Should I just keep pumping? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 12-20-2009, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryen View Post
Oh and when I rub him chin/cheek area to make him suck he doesn't. Any other reflex areas to try? Touching/squeezing his shoulder makes him wake up but not eat... usually just pisses him off.
Try to squeeze your breast when he is latched on (breast compression) to supply a squirt or milk. That usually results in more sucking/swallowing.

How are his diapers? Is he having 6 heavy wets in 24 hours?

Have you been able to see an LC or comeone from LLL?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 46 Old 12-20-2009, 12:40 PM

Were you able to get a supplemental nursing system? It will solve the problem of your babe refusing the breast because he's frustrated by the slow flow compared to bottles.
Was his weight OK at the doc's the other day?
Are you pumping at least 8 times a day to keep your supply going until you get him back to the breast? Nursing works by supply and demand - if there's no demand there will soon be no supply.
I hope you're doing well, mama

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#33 of 46 Old 12-20-2009, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

He only BF twice last night so I won't be able to judge his diapers for another day or so. I'm going to try to offer only the breast today and see how it goes. He screamed again this morning even though I know he has to be hungry but he's fallen back asleep so I'll try again when he wakes up. This is so difficult. I haven't been able to see a LC yet but I plan on calling tomorrow if we can't get this down today. The one in the hospital didn't help much but maybe a different one would be able to.

Stationed in Fairbanks. Wife to my amazing DH! Mommy to first born son Cody (12/4/09) and furr baby Shadow (04/30/07)!
#34 of 46 Old 12-20-2009, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If he's too hungry to nurse, you need to feed him pumped milk another way, then offer the breast a little while later, when he's not starving. Super hungry babies are just too upset to learn something new, and may not have the strength to nurse properly.

It's best not to offer bottles at all, to avoid nipple confusion. But, if bottles are all you have available right now, it might be best to feed the baby in a way you KNOW he'll eat, so you can try the breast again in an hour or so.

Then keep offering the breast every hour or two during the day, BEFORE he's too hungry to nurse.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
#35 of 46 Old 12-20-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
He only BF twice last night so I won't be able to judge his diapers for another day or so. I'm going to try to offer only the breast today and see how it goes. He screamed again this morning even though I know he has to be hungry but he's fallen back asleep so I'll try again when he wakes up. This is so difficult. I haven't been able to see a LC yet but I plan on calling tomorrow if we can't get this down today. The one in the hospital didn't help much but maybe a different one would be able to.
Do not try to stop supplementing cold turkey. You said you were getting 5-6 oz a day exclusively pumping. It will take time to build up a full milk supply and many women who have had breast surgery will always need to supplement - on top of pumping and using galactogogues such as domperidone.
You could try this method - http://www.lowmilksupply.org/finishatthebreast.shtml
Don't assume he's getting enough to eat because he's sleepy. Some babies are "happy to starve" - mine was - or are tired because they're not getting enough to eat.
You REALLY need to see a LC tomorrow. You can definitely do all your feeding at the breast if you ask her about a SNS.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#36 of 46 Old 12-22-2009, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Well we are able to suck from the breast without screaming now but he isn't really eating. He'll suck lazily for about 5-10 mins and fall asleep. I am going to keep at it but I have a feeling its going to be a comfort thing more than nutrition. At least I know he is getting some benefit and maybe it'll get better and he will take a whole meal at the breast sometime.

Stationed in Fairbanks. Wife to my amazing DH! Mommy to first born son Cody (12/4/09) and furr baby Shadow (04/30/07)!
#37 of 46 Old 12-22-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
At least I know he is getting some benefit and maybe it'll get better and he will take a whole meal at the breast sometime.
If you use a SNS or Lact-Aid he'll be able to get ALL his meals at the breast - even if some of what he eats is formula.
I'm glad things are getting better

#38 of 46 Old 12-22-2009, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I'm working on getting a supplement system. He did really well this morning too. Thanks for all your support.

#39 of 46 Old 12-25-2009, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Couple quick questions:

He'll take breastmilk from a bottle and is no longer screaming at the breast even though he isn't particularly liking the breast. Does that mean we do not have an allergy problem? I have horrible allergies and the Dr said no solids until after 6 months to be safe but could the bfing be bothering him if he will take it from the bottle?

Second, we don't warm his bottles since he takes them without warming without fussing. Do you think he doesn't like the breast milk coming out warm? Should we warm his supplement? I am buying the SNS tonight and will begin using it exclusively and getting rid of the bottles.

Third, hrm... I forgot my third question. Maybe it will come to me later.

He is doing better. He will take the breast but he plays more than eats. He'll suck a little and I know he is getting those good nutrients but he isn't eating enough from the breast to get all his nutrition. I am hoping I can use the SNS on a normal flow and then slow it down bit by bit until he'll take the breast without the formula. I am fairly certain I am making enough milk to feed him, he just won't suck for it. Any tips you all have for the SNS? I plan to tape them in place with the tape the hospital gave us to cover up DH's cast so it won't pull at my skin so badly when I take it off.

#40 of 46 Old 12-25-2009, 05:36 PM

Hi Darryen,
I'm glad to hear you're getting a SNS. Hang in there when you're learning - it will get easier. Are you getting a Medela SNS or a Lact-Aid? If it's the Medela keep in mind that the height of the bottle is important to get it to flow properly.
I found that I didn't need to use the tape (I cupped my breast with my fingers and used the thumb to hold the tube in place) but my SIL used band-aids and just threaded the tube through the non-sticky part.
I don't think allergies are an issue if he's taking the bottles OK.
You can warm the supplement if you want but I have never bothered.
It would be great if you could gradually decrease the supplement - just keep an eye on your little one's weight gain. Average for BF babies up to four months old is 5-7 oz a week. http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...alculator.html You can often rent baby scales inexpensively or there may be a well-baby drop in near you. I found that constant reassurance that my son was growing and gaining really helped me start to relax and enjoy my baby after a rough start.
Good luck!
Please don't hesitate to come back with any SNS questions. There are lots of mamas here who can help you troubleshoot.

#41 of 46 Old 12-25-2009, 05:56 PM

bfar.org

hh2.gif

#42 of 46 Old 12-25-2009, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

It is the SNS from Medela. I am getting the long term use one. It comes with different tubes for varying speeds. Will I still need to be causious of the level?

#43 of 46 Old 12-26-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
It is the SNS from Medela. I am getting the long term use one. It comes with different tubes for varying speeds. Will I still need to be causious of the level?
I think so - but I have more experience with the Lact-Aid. If I recall correctly it's partially gravity-fed so raising the bottle makes the flow faster and lowering it makes it slower. But it comes with a good booklet explaining about positioning and using the different tubes.
Have you started using it yet? How's it going?
Good luck, Darryen!

#44 of 46 Old 12-26-2009, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

I am picking it up on Monday. The lady selling them in town works out of her home and although she said I could come by I didn't want to bother her during the Christmas holiday. I am very excited to try it. He took 8oz last night! I think we have a growth spurt coming.

#45 of 46 Old 12-26-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksign View Post
small world- i am in fbks too- not sure if you have heard about LC Joanne Spears but she is wonderful. works out of public health clinic, does home visits, calls, is basically amazing and knows her stuff. her number is 451-1639. i was a complete wreck in the beginning... and at various points throughout, and she is always there when you need her!
I'm also in FBKS and I second this suggestion. I've never met Joanne myself but know several folks who have greatly benighted from her help. Also, her services are FREE!
#46 of 46 Old 12-27-2009, 04:46 PM

You can use an eyedropper or medicine syringe until you get an SNA. Or even a shot glass for cup feeding. See http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page