.

#2 ·
I am a teacher, and only pumped once a day at school (at lunch) with both my dd's. My first dd never had any formula, and judging from my freezer supply, neither will my second.

I will say though that the older both my girls got, the less I was able to pump. You might not get enough out of one pumping session to feed him for the entire time you are gone. But if you pump in the morning before you leave that will help.

I always did this- pumped right after feeding in the morning before we left, that was bottle #1. Then I pumped at lunch, and saved that for bottle #2. Both girls only took 2 bottles a day, so that was plenty. If I ever needed more, I just took it from my freezer supply that I built by pumping on breaks, weekends, and my maternity leave.

Hopefully since he's a bit older and on solids, he won't drink as much while you're gone. Just save the solid feedings for during the day whey you're away from him, and make sure you nurse right before/after you leave. You'll have to play it by ear to figure out how much you will need to leave with him, all babies are different.

I think you can do it. Talk to the teacher you are student teaching with, and hopefully he/she will help you find a time and place to pump. If not, talk to your building principal or university director. I'm sure you have rights here, though they might not be the same as a teacher's.

Good luck, and ask if you have more questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.