preganancy and breastfeeding what happens to the milk supply? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-17-2009, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am ttc and recently heard that if you bf while pregnant eventually the milk will dry up, is this true and if so when does this happen? I was hoping to tandem bf, how do people do this if the milk dries up?
#2 of 7 Old 09-18-2009, 03:25 AM

I'm at week 29 & nothing's dried up yet. I've also heard that the older child will stop near the end of the pregnancy because they don't like the change in the milk, but will start up again once the colostrum goes away.

Me, my Sweetie , DD 1 (Dec 07),  and DD 2 (Dec 09). Co-sleeping, delayed-vaxing, quia Lutherans!
#3 of 7 Old 09-18-2009, 04:59 AM

My milk supply didn't completely dry up, but it did decrease. My first son weaned a few months into my pregnancy and once that happened my milk did dry up rather quickly.

BebeWearing Mamas
Pouches, Ring Slings, Mei Tais, and Wraps to Keep Mamas and Bebes Close
#4 of 7 Old 09-18-2009, 05:04 AM

i nursed throught out my pregnancy, i think i lost supply for a few weeks, maybe around week 32, but by 36 weeks i had colostrum in abundance. DD never gave me any indication she couldnt get any milk the whole time, and im now tandem nursing her and hte new baby, who is a month old.

Kiz
#5 of 7 Old 09-18-2009, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Is there any extra sore nipples or cramping that I should be aware of?
#6 of 7 Old 09-18-2009, 10:03 AM

This is my second pregnancy while breastfeeding and my milk has been dried up for some time. I'm a little over 20 weeks. It dried up during both pregnancies but my little ones continued to nurse for comfort anyway. I did not have any additional pain or discomfort during either pregnancy but I have heard stories otherwise, that nursing during pregnancy has the potential to be extremely uncomfortable/painful.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#7 of 7 Old 09-18-2009, 10:26 AM

for me it was nipple pain that made me think i was pregnant, after that initial pain there was nothing at all that bothered me untill the later stages when nursing would trigger BH contracions and minor pre labour stuff. after the birth onother hand i had to put DD2 off for a couple of days as the after pains were crippling and it was hard enought to grit my teeth to feed the new baby never mind the toddler.

Kiz

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page