BFing & Bipolar meds - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-10-2009, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay... so I have a 22 month old and a 3 month old who are both nursing.
A couple months ago, I was having a really, really hard time. I was feeling extremely overwhelmed, crying constantly, getting panicky on a daily basis, etc. This had been going on for a few weeks before I finally made a phone call to see someone for help. That psychologist referred me to a psychiatrist, and I saw her yesterday.
After talking to her, and having her question me about all sorts of things, I realized that what I consider as my "good days", are actually kind of odd. I feel really good on those days, but I get a little nuts with things. Like, I will ignore the pile of dishes, and piles of laundry... but scrub the grout in between my tile. I'll clean all the baseboards... or scrub down my washer and dryer. Also, on those kind of days, I notice that I talk faster, I type faster... I just feel very "peppy". I actually like those days, for the obvious reasons (I get things done), but I'm now realizing that I shouldn't be going from one extreme to another like that.

This dr. doesn't believe I have full fledged bipolar disorder, because my cycling doesn't last for very long... but she thinks that a medication called Lamotrigine would benefit me. She told me that I shouldn't BF while taking it though... and that's basically all she said. She looked through a list of meds to see if there was anything else that might help... maybe an anti anxiety type med (I'm not really sure), but said that there wasn't really anything she could recommend as long as I was nursing.

My youngest is only 3 months! I have no desire to wean him... nor do I want to pressure my 22 month old to wean before he's ready.

Anyone have any suggestions? Should I get a second opinion? Anyone on anti-anxiety meds, or bipolar meds and nursing?

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated! TIA!

Xzavier - 9 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif    Julien - 5  modifiedartist.gif   Jayce - 3  moon.gif    Jaxon - 18mos  jog.gif

Hoping for a babygirl.gif in November!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2009, 05:25 PM

Hi Mama
So sorry you are going through this! I don't know if your drugs are BF compatible but there is a great website by Dr. Hale that lists it or, some mama's on the board own his book and can look it up for you. He is the expert on what is and isn't ok drug wise when bf ing.

link to his site

http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/lact/medi...orumspage.html

Hope this helps!
Wendy
Old 12-10-2009, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! That site is great!
I didn't find the medication that my dr. suggested, but I found one that I believe is the same... and I talked to a lady on another forum who is taking it and BFing. I'm going to email my dr. and see what she thinks.

Xzavier - 9 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif    Julien - 5  modifiedartist.gif   Jayce - 3  moon.gif    Jaxon - 18mos  jog.gif

Hoping for a babygirl.gif in November!

User Tag List