Breastfeeding after breast reduction - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-03-2009, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I'm new here, currently almost 34 weeks along with my first. I had a breast reduction five years ago and am worried I will not be able to breastfeed, so I was wondering if there was anyone here who had the surgery as well that could comment?

Thanks!

Sarah

Sarah
Home-birthing, breastfeeding, bed-sharing, cloth-diapering Mom to Rhiannon Scout, born 11-21-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2009, 09:19 PM

My SIL, who had a reduction, is still nursing her 18-month-old. She takes domperidone and uses a Lact-Aid to supplement at the breast.
She swears by bfar.org and I've heard good things about the book Defining Your Own Success.
Good luck!

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
Old 10-03-2009, 11:05 PM

I had a reduction years ago and nursed my 5 year old for almost 2 years. BFAR is a great website and the book Defining your own success is a MUST HAVE.

I took loads of domperidone and mother's milk tea (seemed to improve my let down tremendously)

you can do it! pump like MAD the first few days especially....it really helps
Old 10-04-2009, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

thanks!!!!

What is domperidone?

Sarah

Sarah
Home-birthing, breastfeeding, bed-sharing, cloth-diapering Mom to Rhiannon Scout, born 11-21-09
Old 10-04-2009, 09:51 PM

I had a reduction on one side 16 years before DD was born. Although the side that was reduced doesn't make as much milk, it is MORE than adequate. Augmentations don't necessarily mean problems, but you should do like the PPs said and read up before baby arrives. Congrats on your baby-to-be and welcome to Mothering!

Old 10-05-2009, 12:38 AM

I suggest buying the book Making More Milk. It's authors run bfar.org. Arm yourself with the knowledge of everything you can take and do in case you have supply problems. I have implants but have ended up with all the same supply problems as a reduction bc it is similar damage. I make about 50% of my daughter's needs while taking domperidone. We supplement after every feed and I use a lactaid. I suggest having a lactaid on hand in case you need it so you don't have to use bottles to supplement. I started with bottles and my daughter got awful nipple confusion - wasn't sucking on the breast correcrtly and stopped opening her mouth wide enough for a good latch. Next time around I will do lactaid only.

I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to PM me with any questions. I feel like knowing what you can do if you have problems early on is key. It was a long process for me to learn everything and it would have saved me a lot of stress and worry if I had already known it. Also please keep in mind that you can have a fantastic nursing relationship with your baby, even if you do end up needing to supplement. My daughter loves loves loves to nurse and I am so thankful for our special time and being able to comfort her and sooth her to sleep. :-)

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

User Tag List