Are Tuna and Sushi safe while nursing?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-02-2009, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know we are supposed to limit our Tuna intake during pregnancy, but what about while breastfeeding? What about Sushi? My husband and I went on our first date night since our 8 week old son was born and I indulged big time without even thinking. I hope it's okay!!

Mama to Kelsey born at 35w6d on 11-05-04 & Troy born at 33w6d on 10-03-09
#2 of 6 Old 12-02-2009, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Tuna is 'unsafe' because of heavy metals. Unless you are eating a metric tonne, you're probably going to be fine.
Sushi is 'unsafe' because of the risk of foodborne illness and parasites. As long as you are eating sushi from a trusted source you should be ok in this camp too.

Now that I think about it, I don't know if heavy metals transfer in BM, I imagine they would. Just don't go on fish diet.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#3 of 6 Old 12-02-2009, 12:59 PM

I eat sushi about once a week, and I have never even thought about it, frankly. (currently nursing #3).

I do pay attention to how much tuna (and certain other fish) I eat because of mercury contamination. I think once a week is the "rule."
#4 of 6 Old 12-02-2009, 01:42 PM

Heavy metals do transfer to breast milk, so I would avoid eating fish such as tuna that are high on the food chain. The only risk with uncooked food is that the mother could get a foodborne illness that could make her dehydrated and decrease her milk supply. I would use common sense and only eat high quality, fresh fish that are low on the food chain.

Totally in love with my mountain man husband, and deeply fallen for my baby bird Gemma (8/09) and a new bird joining the nest this spring!
#5 of 6 Old 12-02-2009, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
this is what my rule of thumb was for the first year of dd's life.

avoid anything that could impact bfeeding.

so i was pretty strict about my diet the first year.

plus a tiny baby. the transfer thru bm will affect them more now than at a year.

i remember one time i unthinkingly had 1/4th of a small cup of white mocha. and my dd had trouble sleeping the whole night. huge reality check for me and set the rest of the years food for me.

pps have told you about dangers of fish. my ob was v. adamant about sushi while preggo. he said japanese women could v. easily with no trouble. not others. i carried over that for two more years (dd didnt start really eating till she was 2). because had i had to stop bfeeding it would have been catastrophic for my dd. later on i discovered seh would NOT drink formula. pig headed child would go hungry but not drink formula. we tried all brands when i mistakenly left my pumped milk outside.

so beware your child might refuse formula if you have to stop nursing for a while.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#6 of 6 Old 12-03-2009, 10:43 AM

while pregnant (lotta eel) and chunk light tuna in water. I WANT FISH ALL THE TIME. I actually googled to see if women in Japan eat sushi while preggers. They do. It's recommended. Oddly enough--Asian kids are stereotyped as smart. I will pretend to put two and two together and eat away while nursing too.

Note: not all sushi is raw--sashimi is exclusively raw
Unagi=eel is generally cooked, low merc, and so darn good I order it with every sushi order (at least weekly)

You can easily google low merc sushi and find good info the stick in your purse for the next date night.

Gorton's fisherman says fish is brain food. I believe everything I hear

I told my midwife about my sushi affairs and she didn't blink.

I see you are also getting some mixed messages. Your judgement is best.

Crunchy con wife with 1 DS and 1 lil DD born in Jan. I love breastfeeding, CDing and Friday night family bed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page