Totally Confused..... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey there. I am new here and a first time mom with a couple of questions..

1) My sweet baby is 4.5months old. She eats every 3 hours and wakes once or twice at night to eat. Several people (especially Mother-in-law) keep asking about her going to 4 hour feedings. They have been mentioning this since about 2 months. I have read several books and they all say different things. Baby girl seems very efficient in eating because she can fill up in about 10 minutes. I have been letting her guide me as to going onto four hours, but it really doesn't seem to be heading that way. She will wake up at exactly 3 hours for a feeding (pretty impressive actually!)

Do all babies go to 4 hours? If so, about when does this happen?

I know mother-in-law is just excited, but she doesn't seem to believe me when I say 3 hours is just fine right now........

2) This leads me to a sleeping question. For some reason, the later I put her to bed the longer she sleeps. Anyone else understand this? Mother-in-law also does not approve of this either, but sometimes it is easier for me to go to bed later and sleep longer than go to bed early to wake up repeatedly in the wee hours. I am in the process of changing her nightly schedule, but I am just so curious about this. Anyone else know this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 03:42 AM

Welcome to MDC!

(1) Babies can have totally different needs in regards to how often they nurse - there really is no standard way! My LO was still nursing like every 30m at your LO's age So if what you're doing is working, why stress? That's actually a great response for MILs, given with a smile - "Thanks, this is working for us. Pass the bean dip?" (In other words, we're moving on, lady...)

(2) Same thoughts re: the nighttime routine. If you get the point where things aren't working so well for the two of you, a couple wonderful and gentle books are Sleepless in America and anything by Elizabeth Pantley.

HTH!

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
#3 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 05:05 AM

Welcome!
The 4 hour thing is kind of a myth, I came to realise Some babies do it, but not many - and I've spoken to a lot of moms at the breastfeeding drop-in where I volunteer. It's hard when relatives have their opinions though, especially of the 'previous generation' where scheduled feeding was more the norm. Basically to keep your b.milk supply at its best, 4 hourly feeding (unless this is really what baby initiates herself) isn't the optimum. And 3 hourly is quite good really - at least , as you say, you know what to expect! My 20 month old fed every 1-2 hours until he was around a year!(and it's still 'good' if he goes 3 or 4 hours without a feed even now!)
AN excellent b.feeding book that really debunks some of these myths is 'The Food of Love: Your formula for successful breastfeeding' - it's humorous and has lovely cartoons too.
As for the bedtime, do what works for you, you can always change things later.
Good luck!
#4 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 05:21 AM
ssh

Even AAP recommends breastfeeding on demand, when ever your LO wants to nurse. My DD was still nursing every two hours and waking alot more than twice a night at that age. Just listen to your DD and her needs not your MIL or anyone else who tells you what you baby should or should not be doing.

And for sleep, always do what's easiest and gets everyone the most sleep. It sounds like your doing great. Some babies do well with early bedtimes and others do better with late ones. The right bedtime is the one that works for your family.
#5 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ds is 8 months. He still rarely goes 4 hours between feeds - sometimes first thing in the morning or if we're somewhere really exciting & that's about it.

With sleep we are learning to do what is working - even if it's not the "norm".

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#6 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 07:59 AM

My daughter is the same age and is ebf. I have just stopped looking at my watch. During the day she will go around 3 hrs between each feeding, but towards the evening she generally wants to eat every 2 hours. Somedays she will eat every two all day.

As for night time, I am with you!! If I put her to bed early she will get her longer chunk of sleep while I am still awake. If I put her to bed later then I actually get a bit more sleep. So she generally takes a nap around 8 or so. Then I take her to bed at 10 pm, then she will nurse on an off till she falls asleep around 11pm. I started co-sleeping with her a few weeks ago since she went a week where she would wake up every 1.5-2 hrs, growth spurt. I was a zoombie, so I just put her in the bed with me. Now I am not 100% sure of how much she is sleeping since we both fall asleep much quicker since I don't have to move her to her co-sleeper side car set up and she side nurses. I think she only wakes up a few times to nurse. This setup works so much better for us now!

My friend and I were talking about this the other day and we both agreed at this age, you just do what works. What works for one person isn't the same for another. So, just do what works for you and your baby.
#7 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 08:14 AM

Welcome to MDC!

If what you're doing is working, then keep doing it! My baby is almost 6months right now, and at night its every 3hours of more! We never went to 4hours though, until he started getting so distracted that eating just wasn't that interesting and he didn't want to stop what he was doing to nurse.
#8 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 01:30 PM

I work out of the home so my son is in day care. At day care he takes a bottle every 3-4 hours, about 4-5 oz. When he is at home it is more like every 1.5-2 hours. He just isn't a big fan of the bottle and prefers to wait for me to get home.

The sleeping thing I don't get, but every kid is different. How she acts/ sleeps now is dramatically different that she will be at a year, and at 2 years, and further on. You have to be flexable. She will switch things up on you just when you think you havea routine going. Enjoy her as much as you can, that is all that counts.

W (26) and C (27) parenting G (11/06 ) and D (2/09 ) plus a new one (3/11)
Sometimes the greener grass is actually AstroTurf, a false promise and nothing more.
#9 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 06:31 PM

My DS is 10 mo, and is just now in the last month going 2-3 hours between nursing during the day, and only because he is starting to eat more solids. At night, he wakes ever 1-2 hours.

I think you need to tell your MIL that you are very blessed to have such an easygoing, good-sleeping baby, and that most babies are not going that long during the day between feeds! I have never heard of an EBF baby going 4 hours between feedings and sleeping that well at night, actually.

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#10 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 09:11 PM

My kid is almost 9 months and can't go more than every 1 1/2-2 hours while we're at home without eating. Schedule feeding is for formula babies.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#11 of 13 Old 07-03-2009, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, I am so glad I posted this question. I had no idea it could vary so much. I read tons of books, but this is the first time I feel pretty good about the information received! Thanks all!!:
#12 of 13 Old 07-03-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacblue View Post
Wow, I am so glad I posted this question. I had no idea it could vary so much. I read tons of books, but this is the first time I feel pretty good about the information received! Thanks all!!:

I'm so glad you did too! I also just wanted to point you towards www.kellymom.com it is a great science/research based breastfeeding website.

Welcome to MDC!

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#13 of 13 Old 07-03-2009, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
4 hours between feedings??? Maybe in a baby with huge stomach capacity and a mom with huge milk storage capacity. DS1 didn't go that long until he was weaning after age 2.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page