Mothering Forum banner

Having latch issues, weight gain issues, low milk supply, etc...

704 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  dennyrice 
#1 ·
I'm having trouble getitng my baby to latch on and worried about weight gain so I'm pumping an dfeeding BM in a bottle.
There isn't another LLL meeting for a few weeks and I'm ready to give up. It's just so stressful and my breasts are so sore from not getting the proper latch (he's latching on as if he is sucking a bottle nipple)
I really want to give my baby breast milk but pumping and giving in the bottle is a lot of work! Please help!

#2 ·
I'm sorry to hear your story. I live in a small town with no breast feeding support and I had an awful time with all three of my babies (for a variety of reasons), so I understand your pain. If I had to do it all over again I'd drive 100 miles to a La Leche meeting or to find some kind of help. He's still young and you probably just need the right advice and support from an expert to get him latching on properly. Friends or family members who successfully breastfed can often be great sources of information and support as well. I'd try to find someone to help you even if you have to drive a long distance or pay someone to drive out to you. I ended up giving up and going to exclusively pumping which was a nightmare I wish on no one.

Good luck and hang in there. I hope you find the help you need.

#3 ·
There may not be a LLL meetig for several weeks but where are the people who run it??? Track them down. I agree with PP, go to them. Even if it is far. Baby is not too old to learn a good latch. My own baby had to learn a good latch and the easiest way was finger feeding with a syringe and tube. But I don't know enough about bottle nipple latch to know if that s good for you or not. BUt LLL leaders would. Google LC in your area?

#4 ·
The poor latch is the key to every difficulty you are experiencing and must be corrected for you to enjoy successful breastfeeding.
It is far better to have a person, experienced in nursing, help you out than try to explain via the written word how to do it. I strongly encourage you to contact your LLLL and talk with her, request help! Meetings are great for support, but your leader will be used to helping out during a crisis in between meetings as well. I'm sure she will be very happy to work with you to get past this.
FYI, you are doing the right thing by pumping and feeding until you can get help. While the bottle can cause it's own problems, the key is keeping your supply until help is obtained.

You can do it!

Best wishes,
Denny

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.