Breastfeeding and pregnant. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-17-2009, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas. I'm just looking for reassurance. I'm newly pregnant for baby #4, about 7 wks to be exact. I'm super excited. My only concern is that I'm still nursing my 14 mo old about 5-6 times a day (I dont' really count but if I had to guess that'd be my guess).

I've never had this issue before as my older kids all have big spans between them 4.5-5.5 yrs and had weaned before I got preggers... Everyone that I've told (which isn't many ppl) has said "you need to wean soon" and I honestly do not believe it but I have heard it so many times it's getting to the point that I need someone to tell me different lol. I KNOW that there are many many mamas that nurse thru pregnancy and tandem nurse their babies. I was just looking for info on various websites and most of what I'm reading says that women have a supply drop at around 4 mos or so. That makes me so sad... I just HOPE that I'm not one of them. I love nursing my LO and she has no indication that she wants to be done any time soon.

Please just tell me if you've had a positive experience with nursing while pregnant. I need encouragement right now. FWIW, I've never had an issue with supply, my freezer is actually quite full of milk I just broke into my end of july stash (and have donated in addition to just keeping what I thought I've needed).

Thanks mamas!

Crystal, wife to John, mama to Jordan 11, Callie 6 and Laney 1.5, expecting baby #4 in Aug 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 12-17-2009, 11:38 AM

My DD1 had just turned 2 when I got pregnant with DD2. She was still nursing many times a day.

I nursed all the way through the pregnancy: DD1 dropped down to nursing only 2 or 3 times a day right around 14 weeks. I assumed there was a supply drop or some other change in the milk that would have caused that. But she kept nursing all the way through, even while I was in labor.

There were times when it was painful, but somehow we got through and she is still nursing at 3.5 years old.

Make sure you're getting plenty to eat and drink! And rest (although with 3 others I'm sure that is in short supply!

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#3 of 12 Old 12-18-2009, 04:12 PM

I've nursed older ones through 2 pgs and had very positive experiences.

Just like w/all other things parenting it can be difficult at time but I was thankful to have that tool in my toolbox, especially when I was so tired and all I wanted to do was lay down.

GL!

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.
#4 of 12 Old 12-18-2009, 04:21 PM

Add me to the positive experiences nursing while pregnant. I have nursed successfully through two pregnancies and I am still nursing at 22 weeks preggo. My first and third weaned earlier than #2, but it was their choice not mine. The nursing kid did well and my pregnancies were all fine. I ignored others and my OB in terms of stopping nursing.
#5 of 12 Old 12-18-2009, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
This is the 3rd pregnancy I've nursed through, DD2 is 16 months. I nursed DS through my pregnancy with DD1, then tandem nursed both of them through my pregnancy with DD2. DD1 weaned in October, so now I'm down to just nursing just DD2 through this pregnancy.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#6 of 12 Old 12-18-2009, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I nursed full through with my second pregnancy with no problems in supply and he continued nursing tandem until just before his 4th bday. During my 3rd pregnancy I was really sore and weaned him and dd (she was close to 2). I really regretted that decision so I was very determined during my 4th and 5th pregnancies to keep nursing. My supply did get pretty low toward the end of the last one but dd3 didn't really care. Also she started nursing more again when my milk came back in, so really even with a bit of a dip there it wasn't a really big deal for us.
#7 of 12 Old 12-18-2009, 07:45 PM

Unless you have a history of preterm labor, there's no need to wean (you may WANT to, though, nursing through pregnancy can be...difficult). And while my milk did dry up at some point, my son kept nursing. He was 11 months old when I conceived, is 3 now, and the longest he's gone without nursing was the 3-5 days immediately after his brother was born when a) he thought my milk was "yucky", and b) my afterpains were so bad I didn't want to nurse my newborn, much less my toddler.
#8 of 12 Old 12-20-2009, 12:37 AM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#9 of 12 Old 03-02-2010, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Just a quick update. I am still nursing my Laney about the same 5-6 times per day. I have not noticed a drop in supply at all and she hasn't seemed to complain about anything.

Around 14 weeks (I'm 17 wks now) it did become uncomfortable with the initial latch... But I'm dealing with it. It's still so worth it. Thanks mama's for the encouragement.

Crystal, wife to John, mama to Jordan 11, Callie 6 and Laney 1.5, expecting baby #4 in Aug 2010
#10 of 12 Old 03-03-2010, 01:31 PM

I nursed threw a pregnancy. My DS was 12months when I got pregnant. I was ALWAYS thirsty and hungry, I did loose weight the first half of my pregnancy but since I was eating a ton and a little fluffy it wasn't a concern.

I too had people tell me I had to wean, that you can't support a pregnancy and a nursling at the same time but that is not true.

I also had times of very sore nipples but just "delt" with it as DS really wasn't ready to wean. My milk did dry up in the second trimester but DS continued to dry nurse (which is also painful but not unmanagable)

Congrats on your pregnancy!

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#11 of 12 Old 03-03-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldawn View Post
Just a quick update. I am still nursing my Laney about the same 5-6 times per day. I have not noticed a drop in supply at all and she hasn't seemed to complain about anything.

Around 14 weeks (I'm 17 wks now) it did become uncomfortable with the initial latch... But I'm dealing with it. It's still so worth it. Thanks mama's for the encouragement.
Great update!

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#12 of 12 Old 06-22-2012, 04:55 PM

Hi. I found out I was pregnant again when my son was 7 months old. So I continued to breastfeed him thru my whole pregnancy, even when my nipples were sore, because he didn't show any signs of wanting to stop. Everyone including my doctor and family said I should stop but my son didn't want to and the baby girl inside of me was perfectly healthy. I had such a hard time nursing with the 1st baby that I wanted my nipples to be prepped and ready for baby number 2. My son is happy when he breastfeeds so just do what's best for u and your kids.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page