UPDATE!!!Friend about ready to deliver first baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-01-2004, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A good friend of mine is due to have her new son any day now. This is her first child, and I am her main support for breastfeeding. She is hopeful and excited to start nursing, but has seen what I went through with nursing my daughter (hell and back) and I think she is a bit nervous as well.

I want to make her a big food basket to deliver a few days after the baby arrives. I know when Abby and I finally got out of the hospital for the second time, I was so busy with attempting to nurse, pumping and gavage and finger feeding every 2 hours that I never had a spare moment wo make my self a decent meal, let alone meals for my family.

What would you suggest should go in the basket? I know frezer space is at a minimum, so I would like things such a breads, dry goods, and other "milk producing" items and drinks. Perhaps some of those meal in a jars things where you just add some water. I know I have seen those beautifully layers mason jars for pea soup and such, though I have no idea how to make that.

I think I will also include mother milk tea.

Any other ideas for items in the basket.

Thanks!
#2 of 14 Old 02-01-2004, 03:57 PM

The basket is a great idea! Maybe add some nuts for the protein and good fats, or some dried fruit to snack on. Include some little bottles of water to remind her to keep them near the bed and at "nursing stations" - then she can refill them.

I have to say, the soup in a jar thing sounds like too much work to me. In those early days when everything is so hard, even with the assembled ingredients I probably wouldn't have gotten around to cooking soup! IMO you should just make the soup yourself and they'll happily make fridge or freezer space.
#3 of 14 Old 02-01-2004, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Make the basket itself part of the gift -- something she can keep all her nursing "supplies" in to move about the house when she changes nursing locations. Include some good magazines -- maybe Mothering, but also something like National Geographic or Smithsonian. A bottle of water, of course, is key. Lanolin. Luna bars or the like? Trail mix is good. These aren't all food, I realize, but help with the nursing process.

Good for you to support your friend! I also loved having a meal show up at the door after my DD was three weeks old and going through her first growth spurt.
#4 of 14 Old 02-01-2004, 06:08 PM

A nursing pillow would be a great present if she doesn't already have them. I like the My Brest Friend the best.

Here's a website for recipes for the soup in a jar thing:

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/soup/soup.html

Oatmeal is great for milk supply, and of course quick and cheap, too.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#5 of 14 Old 02-01-2004, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Make the basket itself part of the gift -- something she can keep all her nursing "supplies" in to move about the house when she changes nursing locations
Excellent idea.
Make sure it's a one-handed basket though :LOL
I would have loved this! Maybe get her a breastfeeding book like the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, or the Breastfeeding Book by Dr. Sears.
And maybe a subscription to Mothering magazine? I know one thing that kept me sane during the hours of nursing at the beginning was having something to read!
#6 of 14 Old 02-01-2004, 06:53 PM

lots of muffins (you can put some wheat germ in them for extra goodness)

scones

if she is a meateater, JERKY

EmergenC's

dried fruit

M&M's! (sorry, but I love them and think that they sould be included in everything)

gift certificate for a place that delivers food or for a PPD to come in for a few hours.
#7 of 14 Old 02-02-2004, 07:51 PM

I would also include a list of local lll groups or lactation consultants, so she can seek help if there are any problems.

Great idea!!!

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#8 of 14 Old 02-05-2004, 01:23 AM

nak

what a wonderful way to support your friend. lots of great ideas. these are my picks:

mother's milk tea
luna bars
local LLL number
'womanly art of breastfeeding' book
granola (oats are great for milk production)
almonds
bottled water
fenugreek capsules (often used to increase supply if that is a problem)
this website address
and lots and lots of encouragement

#9 of 14 Old 02-11-2004, 11:07 AM

I second the recommendation for M&Ms! In the early days of breastfeeding, I kept a bowl full of M&Ms and pretzels by the rocking chair, right next to my ENORMOUS glass of water. Something about sweet and salty together really hit the spot at that time.

I would have been so happy to have a friend to put together this type of gift for me. Good idea!
#10 of 14 Old 02-13-2004, 06:28 PM

What a lucky friend she is to have you! I too would have *loved* a gift like this. I think sticking to the breastfeeding support theme is great - a good book, LLL info, magazines, breast pads, lanolin cream, healthy snacks, water, tea, maybe print up some funny cartoons about breastfeeding from breastfeeding.com to keep it light. Maybe a coupon for a home cooked meal and an offer to attend a couple LLL meetings w/her (it can be a daunting idea to a new mom). Great job mama!

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#11 of 14 Old 02-13-2004, 06:41 PM

A "one free out-to-lucheon" ticket from you and take her to a LLL meeting AND lunch after!
#12 of 14 Old 02-27-2004, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all your advice!

My friend delivered today, and I am going to deliver the basket when I visit tomorrow. I included The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, the current issue of Mothering, a nice large water bottle, chapstick, those breast gel packs that can be heated or cooled for breast relief, gentian violet incase of thrush, granola bars, some snack mix I made and layered in a nice jar (mixed nuts, M&M's, small PB crackers, etc) some nice burp cloths, and a card with the local LLL leaders names, phone number, meeting times and an offer to take her and the baby to lunch and a meeting when she is ready.

I think she will love it! I know I would have!
#13 of 14 Old 02-28-2004, 01:46 AM

That is awsome. You are a really good friend. I would have also loved for someone to be that supportive of me. I am sure she will love it

Louise
mama to juniper
wife to ben
#14 of 14 Old 02-28-2004, 12:01 PM

Wonderful! She is going to be so happy. What a great friend you are. All breastfeeding moms deserve this.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page