How much should 10 month olds nurse???!!!!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 09-18-2009, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

How many times, how often and how long do nursing sessions last with your 10 month old babe?

Are you also feeding solids? How much and how often?

Thanks!
#2 of 13 Old 09-18-2009, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ds has solids 2-4 times a day & eats quite a bit at each sitting. Veggies, fruit, meat, some grains, yogurt.

He bf when he wakes up in the morning (maybe 30-45 minutes - this is his longest session) once mid-morning, sometimes in the afternoon, sometimes in the early evening, before bed & then usually once, sometimes twice during the night. Most sessions are 10-15 minutes. The sometimes sessions he seems to be able to easily go without so if we are out & about or he's spending the day at my Mom's he doesn't seem to miss those sessions but will bf longer the next time I have him.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#3 of 13 Old 09-18-2009, 06:39 PM

I never paid attention to length/frequency. Is there reason for concern?

hh2.gif

#4 of 13 Old 09-18-2009, 06:44 PM

My DD will be 10 months on Sunday and she continues to nurse a LOT. She nurses off and on throughout the night, upon waking up, before and after both naps (and sometimes during her naps) and often just randomly in the afternoon she'll nurse in the middle of playtime. And she nurses to sleep at night which is definitely the longest session - can last 30-40 minutes. I'd estimate probably around 15 times a day or so?

She eats 2 small meals of solids per day, breakfast and lunch. I am not sure how much actually gets in...we are doing BLW so sometimes most of the food goes on the floor or in her hair rather than in her mouth. Other times she scarfs down everything in front of her and looks for more.

I think every baby's different!

Mama to a little bouncy girl (11/08) and someone new coming 11/11!
#5 of 13 Old 09-18-2009, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

My DS didn't gain any weight for 2.5 months so I am trying to monitor food intake more closely.
He has very short nursing sessions-he is very active and easily distracted he comes on and off the boob a lot and I keep offering it to him cause I am not sure he is getting enough.
I don't think he ever nurses for more than 7-10 mins!!!!
He recently started eating solids-even though I offered them since 7 months, he was not interested.

Just trying to figure out if he's eating enough.....
#6 of 13 Old 09-19-2009, 11:33 AM

mamas milk is far denser in calories and nutrition than solids. I'd back off the solids a little and nurse more. Perhaps expressing a little foremilk so he gets the fattier hindmilk faster.

hh2.gif

#7 of 13 Old 09-19-2009, 11:33 AM

Is he peeing and pooping like "normal?"

hh2.gif

#8 of 13 Old 09-19-2009, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If he's become very active it's normal for weightgain to slow or halt for a time. Ds was gaining 3lbs a month!!! & now he hasn't gained 1/2 a lb in the past month.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#9 of 13 Old 09-19-2009, 02:45 PM

Mine is 11 months old and only eats tiny bits of what we're eating-like maybe 1 T. Of food a day. He eats every 1 1/2-2 hours usually.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#10 of 13 Old 09-19-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debobu View Post
He has very short nursing sessions-he is very active and easily distracted he comes on and off the boob a lot and I keep offering it to him cause I am not sure he is getting enough.
I don't think he ever nurses for more than 7-10 mins!!!!
Babies who are snackers -- very frequent, very brief nursers -- can sometimes run into weight problems for the combination of not ever really filling up, not getting enough hind milk, and/or their not draining the breast affecting available supply. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but you might actually think about offering less often, in as quiet and distraction-free a setting as possible, and seeing if that helps him to nurse longer.
#11 of 13 Old 09-19-2009, 06:23 PM

Twice a day (morning and bedtime). Not sure of the duration, maybe 15 - 20 mins? She'll take both sides.

She does eat a lot of solids and is currently on the 98th centile on the weight chart (the one for bf babies) so I guess she's getting what she needs.
#12 of 13 Old 09-20-2009, 12:35 AM

My son is 10 months old, nearly 11 months.

He is so different to his brother. #1 was a BF champ lol... didn't want anything but. This little one is another matter. He always BF in the morning as soon as he wakes up and that's the longest feed of the day. He always takes both sides. He has a little bit on and off during the day (this varies greatly) and he eats about 2 'meals' a day.... lunch and dinner (vaguely) and he BF before going to bed, but only a bit. He gets very distracted very easily. I've found it easier, if I can spare the time to take him upstairs and feed him on our bed in the calm. But even then, once he's done, he's done. #1 would stay stuck to the boob all day if I let him lol, but this one just wants to explore!

He also drinks quite a bit of water in a bottle during the day.

Mama to 2 gorgeous little boys 5 yrs and 2.5 yrs fencing.gif expecting another babyf.gif in November 2011!!

It's a stork-girl.gif !!! hearts.gif
Living with my amazing partner love.gif and 4 cat.gif

#13 of 13 Old 09-21-2009, 10:50 AM

good to know some babies aren't eating much solids yet. My 10 month old is nursing a lot still, but I offer food everyday in her highchair. Sometimes she eats some, but mostly she plays and it ends up on the floor.

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page