my right boob hurts - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-28-2009, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok so I don't know if this is thrush or not?

Only my right boob hurts, its kinda burning itchy only when he latches and after he is finished nursing. The color is lighter than my areloa but I don't know if thats abnormal or not. The left looks the same. but I will admit the right has always been more sensitive.

DS has no symptoms of thrush...I think, I mean he has been gassy, but he also swallows air (fast letdown)

The pain isn't terrible...is it possible to only have it on one side?

I am currently gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free...could I still have a yeast overgrowth?

How can I treat this without meds if it is? if its not what else could it be? DS is 7 weeks and this has been going on for 3-4 days.

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#2 of 4 Old 11-28-2009, 10:45 AM

I am not much help, but I am also eager for an answer on this. I have had on and off issues with my right side. Also have the nipple lighter (pale pink to white in color) than my areloa, mostly after he's finished eating, but sometimes for a little while longer. The pain kind of feels like he's chomped down on my nipple too hard, and it's tramatized.

I, too, thought maybe thrush, but his pedi said no signs inhim, and surey by now he would have transferred it to the other side.

Momma to Samuel Wyatt 8/15/09 and our new addition Jack 9/25/11!   mdcblog5.gif  winner.jpgcd.gif

#3 of 4 Old 11-28-2009, 11:22 AM

They can have thrush and not show any signs - my latest bout of it showed up with just pain in my nipples - but the doctor saw two small colonies in the duo's mouths.

I get that same pain you described - like they've chomped down too hard (and that COULD be a problem too - in that they may have a bit of a bad latch).

Is the nipple ALWAYS a lighter color? Or only just after they've come off? The lighter color could be from them chomping - squeezing the blood out (like when you squeeze your finger...)

I think I'd be tempted to treat with Gentian Violet anyway - can't hurt, but can definitely help if it IS thrush!

Tamika
Mum to 5 wonderful gifts!!
#4 of 4 Old 11-28-2009, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
After a week of increasing pain in the boob/burning sensation/discomfort after nursing, I went to my doctor yesterday and demanded antifungals, even though the classic rash is not present on my nipples or in the baby's mouth. Since I am drastically better after 24 hours of cream plus oral meds, I think it is indeed thrush that I have. It was much worse on one side than the other. I theorize that the outbreak is in my milk ducts.

Now, to clean it out and keep it from recurring...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page