Nursing a toddler - will it cause tooth decay? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-23-2009, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A friend's pediatrician has recommended she stop breastfeeding now that her baby is a year old. : The pediatrician says nursing at night will be bad for his teeth. What do you think???

I've sent her Jack Newman's article on breastfeeding toddlers, which is great, but he doesn't mention the issue with tooth decay. I seem to recall seeing links to research or articles here on the subject but haven't been able to find them using the search function. Can anyone point me to something I can send her?
#2 of 12 Old 08-23-2009, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I bf my dd when she was a toddler frequently during the night, and she has great teeth. I think the good teeth/bad teeth thing is due to genetics more than anything else.

Edited to add that this is a pet peeve of mine - bf is blamed for every potential problem by doctors, but never offered as a potential solution.
#3 of 12 Old 08-23-2009, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post
Edited to add that this is a pet peeve of mine - bf is blamed for every potential problem by doctors, but never offered as a potential solution.
I totally agree! My first comment was, okay, but did he tell you about all the advantages of continuing???? Of course not.
#4 of 12 Old 08-23-2009, 11:45 AM

DS is almost two, and reverse-cycled. We usually brush his teeth before bedtime, but then he nurses to sleep. He just had his first dentist appointment and his teeth are fine. If you do a search, there seems to be a genetic component to whether the teeth decay or not. Main thing his dentist recommended was to brush twice a day, and floss.

Unitarian Universalist Pagan
#5 of 12 Old 08-23-2009, 12:38 PM

#6 of 12 Old 08-23-2009, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heba View Post
Perfect! I don't know why I didn't check Kellymom. Thanks everyone!!!
#7 of 12 Old 08-23-2009, 08:17 PM

Usually it's best if you eat, brush your teeth at night after eating, then go to sleep (not brush, eat, then sleep). I think what the doc said applies to eating/drinking anything at night including Breastmilk.

enjoying motherhood way more than science:
married to DH love.gif (2003) mama to DDenergy.gif(Nov 2008) & DSbabyf.gif   (Mar 2011)

#8 of 12 Old 08-23-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaPhD View Post
Usually it's best if you eat, brush your teeth at night after eating, then go to sleep (not brush, eat, then sleep). I think what the doc said applies to eating/drinking anything at night including Breastmilk.
In this case, the evidence is pointing to the opposite; for breastfed infants to eat(solids) , brushteeth, nurse, then sleep.

Human milk compounds inhibiting adhesion of mutans streptococci to host ligand-coated hydroxyapatite in vitro.

Feeding habits as determinants of early childhood caries in a population where prolonged breastfeeding is the norm.

That was just a quick search, I am sure there more info.
#9 of 12 Old 08-23-2009, 09:07 PM

Brian Plamer (dentist) has some great stuff... I'll try to google it and add it here.

ETA here it is, and if you look around his site you may find more ammunition too.
http://www.brianpalmerdds.com/bfeed_caries.htm
#10 of 12 Old 08-23-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaPhD View Post
He's reverse-cycled. This means he gets most of his milk overnight, while I'm home. (I work days.) The best I can do is make sure that there aren't any other food particles present when he nurses to sleep.

OPs have posted studies. The articles I've read from posts on MDC say that it's the OTHER food particles that usually cause decay, not usually BM, unless the family is genetically prone to early caries.

Unitarian Universalist Pagan
#11 of 12 Old 08-24-2009, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post
Brian Plamer (dentist) has some great stuff... I'll try to google it and add it here.

ETA here it is, and if you look around his site you may find more ammunition too.
http://www.brianpalmerdds.com/bfeed_caries.htm
Thanks!
#12 of 12 Old 08-24-2009, 07:00 PM

I think your friend needs to find a new doc. That is outdated advice and indicates the doctor regularly gives misinformation.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page