how often does your 3-4 mo old breastfeed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-16-2009, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby seems to not be nursing a whole lot these days - he's just over 3 months - and I'm curious what your babies are doing. I offer a lot and get shot down a lot! I'm worried about my supply when he goes so long betwen feedings and I know his weight gain has slowed down too. I don't normally watch the clock, but since he's going so long it makes me watch the clock and be nervous that it's been too long. Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2009, 10:55 AM

My now 4mo DS did something similar, I think he may have started teething (major increase in drool!) but his feedings started to drop as well. I was almost hurt because he had never turned down the breast before and now he was protesting in a major way, like crying and trying to push it away!! It went on like that for almost a week. When he would start fussing and refuse to feed, I found he liked to chew on a cold, wet, cloth (I would put the cloth on a finger and rub his gums) but his feedings have since picked back up. I think he just needed time to adapt to the changes going on in his mouth and body. If you are worried about supply, try some mothers milk tea maybe? It worked wonders for us : )

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

Old 09-16-2009, 12:35 PM

by this age, baby is usually getting a lot more efficient at nursing, as well, vision has totally picked up, so they are more distracted and the nursing/sleeping pattern they had as little newborns shifts as they are seeing the world and are just distracted now. Just make sure you're still getting wet diapers. Try not to stress. If you're really concerned, try to nurse in a quiet and dim room every so often so he doesn't feel compelled to look our the window, television or siblings, or what not. Also, drooling really picks up around 3.5 months, teething or not. I remember thinking DS would be popping a tooth at 4 months due to his constant drooling, but alas, no teeth until 8 months. DD is now 4 months and she's a drool queen, but I'm not expecting any teeth anytime soon. And, same thing with the nursing, it'll seem like she's hardly nursing at all, constantly latching on then immediately pulling off to examine things, look around, watch her brother! Weight gain usually slows down about now too. I mean, they can't be doubling their weight every two months anymore, right?

Catherine and B stillheart.gif DS1 (6) biggrinbounce.gif DD (4) loveeyes.gif DS2 (1) drool.gif and expecting #4 shamrocksmile.gif on March 17, 2014.  
Old 09-16-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catters View Post
by this age, baby is usually getting a lot more efficient at nursing, as well, vision has totally picked up, so they are more distracted and the nursing/sleeping pattern they had as little newborns shifts as they are seeing the world and are just distracted now. Just make sure you're still getting wet diapers. Try not to stress. If you're really concerned, try to nurse in a quiet and dim room every so often so he doesn't feel compelled to look our the window, television or siblings, or what not. Also, drooling really picks up around 3.5 months, teething or not. I remember thinking DS would be popping a tooth at 4 months due to his constant drooling, but alas, no teeth until 8 months. DD is now 4 months and she's a drool queen, but I'm not expecting any teeth anytime soon. And, same thing with the nursing, it'll seem like she's hardly nursing at all, constantly latching on then immediately pulling off to examine things, look around, watch her brother! Weight gain usually slows down about now too. I mean, they can't be doubling their weight every two months anymore, right?
Totally agree. I also thought for sure my dd was getting teeth by 4 mos because of the excessive drool, but it continued on and off until her first 2 finally popped thru at 14 months! She's now 16 months and her nursing has continued to vary thru all the different changes.

Anna wife to Phil & sahm to Iris (5/08) "Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth." - Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945), radio address, October 26, 1939
Old 09-18-2009, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, anyone else have any input? Just stressed my babe isn't nursing enough . . .
Old 09-18-2009, 08:27 PM

DD loves to nurse, so I'd say she freeds every 2 hours or so, but can go longer (this is just when we're home and she wants to snuggle). I would perhaps mention it to your Dr and make sure your LO is still gaining the proper amount of weight. Could just be a combination or teething and filling up faster.

Mommy to DS Scotland (4) & DD Finley (05.14.09)
I'm a Vegan-treehugging-clothdiapering-co-sleeping-breastfeeding-attachmentparenting, babywearing-mum!

User Tag List