Could this be a blocked duct? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-05-2004, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since yesterday, my left breast has been very sore. The left side feels like it does when it is very full. Only problem, is ds has been nursing normally, and when I tried to pump after a feeding (because I thought I would to eliviate the pressure), I only got a few millilitres.
What does a blockage feel like? Could that be what this is? If so, now what do I do? It hurts very badly everytime I accidentally bump against something, and laying down to sleep last night was painful.
Any ideas? :

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2004, 01:42 PM

Sounds like a blocked duct to me. First, pump/nurse as much as possible on that side without neglecting the other. try hand expressing in the shower while massaging the sore area. Also, apply heat before nursing/pumping and try massaging while nursing/pumping. Hopefully you will feel relief soon. keep on top of it to make sure it doesn't turn into mastitis (achy, feverish, etc)
Old 02-05-2004, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Carrie!!
I'll be sure to try that. I don't want it to develop into something worse.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:54 PM

Another helpful trick is to position the baby so that the chin points toward the sore duct. That puts the most powerful suction in the clogged area and really helps draw it out. You might have to lay the baby down and position yourself at the right angle in an acrobatic way, but this helps so much that it is worth it!

You can be very frequent with the hot packs too, even more than before each nursing.

Hope you're feeling better!
Old 02-05-2004, 11:54 PM

massaging the breast in the shower really helped mine every time. you can also try to hand express some milk in the shower and also use moist heat throughout the day. You do not want to get a breast infection.....so do what you can now to prevent it. hang in there. hope it resolves itself quickly for you.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your advise ladies.
:bf
I applied a lot of heat to the breast yesterday and it started feeling better. This morning, I noticed a "red" mark at the sore spot on my breast, so I did some massage in the shower and everything appears to be great now. Nothing hurting anymore!! Thanks so much, for answering my questions!!

User Tag List