Breastmilk storage - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-18-2009, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello!

I am hoping to get some answers from people who are experienced or know the answers...

I am trying to start storing a bit of breastmilk by pumping a little bit every day now that my milk is in. I have some of those Medela freezer vials that are quickly filling up and they are expensive. I want to have lots of them filled by the time my DH takes his FMLA and I am back to work.

I am wondering how the freezer BAGS work because they are a lot less expensive and would probably take up less space in the freezer. Can you just insert them in a special bottle when you want to use them, or do you have to try to dump them into a bottle after thawing, or...? I've discovered that the plastic vials can just have a bottle nipple screwed on top of them, making them SUPER convenient, but...I don't want to spend a fortune on those things, only to use them for several months and possibly never need them again.

What did/do you do about storing breastmilk for another caregiver to use later? Help, please!

Thank you!!!

Kristin

Birthed a beautiful baby boy, Ethan, 11/11/09.
#2 of 7 Old 11-18-2009, 01:16 PM

We do the freezer bags for longer-term storage. They kind of stink, though. We haven't found a brand that doesn't leak, no matter what we do!

If you use a funnel, it's pretty easy to get the milk in any bottle without making a mess or wasting precious milk once it's thawed.

I freeze the bags flat, and then put them in a Ziploc storage bag by date, which takes up very little room in the freezer.

So although we have the irritating leaking issue, it's cheaper and more space-efficient to use the bags.
#3 of 7 Old 11-18-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _betsy_ View Post
We do the freezer bags for longer term storage.

I freeze the bags flat, and then put them in a Ziploc storage bag by date, which takes up very little room in the freezer.

So although we have the irritating leaking issue, it's cheaper and more space-efficient to use the bags.

we use the Lansinoh bags. I've had only a couple of leaks, which cost me about 8oz
But, they work pretty well. You just have to be careful when pouring them into bottles

DS-(1996), DSD-(2001), and our miracle baby girl-(7/7/09) and Always remembering my 3 brokenheart.gif angel babies
and cautiously due May 12, 2011!
#4 of 7 Old 11-18-2009, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Do they break and leak or?? I would be so mad if I lost that precious milk!!

Birthed a beautiful baby boy, Ethan, 11/11/09.
#5 of 7 Old 11-18-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellist View Post
Do they break and leak or?? I would be so mad if I lost that precious milk!!
I've found you have to handle with care. I've had one that leaked along the bottom/side corner and one that somehow developed a small hole
It was very upsetting to lose that milk because I already have supply issues and it's so hard to get enough.
If you freeze them flat and place in a larger freezer bag to protect them it does help. Also be careful with them when you pull them apart (they sometimes stick together)

DS-(1996), DSD-(2001), and our miracle baby girl-(7/7/09) and Always remembering my 3 brokenheart.gif angel babies
and cautiously due May 12, 2011!
#6 of 7 Old 11-18-2009, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've used a combination of the medela and lansinoh bags. never lost any milk that way. Did lose a little bit when an early bottle took a header out of the freezer and cracked though.

Anyway... if there's not too much in the bag and it's pretty flat we've had decent luck breaking up the ice and putting that into the bottle without thawing.
#7 of 7 Old 11-19-2009, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I use the lansinoh bags. I make sure to express all the air from the bags, then I freeze them flat, with only 5 oz. in them. I have found this works the best to ensure no leaks. I also warm them up straight from the freezer (no thawing in the fridge. I worked all this out through trial and error w/ my DS. I have had 2 leaks w/ my DD in the 7 months we have been pumping.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page