Anyone have any studies demonstrating the safety of breastfeeding while pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-09-2009, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need some evidence based studies showing the safety of breastfeeding during pregnancy. Anyone?? Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2009, 05:32 PM

I would post this in the breastfeeding section and on kellymom.com

Here is what mayoclinic.com says, http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bre...egnant/AN01840.

Dr Sears, http://askdoctorsears.com/faq/pr2.asp

Harmony; fly-by-nursing2.gifslingtwin.giffamilybed2.gifcd.giftreehugger.gifblogging.jpg to DH and first time Mom to Xander! 12/24/2008babyf.gif and Oliver 11/3/10 babyf.gif
Old 12-10-2009, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to Breastfeeding. You might also try the Pregnancy forum

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 12-10-2009, 01:15 AM

I don't know of any studies saying that breastfeeding during pregnancy for the average woman is not safe
Old 12-10-2009, 05:28 AM

my sister nursed my niece the entire time she was pregnant with my nephew. she didnt have any complications or anything. good luck!
Old 12-11-2009, 05:55 PM

I don't think that much has been done, to be honest, unless it's quite recent. Going from memory, there are a couple of studies reported in the LLLI Breastfeeding Answer Book which looked at the weight of babies at birth and found no significant differences between bf mums and non-bf mums. I think there was also one which looked at reported uterine contractions corresponding to bf, and found there to be no effect of these on pregnancy outcomes. But as I say, I am just going from memory and can't cite the actual studies . I can look them up tomorrow (hopefully) and let you have the references (sorry I can't do it now).

Like PatioGardener, I am not aware of a single study which even suggests that it may not be safe for the average pregnant mama.

Watching this thread with interest - I would be interested in anything more.

Best wishes
Heba
Old 12-11-2009, 06:16 PM

i don't have anything, and i've looked. i lost a baby while bf my now 4 yr old and i wanted PROOF for myself and my dr that bf was not the cause. turns out that i have progesterone issues so bf *might* be an issue. i did not nurse during my most recent pg. are you needing this for a dr? i thought it was common knowledge that bf while pg was okay for a low-risk pg? i'm high-risk in other arenas and that is why my dr questioned my bf while pg.

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

Old 12-12-2009, 02:50 AM

From the BFAB p 407: "As of this writing, there are no medical studies that have examined the effect of breastfeeding during pregnancy on pregnancy outcomes."

The studies I mentioned above (there are only two: one covers both things I mentioned) are:
- J Hum Lact. 1993 Jun;9(2):83-8.
Breastfeeding during pregnancy.Moscone SR, Moore MJ.
Abstract here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8251083

- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol 52, 280-288, 1990
Maternal and fetal responses to the stresses of lactation concurrent with pregnancy and of short recuperative intervals K Merchant, R Martorell and J Haas
Abstract here: http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/52/2/280

User Tag List