Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 11-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
I am curious about pacifiers too. I could see using one if it seemed like the right situation. Are they all made of plastic? or rubber? Or are there any other materials that they are made of?
They are made of rubber or silicone.
#32 of 40 Old 11-14-2009, 10:55 PM

we introduced it at 3 weeks, but he wouldn't take it. Re introduced at 2 months, and he took to it! He used the paci to suck when he didn't want milk, and gave it up at 8 months. I think if I had bought a larger size paci, he might still take it, but I didn't really think about that until a few weeks ago and he's already almost 11 months old, so I think it's better this way that he self-weaned. Now I don't have to do it when he's like 2 or 3! I think they're very helpful, especially if your baby is with a caregiver during the day, and can't comfort nurse whenever he wants.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#33 of 40 Old 11-15-2009, 04:03 AM

I think pacifiers can be great and I'll try to get my next baby to take one if he or she wants. I think as long as the baby is eating well and gaining, and the latch is decent, a paci can be a very good thing. My daughter would comfort nurse and then get overly full. One good burp and ew, spit-up time.
#34 of 40 Old 11-15-2009, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe they don't cost enough. If they were $18 and made in the Swiss Alps, we'd be showing them off to each other. I'll name my dd's paci "Sophie the Paci". Maybe that'll help. The paci needs an MDC PR boost.
#35 of 40 Old 11-16-2009, 04:35 AM

-
#36 of 40 Old 11-16-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post
I love pacifiers, and i think if they were sold on Etsy and made out of hemp or Romanian amber and kept babies so happy, everyone on MDC would be singing their praises. But they are "mainstream" and therefore suspect. Phooey on that. It relieves a baby's stress with no medicine. IMO, that's a good thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post
Maybe they don't cost enough. If they were $18 and made in the Swiss Alps, we'd be showing them off to each other. I'll name my dd's paci "Sophie the Paci". Maybe that'll help. The paci needs an MDC PR boost.
What insulting responses

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#37 of 40 Old 11-17-2009, 08:57 AM

Bpa was and is present in some pacifiers (it is also present in toys and many other products we use daily). This is a list of BPA free brands I found on a quick search.

http://safemama.com/2008/01/04/bpa-f...s-cheat-sheet/

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
#38 of 40 Old 11-17-2009, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post
What insulting responses
Really? I think, "You're not exclusively breastfeeding if your baby take a pacifier" is insulting. Or "Your breasts should constantly be available." Or any of about a dozen other things I read here on a regular basis.
#39 of 40 Old 11-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Banned

In some areas, like where I live, BPA has been banned and you cannot buy products that contain it.
#40 of 40 Old 11-17-2009, 09:11 PM

Ds was a great bf'er and also used a pacifier. He had a real need to suck and it helped to soothe and comfort him for a very long time. I now have a newborn dd, who is so far a very good bf'er. Whenever I'm around, though, she wants to bf, and I needed to get her to the doctor's office without hysterics. I ended up giving her a pacifier out of desperation, even though it's not recommended until she's a little older. She actually held it in her mouth and was very content. I probably won't make it a habit just yet, but it certainly helped in a situation when she needed comfort and was already well-fed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page