DD turning head while nursing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-06-2009, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure if I can explain this correctly, but I'm going to try.
DD turns her head into breast while nursing, or into the bed while side lying. Let me try to make this clear...

background:
DD and I have been dealing with supply/lazy suck/shallow latch issues from about 5 weeks. She is turning 3 months tomorrow and most of the issues are improving steadily. I've increased my supply (pumping, dom, fenugreek, hand expressing) and in turn her latch & suck have improved..finally. woohoo! But, we still have this issue....
She has been doing it for quite a while now, so I'm not sure what could be causing it. I usually have to place a folded blanket near her temple/cheek area (on the bottom side) to help keep her from turning. I also have to keep my hand ready to correct frequently throughout the nursing session. She does it no matter which side, which position. So basically, if we are side lying, she turns into the bed. If we are nursing sitting up, she turns toward my belly. I haven't found a position yet, where she doesn't steadily turn into the breast untill she ends up almost facing straight down, towards my hip. Any ideas? BTDT?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

DS-(1996), DSD-(2001), and our miracle baby girl-(7/7/09) and Always remembering my 3 brokenheart.gif angel babies
and cautiously due May 12, 2011!
#2 of 6 Old 10-06-2009, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can't tell if you've covered this in your description or not but some babies are really sensitive to being touched while they're nursing, and will turn when it happens. Could it be something like that?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#3 of 6 Old 10-07-2009, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When sitting have you tried a football hold where dc is more on their back than side? It would limit how far she could turn her head.

When side-lying now I lie ds on his back & he turns his head towards me. I can't remember how old he was when we started that but that would also limit how far she can turn her head. Since she is turning her head anyway I wouldn't think making her turn her head to nurse would be bad.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#4 of 6 Old 10-10-2009, 12:05 AM

I wonder if a chiropractic adjustment might help. Sometimes babies have tight muscles due to the way they were in the womb.
#5 of 6 Old 10-11-2009, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post
When sitting have you tried a football hold where dc is more on their back than side? It would limit how far she could turn her head.

When side-lying now I lie ds on his back & he turns his head towards me. I can't remember how old he was when we started that but that would also limit how far she can turn her head. Since she is turning her head anyway I wouldn't think making her turn her head to nurse would be bad.
We've been doing the football hold more often which does help some

also, the side-lying position seems to work a little better with her more on her back, thanks!

I don't think it's an adversion to being touched, I usually can clip her nails, etc.. while nursing and it doesn't bother her.

I have noticed that she does it more after she's been nursing for longer periods or when it seems the flow is slower or not there. I think its her way of trying to get more milk? hmm....I'll see if that pattern continues..

DS-(1996), DSD-(2001), and our miracle baby girl-(7/7/09) and Always remembering my 3 brokenheart.gif angel babies
and cautiously due May 12, 2011!
#6 of 6 Old 02-09-2012, 06:36 PM

My 4 month old is doing the same thing --turning head toward the bed when nursing.  She went on a nursing strike last week in order to campaign for only the bed-lying position.  I am going to see what the LC says.  My older daughter has apraxia and will oddly suck from a straw inserted through the side of her month.  I wonder if twisting the head is an attempt to get the nipple "straw" to the side of the month, too, where my older seems to have more sensitivity.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page