I tried the bottle - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-28-2009, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and it made me feel sick to give it to him. And now I'm worried about our bfing relationship.
I'm going back to work on Monday and I've put off trying the bottle until now. I have a multitude of types but decided to try the Adiri first. It's the slow flow but it still drips out when you turn it up. He took it okay. No fighting or acting like he's dying like he does with the paci. He sucked a few times although he doesn't really latch onto it like a baby who has always had a bottle. And I stopped and gave him the boob.
Now, I'm worried that he's going to like the bottle more than me and stop nursing. I thought it would be harder and that he would resist having something that wasn't mama, but he seemed fine with it. I guess I should be happy that he won't starve while I'm gone, but now I'm more sad about leaving him than before cause I selfishly don't want to not be able to be the sole source of food and comfort.
#2 of 13 Old 10-28-2009, 09:05 AM

I wouldn't worry too much. The vast, vast majority of babies prefer mamma.

I work full-time, and DD takes about 9 ounces during the day, so she isn't starving or thirsty. But as soon as I walk through the door, she is so happy--she throws herself in nursing position, opens her mouth, closes her eyes, and nurses for about 30 minutes straight. Then she nurses all night long. Bottles will deliver nutrition, but mothers are warm and comforting.

You may also try Breastflow, if you are worried about a too-fast flow. I tried a dozen bottles (including Adiri), and they are what DD prefers, and seem to be the slowest flow. They are alos cheaper than Adiri.

Good luck!
#3 of 13 Old 10-28-2009, 01:44 PM

Try not to stress about it. At least you know that he is not going to have a problem getting nourishment while mommy is away. So many babies have problems with the bottle. I'm luck that my little guy took to the bottle like it was second nature... but he still loves the boob! Yesterday DH got off schedule and didn't give DS his last bottle until just before I got home. Even with a full tummy, DS still wanted the boob as soon as he saw me!

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

#4 of 13 Old 10-28-2009, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I feel like a little schoolgirl "What if he likes her better than me?" I just don't want to lose this relationship. Even though it took me until my first was 3.5mos to get him to nurse, he nursed until he was 22mos and it was a HUGE part of our bond and our closeness. I really want that same thing with this one.
#5 of 13 Old 10-28-2009, 07:30 PM

I would feel the exact same way, mama. I am scared of giving my future LO a bottle, even though I know that we are going to need it occasionally. Keep in mind that you can always switch nipples if your LO gets confused.

Happy excited Mama! Evelyn Isabel born March 12, 2010!
#6 of 13 Old 10-28-2009, 11:37 PM

I was scared too but it's been working out fine. DS prefers boob above all else even though he took to the bottle just fine. mama.
#7 of 13 Old 10-29-2009, 03:17 AM

I posted about this like a month ago, I so understand I felt like I was being replaced by a piece of plastic, but I am happy I did it (though I did not feel this way after DH gave him that first bottle). I want the option of being able to leave DS with DH if need be. He may get one bottle a week at the most, but the option is there if need be. Overall DS has not been negatively effected by the bottle introduction and he still much prefers the boob so that makes me VERY happy.

Belly Dancing, Tattooed, Veggy, Mum to DS 8/16/09 Married to a : Tattooed Geek at home with Dot and Dash fur babies : <-- pretend I am a rat
#8 of 13 Old 10-29-2009, 11:46 AM

It is a sucky feeling, isn't it? FWIW, my older DS had bottles at daycare, and I pumped for him until he was 15 months old. He nursed until he self weaned at 26.5 months. You do what you have to do, but it will be okay. I understand how you are feeling.
#9 of 13 Old 10-29-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivkah View Post
I wouldn't worry too much. The vast, vast majority of babies prefer mamma.
I work full-time, and DD takes about 9 ounces during the day, so she isn't starving or thirsty. But as soon as I walk through the door, she is so happy--she throws herself in nursing position, opens her mouth, closes her eyes, and nurses for about 30 minutes straight. Then she nurses all night long. Bottles will deliver nutrition, but mothers are warm and comforting.

I returned to work full-time when DD was about 10 weeks old. Even though she drinks 3-4 bottles (expressed breast milk) each day, she still loves to nurse when I am home. I wouldn't worry too much either. While most babies will accept either method of delivery when they're hungry, they probably prefer their mama.

"The decision to have a child is momentous because it is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.''
#10 of 13 Old 10-29-2009, 03:55 PM

awwww mama... I understand how you feel.

I am a working mama and had to give my babies both bottles of EBM while I was out and it sucked for me too.... but my 15 month old runs to me when I get home and signs and says "Milk, milk, milk, milk" until I give in. I literally have to walk in sometimes with my shirt ready or he will tear it down trying to get to the bewbs. He has had a bottle since he was 6 or 8 weeks old when I went back to work.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#11 of 13 Old 10-29-2009, 03:57 PM

I am watching a little guy who is 2 almost 3 months old. He is having no problems at all with me and the bottle and takes it like a champ. He smiles and giggles and seems to just love eatting. However, the moment he hears his mommas voice he gets antsy and wants to nurse right away. And this is a baby who didn't get a good latch and didn't officially breast feed from his mom for the first 6 weeks. He totally wants his momma, but has no problem with the bottle for me.

Basically, I am saying is he likes food, and he doesn't care how he gets food, but he LOVES his mommy and wants to snuggle with his momma and get that extra bonus of a drink while he gets the wonderful snuggles from his mommy. Oh and he wont snuggle with me the way he does his mom. They know who their moms are and they always want mommy more.
#12 of 13 Old 10-29-2009, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas. It makes me feel better to hear other women in the same situation who have maintained this bfing relationship. It also makes me feel less silly about being jealous of the bottle.
#13 of 13 Old 10-30-2009, 02:03 PM

Feeling jealous of the bottle, so to speak, is totally normal and not at all weird or something to feel silly about. It's totally great that you want to maintain that wonderful close nursing relationship and not "share" your baby with a piece of plastic. And that said, I hope that when your babe does have to bottle feed, it goes smoothly and is not stressful. Don't worry, you will ALWAYS be the preferred source of milk and nourishment and warm comfort! After all, babies know which side their bread is buttered on, LOL.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page