Took pepto bismol last night, can I still breastfeed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-25-2009, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all. well I came down with a stomach bug and took pepto bismol last night (which didnt help at all). Anyway I am just now realizing that its not recommended while nursing because of the aspirin and reyes syndrome. Anyway this was 12 hours ago and I did throw up maybe an hour or so after taking it so Im not sure that much of it stayed in my system.. My daughter is 18 months and nurses 2 or 3 times a day though sometimes more. I am just wondering if its ok for me to still breastfeed her today.. I really wish I hadnt taken the pepto bismol... Anyway thanks all for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2009, 03:44 PM

I wouldn't worry about it as long as your dd doesn't have a fever. If she does, I'd hold off a little bit longer (but I admit I'm really cautious about that kind of thing.)

Hope you feel better soon!

Mama of three.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

thanks elm
Old 12-26-2009, 01:11 AM

I took two doses before I read online that I shouldn't take it and nurse. I was out of town without a pump and no real alternatives, so I continued breastfeeding and just trusted everything would be ok. It didn't seem to phase him a bit.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:09 AM

Your little one is likely ok. I wouldn't imagine there is much aspirin in pepto. I have to take a daily baby aspirin due to a bone marrow condition, and DD's ped says I shouldn't stop nursing, even if the baby has a fever, because the chances of enough aspirin getting into the breastmilk to cause Reyes is just not likely at that dose. So I'd think it'd be similar with pepto.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
Old 12-26-2009, 02:33 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I did and I nursed. I have crohns and take it when i have a lot of symptoms sneak up on me. I dont notice anything different about dd who is almost 2 and nursed about 4 times a day.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years

User Tag List