Nursing bra help - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-02-2010, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking to order my nursing bras pretty soon but I am having trouble with sizing. I technically wore a 42B pre-pregnancy, but that is a hard size to find outside specialty stores and since I was cheap and lazy I just wore 42Cs. The initial growth in my first trimester caused me to need another two inches or so of band and I ended up filling the C. So in the middle of my eighth month I'm a 44C.

*Side note - I don't trust bra fitters because I have never found one that gives me an accurate fit. They always either give me a band size that won't even go around me or tell me I should be wearing a huge cup size. Trust me, each one fits in a hand, they are not Ds or anything larger.

I don't want to wait until my milk comes in to order my bras but how am I supposed to guess how big I'll get? I mean, for me, there's a pretty big difference between 1 and 2 cup sizes, which will make the difference between one size and another. And I have barely grown at all through my pregnancy so I don't know what to expect.

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

#2 of 7 Old 01-03-2010, 12:11 AM

Get a couple nursing sports bras for now- places like Target and Walmart have them, but definitely wait until your milk comes in to order real bras. Your boobs will thank you for getting a good fit. You would not BELIEVE the size changes that can happen when your milk comes in. I have found that bra sizing is a crap shoot at best- take your own measurements (using a cloth or paper tape, measure around your chest under your arms and above your boobs- that is your band size- then measure around your chest and across your nipples- the # of inches different from the band size is your cup size (ie. 1 inch=a 2inches=b, etc.) This has never given me a perfect fit, but it gets you in the ball park.
I HIGHLY recommend the website figleaves.com- they have the widest range of sizes in nursing bras I have ever come across (and I am a hard to fit 34/36I) and after the initial shipping charge ALL EXCHANGES AND RETURNS ARE FREE!!! I went through probably 20 bras, with 5 different shipments, before I got the one that was just right- all for about $4.00 shipping.
Having been nursing for over three years now, I am glad I got the best fit possible, and sorry I wasted so much time in the beginning wearing bras that weren't quite right.
#3 of 7 Old 01-03-2010, 11:33 PM

You should definitely wait and go the sports bra/shelf tank route at first (my boobs were too big for anything at Target, but I got a couple nursing tank tops with shelf bras from motherhood maternity...not great support, but good enough at first).

There's no way to predict how you'll change....I went from a 36DD to a 36H, my sister went from 38C to a 40F, and my best friend only went up a cup size. breakoutbras.com also has a great range of sizes and low shipping (free I think, or close to it). Their customer service people are really helpful too. Also, measure yourself...I too have had bad luck with getting accurate measurements.
#4 of 7 Old 01-04-2010, 12:29 AM

ITA w/the others. Get a nursing tank until you know what size you are when your milk comes in. I love Target nursing tanks. They are $17 and well worth it! And, I'm a DDD when nursing and the Target tanks fit really well.

, , , mama to Ross , Reagan (8/29/05), Joshua (from Haiti...here NOW due to the earthquake!), and Elijah , born safely 9-8-09.
#5 of 7 Old 01-05-2010, 12:35 AM

birthandbaby.com is owned by a former lll leader, and the shipping is only $1, and they have a great return policy, so you can buy 10 bras if you want, and pay little for shipping, then return as many as you need to.

The site also has great help as far as sizing.

Wife to DH (10/2004) ~ Mama to DS (1/2009) ~ belly.gif (11/2011)
#6 of 7 Old 01-05-2010, 03:37 PM

yeah, start with some stretchy sports-type bras.

Here's another idea that worked for me. I hated my nursing bras. After the initial getting used to latching on and such, I just wore my regular bras and pushed the cup out of the way.
#7 of 7 Old 01-06-2010, 07:59 AM

Yeah, wait until milk comes in. I went from 36B to 40D and almost passed out from shock! I wear nursing tanks with shelf bra (from Target) pretty much daily. Much comfier/cheaper/easier to fit than nursing bras.

enjoying motherhood way more than science:
married to DH love.gif (2003) mama to DDenergy.gif(Nov 2008) & DSbabyf.gif   (Mar 2011)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page