TSA and Breastmilk ?'s - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-22-2009, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to the TSA website and read all about traveling with breastmilk without the baby. I am going to print out this information so I have it to present, but has anybody traveled with breastmilk and no baby? I need to bring a cooling pack with me so I can bring the chilled milk home - are they going to give me guff about that? It says that breastmilk falls into the same category as liquid medication and that you can bring frozen gels or liquids to keep meds chilled - breastmilk should be no different. I want to pack my Playtex Fridge-to-Go bag which has the freezy-thingy's sewn into it; think that will be a problem becasue they can't see them? Maybe I'll check with Playtex on that.

Any TSA stories out there - good or bad?

DH says to pump and dump while away from babe but I don't think I can do that!

: Allen James 2/06 : Thomas Foster 12/08 :
#2 of 7 Old 09-22-2009, 12:55 PM

Maybe you don't have to dump. Maybe you could donate it if you don't need it when you are back home. Just a thought. No answers to your questions.

hh2.gif

#3 of 7 Old 09-22-2009, 12:58 PM

I flew with a carry-on cooler of breastmilk when I returned from my business trip in January. My bag went through x-ray just fine and was not pulled for any additional searching.

So, I had zero problems.

Unitarian Universalist Pagan
#4 of 7 Old 09-22-2009, 03:43 PM

I did have the baby with me both times so a little different, but I have had no issues. I told them before I put the bag on the X-ray that it was breastmilk and they didn't even hand inspect it either time.

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

#5 of 7 Old 09-22-2009, 04:21 PM

I travelled with my baby and breastmilk, they hand inspected it, they opened one and did a test where they waved a swab like thing over the open container. It was hand inspected, one vial opened, both ways on my trip. I had 2.5 oz vials and put them inside zip lock bags. The web site says you can travel with milk without the baby.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...n/formula.shtm

TSA is also modifying the rules associated with carrying breast milk through security checkpoints. Mothers flying with, and now without, their child will be permitted to bring breast milk in quantities greater than three ounces as long as it is declared for inspection at the security checkpoint.

Breast milk is in the same category as liquid medications.

When carrying formula, breast milk, or juice through the checkpoint, they will be inspected, however, you or your infant or toddler will not be asked to test or taste breast milk, formula, or juice. Our Security Officers may test liquid exemptions (exempt items more than 3 ounces) for explosives.

When traveling with your infant or toddler, in the absence of suspicious activity or items, greater than 3 ounces of baby formula, breast milk, or juice are permitted through the security checkpoint in reasonable quantities for the duration of your itinerary, if you perform the following:

Separate these items from the liquids, gels, and aerosols in your quart-size and zip-top bag.
Declare you have the items to one of our Security Officers at the security checkpoint.
Present these items for additional inspection once reaching the X-ray. These items are subject to additional screening.
You are encouraged to travel with only as much formula, breast milk, or juice in your carry-on needed to reach your destination.

You are allowed to bring gel or liquid-filled teethers, canned, jarred, or processed baby food in your carry-on baggage and aboard your plane.

For information on creams, medicines, or other essential items for your child, please read our guidance on these items. Click here for the list of permitted and prohibited items.

Liquids and gels, including baby formula, breast milk, or juice, may be packed in your luggage and checked with your airline.

After clearing security, travelers can now bring beverages and other items purchased in the secure boarding area on-board aircraft.

For more details on navigating the screening process with your children, please read our information on traveling with children.
#6 of 7 Old 09-22-2009, 04:49 PM

I travel quite a bit and with three kids, I've had my fair share of run ins with TSA. Just know their policies. Generally it's not a problem at all, I just pull the little black cooler bag out of the pump and say "this is a pump and here is the milk and gel freezer pack" and they say "ok" and that's it. Sometimes when I'm leaving on my trip and have no milk with me (having just left home), they will say something about the freezer pack, but I just say that I'm at the beginning of my trip so I don't have any milk with me, and the gel pack is to keep it cold upon my return. I've never had them not let me through with it.

Generally they don't blink an eye. I've only had the chem strip test once in the two years since they've allowed milk to be transported.
#7 of 7 Old 09-23-2009, 01:33 PM

I did it while traveling internationally. My dh and I went to Mexico for a week when DS 1 was 15mos and I pumped while I was gone. I came home with several bottles of milk in thinsulate bags with freezer gel packs. I disclosed it at every security checkpoint. I told them, "I have breast milk in my bag." They just opened the bags and looked in at them. No one gave me any problems.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page