Taste bud-like bumps inside inverted nipples - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-16-2009, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi-

I don't know if anyone will be able to answer this but I thought I would give it a try. I have inverted nipples and when I draw out the nipple, there are a few little red bumps that look like inflamed taste buds "inside" the part that retracts. I don't know how else to describe this. I am 40 weeks pregnant right now but I am pretty sure these little bumps have been "inside" my nipples for years. They don't hurt when left alone but they're definitely sensitive to touch. I have been using an electric breast pump for a couple minutes a days just to try and draw my nipples out a little before baby is born. The bumps definitely feel a little sore from the sucking action when I'm using the pump but I guess that could just be because they have never been disturbed before. Since they're inside both nipples and I really believe they've been there for quite a while without causing any problems, I'm not worried that they are cancerous or anything. But I would like to know what they are, as I'm a little worried they might get very irritated once I actually start breastfeeding. Anyway I have tried to do numerous internet searches to see if anyone else has these bumps or might know what they are, but I can't seem to find any information. Does anyone have any idea what I'm referring to?

Thanks for your replies,
Jessica
#2 of 4 Old 09-16-2009, 02:45 PM

I'd need to do some research on this one - I really am not sure, however, instead of pumping to pull the nipples out, I really would recommend instead this:
buy a syringe for min 20 but preferably 25 - these are the sizes here in europe - they could be different in the states but they need to be big and wide enought to cover the whole of your nipple and a little bit more - get rid of the needle. Take the inside part out of the tube, and cut off at the widest part the front part of the syringe, so that you can reinsert the inside part at the cut off end, then put the smooth end over your nipple and pull - not too hard you don't want to damage yourself!! Anyway you may like to give it a go, and I'll look about for the spots and see if I can find anything.

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#3 of 4 Old 09-16-2009, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your response and suggestions. I will try the syringe idea. I mainly used the breast pump only because I'm already past my due date and I didn't figure it could hurt at this point (bring on the contractions!) - and the medela nipple shells don't help me one bit.

If you do find out anything about the bumps I would love to hear it, although I have tried for weeks to research it on my own to no avail....that's why I finally decided to post the question on a forum in hopes someone else has the same little bumps. I should really not describe them as bumps, because they look more like skin tags actually (I don't believe this is what they are though, but I guess it's possible....) They look exactly like an inflamed taste bud so that is really the best description I can give.

Thanks again.
Jessica
#4 of 4 Old 08-04-2012, 02:43 AM

Hi Jessica, I know you posted this question quite a few years ago now but I have the same bumps inside my nipples and can't find any info on them on the net. I am currently 39.5 weeks pregnant with my first and am wondering if they are going to create any pain during breastfeeding. Did you manage to successfully breastfeed with them? Or did you manage to find out any info on them?

Thank you so much, it seems to be not a common thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page