Help! Nipples turn white & hurt like hell! (Vasospasm) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-14-2009, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been getting a lot of very painful vasospasm is my left nipple. (The tip turns white and hurts like crazy). It doesn't occur while breastfeeding. Usually before or after. The main trigger seems to be when my clothing touches it though, so I'm not sure how to avoid this happening. I've made sure my bras and shirts are not too tight. Putting a disposable nursing pad seems to help a little, but not very much.

What can I do to help with this problem? It really hurts!
#2 of 5 Old 11-14-2009, 12:04 PM

Sounds like you may have Reyneaud's Syndrome--you need to see a lactation consultant about this. Nipples blanching white, etc. It's a circulation thing... best wishes!
#3 of 5 Old 11-14-2009, 12:18 PM

Here is a good info sheet from Jack Newman http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

Hopefully there is something there that will help! Also, nipple vasospasm opften starts after some sort of nipple trauma or thrush - any chance that this is the case with you? If so, fixing that issue will help to fix the spasms.
#4 of 5 Old 11-14-2009, 12:39 PM

OMG, that happened to me all the time when I was pregnant! Any time I got the slightest bit cold, my nipples turned white or purple and hurt like heck. After I gave birth, it never happened again. I never knew what it was, so thanks for posting that article. The article seems to have some good tips for making the pain go away. Good luck and hopefully it's just temporary for you too.

Proud Mama of M (11/6/06), wife to T (7/31/04) and teacher of 23 first graders
#5 of 5 Old 11-14-2009, 06:04 PM

I have the same thing, it was really bad when my nipples were cracked and really sore, it has gotten somewhat better as they healed. I try to make sure to keep them well covered (warm) when going outside, etc., otherwise am just living with it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page